bundles sold out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well I delivered my last 10 bundles of firewood today. That makes about 90 bundles I sold. Not bad at all! I sell to a local gas station for $4, and they sell them for $5. Averaging about a bundle every day or two.

But then, I can easily make more - I got another hundred bags and plenty of fairly dry wood ready to split smaller to stuff in the bags.

It's sure easy money.

I was just thinking this morning that I only have a couple more loads to split and then its time to start the bundles, not looking forward to it. I don't get that much either Uncle, but I don't have to cut the wood.

I have a few metal buckets - I fill the buckets with the wood, throw a mesh bag over the top and around the sides of the bucket down to the bottom, flip it all over and pull off the bucket so the wood is all in the bag, then shove a few more pieces into the center to fill it out. Maybe I'll try and get a video of the process.

Pitiful for bundles here this winter, maybe did a dozen or so. Last winter was great, that fantastic marketing name all over the news, POLAR VORTEX, plus propain becoming either ridiculous expensive or unobtanium. Firewood sold out around here, cords/bundles, gone, green wood only.

I make mine with a small roll of shrinkwrap and an old computer case, plus some heavy brown paper. I make a fat handfull of thin pine splits, wrap it in the brown paper. That's bonus free kindling inside. Then a five gallon bucket crammed full of oak heartwood for a measure. Lay in the box with the ends sticking out, wrap that end good and tight, pick the wad out of the box, flip it around with the loose off the edge of the table, finish wrapping. I stick the kindling anyplace on the inside where it fits. Slow and tedious, but I have absolutely the best bundles around here, I've looked at all of them. Biggest bundles, best wood, cleanest wood.

Just ain't sellin..oh well..ain't worried about that oak, it'll be good for next winter, too.

Well I delivered my last 10 bundles of firewood today. That makes about 90 bundles I sold. Not bad at all! I sell to a local gas station for $4, and they sell them for $5.

So they only make $1 a bundle? I'm not up on this subject, but it hardly sounds worth it for them if they have such a small profit, no?

I have a few metal buckets - I fill the buckets with the wood, throw a mesh bag over the top and around the sides of the bucket down to the bottom, flip it all over and pull off the bucket so the wood is all in the bag, then shove a few more pieces into the center to fill it out. Maybe I'll try and get a video of the process.
I'd apply for the patent first.;)

But they are not handling it at all and making 25% plus when one buys a bundle they more than likely buy a case of beer, pop, snacks, gas, candy etc.

You've got the idea! Just need a reason for someone to stop sometimes to make the bigger purchase.

But they are not handling it at all and making 25% plus when one buys a bundle they more than likely buy a case of beer, pop, snacks, gas, candy etc.

Yup. They did absolutely NOTHING and make a buck every time. And yet I'm happy because he increases my market by selling it for me. Ahh, capitalism! THIS is how it works, y'all!

I have seen the bundled wood being sold at convenience stores----- pretty pathetic. I notice there is no name or phone# on any of them either. Glad to see someone takes pride in what they sell.

I'm assuming that it's regulated here in MD, like every thing else, but all of the bundles I've seen are marked. They have the producers name and address and quantity of wood. I've seen from .75 to .87 of a cubic foot. At .87 CF that's about 147 bundles per cord and at the selling price of 6.99, about $1028 per cord. Don't know what the seller pays the processor, but I think they are both making money. The Ace Hardware had a big rack in front of the store, and the first weed end they put it out the thing was empty in 2 days, Joe.

Is it like roses and you get to raise the price the week before Valentine's Day :D

Store's profit seemed a bit skinny when I first read it...but if you do the math...

Let's figure he buys 15 bundles at a time. That's $60 of his money tied up.

I'm assuming Unc is restocking the display, so there's no labor for the store other than collecting the cash.

3 months, 90 bundles sold, $90 profit on an investment of $60.

That's an annual percentage rate of 16.6% -- he's making credit card interest on this deal.

Maybe less if he keeps an inventory going year round, but then again maybe not as the fire pit weather comes back.

(I'm also a bit impressed Unc is getting paid up front, but it is probably a little one owner, one store operation. A LOT of stuff in a lot of convenience stores is sold on consignment. The Newspapers get delivered daily, once a week they pick up the on sold ones and collect the cash / bill for the difference. Chips & Soda follow the same sort of model -- the Frito Lay guy figures out how much to stock and the store pays for what was sold when he restocks it.

It really reduces the cash the stores need to tie up in inventory.)

The store owners are one family, and they attend my church. They own a radio-shack and gas/convenience store. I think they do pretty good business, and they would sell ethanol-free gas if they could get it, but their Phillips 66 supplier doesn't carry it.

Small businesses are best. I do what I can to support them, and they pay me back as well.

Latest posts

Back