Butterfly Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kolve chain

Worked at a Lock and dam site in the70's and 80's used Kolve to cut gate and guide wall timbers that were impregnated with river grit, would outlast regular chain about 5 or 6 to one. Needed some ponies to run it, we used a Homelite 360 with 16 bar 3/8 50 gauge. Filed it with round file straight across for scoring hooks and right and left rakers, hard material to file as well.

Worked at a Lock and dam site in the70's and 80's used Kolve to cut gate and guide wall timbers that were impregnated with river grit, would outlast regular chain about 5 or 6 to one. Needed some ponies to run it, we used a Homelite 360 with 16 bar 3/8 50 gauge. Filed it with round file straight across for scoring hooks and right and left rakers, hard material to file as well.

Lloyd,

You guys had a modern saw. When I worked at the Lock and Dam we had had older saws. We rarely ever cut old timbers just the new ones. Most of the time when the old ones came off they were alraedy busted up. I still have a pile of full length ones here the maintence crew pulled off when the pulled all the gates.

Bill

My Dad told me about those days, carrying 10+ chains to work.....He said it was a #####.

Must've been because when we burned the area, after the logging, we would find a stash of chains now and then. I wasn't here yet when it was logged but a lot of ground was covered, a lot of big wood brought out, in a fairly short time.

Must've been because when we burned the area, after the logging, we would find a stash of chains now and then. I wasn't here yet when it was logged but a lot of ground was covered, a lot of big wood brought out, in a fairly short time.

I bet those chains are from the St. Helens days...They said guys were packing 7 to 10 chains a day, and using them all too. I bet Oregon chain got rich on that disaster!

I had the ?pleasure? of cutting througha batch of that ash again the other day. A big, multi stem locusst witha void, the void was full of ash. Chain seems to have survived and didn't loose much of its edge. Cut quite a few trees in the past with that ash in every crotch - not nice.

Harry K

I bet those chains are from the St. Helens days...They said guys were packing 7 to 10 chains a day, and using them all too. I bet Oregon chain got rich on that disaster!

Yes. And some of the ones found were in excellent shape. I never found any though. We still deal with that ash. It is packed in the limbs on trees and the old Hemlocks really will have it. Clumps. Cut the limbs off, buck the tree up, and then file the chain...

Back