Black walnut? Did some milling today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like English due to the bark. I’ve got an English on the saw horses waiting to be milled one of these weekends.

I'm guessing English because the bark doesn't look right for Black. Never seen English though.

Nice CSM. Home made? If so I'd like to see more of it. What saw are you using?

View attachment 807268he piece on the left. Walnut cuts like butter
Nice truck!
Mines an '89 and still strong as a goat!
Put helper springs and the available Toyota RV Chasis Shocks in to give it more load capacity and stiffer ride.

48567990706_a09df4d074_c.jpg

I'm guessing English, the black walnut I've cut here was darker and had less sapwood, we just milled 4 logs of english yesterday. The sapwood cuts easier than the heart wood.

288.jpg
Gave the 090 the day off because all the pieces fit through the smaller mill and we could get away with a lighter saw (ported 288) and run a 34" bar and 3/8" chain. Its Oregon 3/8 x 0.063 chisel, full skip, sharpened at 30 degrees, fairly aggressive hook to the cutters (if anyone cares)

288-mill.jpg

milling 1.jpg
Urban milling at its finest, made sure to do it on a sunday when everything was closed. All the concrete makes for one hell of a noise. Having to clean up the sawdust is also a new phenomenon for us, usually we mill in the woods and just leave it all on the ground.

milled wood.jpg
All cut at 3" with the odd 1-1.5" piece so that we got good use of all of it.

These were branches off of a tree that had come down in a guy's back yard. We also milled the crotch late last year it required the big mill.

Latest posts

Back