Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let's try this again.

Here's my new 390XP. I've had a hankering for either a 385 or 390 for a while now.

IMG7837-M.jpg

IMG7840-M.jpg

Last edited:
This afternoon I fired it up for a few seconds to make sure it ran right. I then swapped out the coil for an unlimited one. I also tri-ported the muffer. This vid is the fery first cuts made with the saw. It's tuned to 13,200. The P&C are now setting on my desk:rock:

Last edited:
I absolutely love the 390 simon did for me. I like it so much that I sold my 372xpw. For a little bit of weight gain. it blows the 372 away and isn't much bigger physically. Have fun with it Brad. I always like seeing and learning new stuff.

did you use the larger husky deflectors to port the muffler and were do you get your oem unlimited coils, baileys says there discontinued, have fun with your new toy looking forward to seeing it after the porting

Unlimited eom coils can usually be found on ebay for a lot less than new.

Looks real good! Can you post some pics of your "tri-port" muffler? Can't wait to see the end product on this one. Is that an Oregon Reduced Weight bar? Did you already wear off the silk screen logo with use or remove it another way? Looks better without IMO. :msp_thumbsup:

I like the 390s as they balance so good I can run them just as long as a 372. They have plenty of power for a 32" full comp in hardwoods with a little work. The 395s will out pull them with a 42".

What makes a 385/390 better than a 395

I have owned all of them and there are advantages and disadvantages to each model. But to answer your ? simply the 385/390 and the 395 all have the same stroke 38mm or 1.5 " now the 385 has a non windowed 54mm piston , the 390 has a 55mm non windowed piston and both 385 & 390 have inboard clutches and the chain tensionier in the side cover of the saw. Also the 385/390 is about 16lbs dry which is about 2lbs lighter than a 395 at 18lbs dry now these weights are true weights of the saw not the factory advertisment. Now the 395 has a 56mm windowed piston , an out board clutch with the chain tensioner in the body of the saw. So there I gave you the specs and differences. The only thing that makes a 390 better than a 395 is in stock form the power to weight ratio is higher and the easier access to the chain tension adjustment screw. But the 395 is made very very well it is one of the toughest saws ever made and for a long bar saw it's hard to beat. The 395 is a torque saw for cutting big trees all day or milling. I am actually building a 390xp with a 56mm bore and a 2100 thin ring piston if I can locate one. If not I will use a Meteor 395 piston. So I hope all this garble of info I just spit out help you to answer your question.

Back