Butterfly Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of butterly chain used up near Mount Saint Helen right after the eruption?

It was designed (by US Govt) to cut trees with pumice (volcanic ash) on the bark.

Suppose to have a different designed tooth than normal in deminsions and materials?

I may be wrong on this but it was because they threw away the chains after 1 use. Carbide was also tried but failed miserabley.

Volcanic ash was not on the bark, but inbedded in the bark. And for the record the date of the eruption was May 18 1980

Kolve chain?

Yes Kolve is on the loop I was sent.

Have not tried it yet.

What was it suppose to do?

The little wings broke off. It would be better to leave it unused and preserve it as new.

I met a guy that built his log home with the stuff. he used it to fell the trees, mill the boards, channel the logs, etc. He swore by the stuff and wished it was still made.....

He showed me some that were used to their fullest life and the wings were still intact. I got an almost new loop for me to try on my mill. The finish this chain leaves on wood that is milled is unbelieveable compared to conventional ripping chain. It was also a fast cutting crosscut chain from the little bit I got to run (demo) it.

Using carbide chain to cut logs is about like trying to use a chainsaw file to cut cardboard, it will do it but will work you and your saw to death.

Rapco chain was also used on that project. The same thing happened to their chain as some of the others that were tried. The bigger issue is the frame of the chain couldn't hold up to the slurry that the ash and bar oil created. If you think your chains stretched in a hurry, these were the ultimate adverse effects on the frame of the chain.

What about the Stihl Rapid Duro chain? That is supposed to be cobalt and tungsten, the 2006 Stihl catalogue had it on the 460 rescue saw, I have never seen it in the flesh.

My Dad told me about those days, carrying 10+ chains to work.....He said it was a #####.

Took me a while, but here is a pic:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back