CARB compliant or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old mechanical pump diesel pickup trucks used to get up to 21mpg 20 years ago, now with all the smog stuff on them they get about 12-13mpg. Big rigs in CA are a joke too with big $10000 exhaust filters and computer motors our trucks tend to overheat much more. My kids school just got a free bus from the state for crushing the old bus and the new pos breaks weekly(computer stuff) and gets 4mpg instead of 6-7 mpg like the old one. Love clean air! I do like more efficient and powerful motors of all kinds but not if it comprimises durability. BTW commercial jets dump tens of thousands of gallons of jet-a fuel into the air everyday so I wouldn't worry about these little 2 stroke motors. All that being said I do want a 562xp badly, I think it's a step in the right direction, not sealed carb adjustments.

Yeah well when yellow stone blows I hope they see that disabling the workforce of America was a bad idea even if founded on good intentions. I'm not saying they are all bad just seem to pick wrong areas to do their bidding I know why don't they start by cleaning up nuclear waste instead of messing with the work force :)

So tell Me how their regulations have helped me again? I would like you to include what happened to our manufacturing jobs while your at it :)
Our manufacturing jobs went away because the US peaked in oil production in the early 1970's (that was the peak in per capita income too). After that we ran up more and more debt to keep the more expensive oil flowing from foreign sources, and with the servicing of that debt manufacturing no longer provided the return that investors expected. So the jobs were sent to places where the wages were much lower in an attempt to get the returns back up.

Now the world has peaked in the rate of oil production, energy costs are much higher yet, and the manufacturing will simply decline until it isn't done anymore. And the products will no longer be available. You can find whatever boogieman you want to blame - the EPA, the unions, the greedy rich, and they've all helped the process along - but it was always all about oil, and it still is.

It's perfectly reasonable for a country to limit how much crap a company's products can pump into the air. Of course some companies that have not spent any money on product development will whine and cry, and then produce garbage. And hopefully lose their business and go under. Other companies will do a better job and get that business making better products. That's a good thing. It's a good reason to buy on the merits of the product rather than brand loyalty.

The products I design have to meet a lot of US and international standards for safety and electromagnetic interference and susceptibility. The standards are tough, and I don't agree with the ideas in all of them. But we meet them, through careful design and understanding of the rules. I've seen the crap other companies try to get away with, and usually it shows they didn't understand it and didn't put in the effort. There's no excuse for a poorly done job.

Right maybe they should of seen their resulting mess of economy coming! I did 30 years ago now lets talk how we deal with real threats like nuclear waste leave them poor wood cutter alone most of them know how to use a real fuel can anyway :)

Right maybe they should of seen their resulting mess of economy coming! I did 30 years ago now lets talk how we deal with real threats like nuclear waste leave them poor wood cutter alone most of them know how to use a real fuel can anyway :)
I agree with you there - I regard dealing with nuclear waste as the most important issue we face. You see, even people who seem completely opposed often have things they agree on!

Our manufacturing jobs went away because the US peaked in oil production in the early 1970's (that was the peak in per capita income too). After that we ran up more and more debt to keep the more expensive oil flowing from foreign sources, and with the servicing of that debt manufacturing no longer provided the return that investors expected. So the jobs were sent to places where the wages were much lower in an attempt to get the returns back up.

Now the world has peaked in the rate of oil production, energy costs are much higher yet, and the manufacturing will simply decline until it isn't done anymore. And the products will no longer be available. You can find whatever boogieman you want to blame - the EPA, the unions, the greedy rich, and they've all helped the process along - but it was always all about oil, and it still is.

Jobs went to places the epa can't bankrupt. I know we need epa to a degree but they single handedly shut American jobs down sorry u can't see that.

Well that same company made perfect vehicles before government control and if I could buy this brand new just as they were made i would be doing so but regulations ruined dependability period I'm sorry if you can't accept that some witnessed the decline since 65!
Don't let nostalgia blur your vision... I love old vehicles also, but I have also owned them!

We can all talk about how nice the days of 57 Chevy's and 1970 Hemi Cuda's were, but let's be realistic!

Don't let nostalgia blur your vision... I love old vehicles also, but I have also owned them!

We can all talk about how nice the days of 57 Chevy's and 1970 Hemi Cuda's were, but let's be realistic!

ok lets do that then best truck I ever owned was a 67 ford carbed with a 240 inline drove it 8 years two wrecks and sold it still driving.

now fast forward 2006 50k truck stranded twice in 45k miles then 2007 different make 39k truck sold but before i could sell needed work.
the 67 was mint cost me 1k ok carry on tell me I'm silly and the new ones were better :)

Last edited:
ok lets do that then best truck I ever owned was a 67 ford carbed with a 240 inline drove it 8 years two wrecks and sold it still driving.

now fast forward 2006 50k truck stranded twice in 45k miles then 2007 different make 39k truck sold but before i could sell needed work.
the 67 was mint cost me 1k ok carry on tell me I'm silly and the new ones were better :)
You have to admit, modern engine control management has allowed a modern engine to produce damn near twice the power from displacement, while benefiting from superior fuel mileage. And cleaner burning!

A bare bones V6 Mustang of today will literally run circles around even the best of the late 60's... And it can also stop and corner with grace.

And a heater and air conditioning are standard, as are seatbelts, doors that stay latched in the event of a collision, a roof that won't crush in like a piece of paper, and a metal dashboard that won't crack open your skull in a collision. Of course, you may just fly through the non-safety glass, and impale yourself on the hood ornament (which has actually happened)...

Of course, these are all problems that can only exist if the fricken old car would just stop stalling on a damp day trying to back out of the driveway. And then stalls again at the stop sign at the end of the road...

You have to admit, modern engine control management has allowed a modern engine to produce damn near twice the power from displacement, while benefiting from superior fuel mileage. And cleaner burning!

A bare bones V6 Mustang of today will literally run circles around even the best of the late 60's... And it can also stop and corner with grace.

And a heater and air conditioning are standard, as are seatbelts, doors that stay latched in the event of a collision, a roof that won't crush in like a piece of paper, and a metal dashboard that won't crack open your skull in a collision. Of course, you may just fly through the non-safety glass, and impale yourself on the hood ornament (which has actually happened)...

Of course, these are all problems that can only exist if the fricken old car would just stop stalling on a damp day trying to back out of the driveway. And then stalls again at the stop sign at the end of the road...

Burp I beg to differ put that v6 up against a gt 350 with 427 and the go baby go button! I will say electronics were improvements and some of the collision factors. My 69 chevelle ss would also stomp the v6 imo.

Ok thanks guys. I ordered an Echo 355T for $449 but the CARB compliant one was $399 and i was wonder what was so different about it making it $50 cheaper.

I am glad I didn't answer the first post as it was kind of general. This is interesting as one would think even if the two saws were identical and essentially one had to follow some certification process that would incur more cost. Would it be possible there is some government money redistribution of funds to make that price difference. I don't want to know bad enough to get and study the parts sheets though I would like it if someone could say why it is. Looking at the pictures of that saw apart with the skinny transfer passages and full circle or stuffed crank it probably gets different tweaks to meet those regulations than the more conventional designs, just a guess. It gets a 300 hour rating to start with doesn't it?

you need to learn how to drive a car insted of letting a computer do it :confuse:

Last edited:
you need to learn how to drive a car insted of leting a computer do it :confuse:

Also shows a basic lack of understanding, old tech is very simple, keeping a vintage vehicle running well is a no brainer.
I did replace the points on the in-line with the Petronic system and kept the original ignition for the eventual failure of the electronics.
The only V6 that has the power to contest a big V8, are the old axle snappers that GMC used to make.

Burp I beg to differ put that v6 up against a gt 350 with 427 and the go baby go button! I will say electronics were improvements and some of the collision factors. My 69 chevelle ss would also stomp the v6 imo.

The GT350s were smallblock cars and the GT500s got the BB. The 427 side oiler .was a dealer installed option. There were GT350s with Webers and Paxton superchargers....

Ford's base engine in the F150 is a 300hp 3.7l V-6 and the Eco Boost is 370hp(?) twin turbo V-6. We'll have to see how long they hold up....

The GT350s were smallblock cars and the GT500s got the BB. The 427 side oiler .was a dealer installed option. There were GT350s with Webers and Paxton superchargers....

Ford's base engine in the F150 is a 300hp 3.7l V-6 and the Eco Boost is 370hp(?) twin turbo V-6. We'll have to see how long they hold up....

Yup my bad I always get the 350 and 500s crossed of course either would hang with the v6 imo. So would the super bee

Last edited:
so after all of the bs about blah blah blah......noone has answered the question what is the difference between the epa carb and the non epa carb.....minus the limiter caps

Back