Carbide Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SliverPicker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been in one patch of blowndown junk after another this year. Some of these trees have been on the ground for multiple years. I am constantly changing and sharpening chains when delimbing due to dirt. Some days are worse than others.

Would one of these high dollar carbide chains be a solution to this dilemma? I've never even seen one and I don't know anyone who's used one. I don't really feel like buying a diamond grinding wheel either.

I am probably losing an hour and a half per day fiddling with chains.

They do cut pretty well and I have sharpened one with a diamond burr on a dremel. One thing you have to watch out for is the chipping or cracking off of the cutters. Make sure you have good lubrication, and maybe hit it with wd-40 and make sure it stays cool. Seems if the chain gets really hot the glue fails and the carbide tooth comes off.

A lower reving saw may be better than a ported 372 that I used for one chain, had 3 cutters chip after a tank of gas, since then no more cutters have failed with 7 more tanks doing stumps in the dirt.

Not cheap but will prolly work better for your situation.

I've been in one patch of blowndown junk after another this year. Some of these trees have been on the ground for multiple years. I am constantly changing and sharpening chains when delimbing due to dirt. Some days are worse than others.

Would one of these high dollar carbide chains be a solution to this dilemma? I've never even seen one and I don't know anyone who's used one. I don't really feel like buying a diamond grinding wheel either.

I am probably losing an hour and a half per day fiddling with chains.

Howdy,
I have a few different kinds of carbide coated chain. It sharpens with a standard file or grinding wheel. If I have the kind of chain you're running in stock, I'll comp you a loop if you'll come back on here with your honest opinion. Doesn't matter if it's good, bad, or indifferent.
Let me know.

Regards
Gregg

GD, I will glady take you up on that. I am very curious how the stuff works. Tomorrow I start in on another patch of blowdown. I got a bunch on the ground with the Timbco today and tomorrow the limbs are coming off. I will be in this patch for at least a few weeks.

I'm running Stihl round chisel chain. 20" loop. I don't know any more specifics than that. I gave up on the Oregon/Carlton chain. It gets dull instantly. The Stihl holds an edge longer most of the time.

Ed

GD, I will glady take you up on that. I am very curious how the stuff works. Tomorrow I start in on another patch of blowdown. I got a bunch on the ground with the Timbco today and tomorrow the limbs are coming off. I will be in this patch for at least a few weeks.

I'm running Stihl round chisel chain. 20" loop. I don't know any more specifics than that. I gave up on the Oregon/Carlton chain. It gets dull instantly. The Stihl holds an edge longer most of the time.

Ed

Is it semi-chisel?

I wonder how that stuff would hold up hitting bullets like I do here so often? My guess would be that it'd cut through little bits better than regular chain, but would break off like anything else when it hit a big piece. Still, during both fire season and spring cleanup, I hit plenty of lead and copper. One of these days I'll buy a loop and see how it goes.

Howdy,
Here's a link to the chain http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/stay-sharp-carbide-coated-saw-chain/

Sliver,
I'm guessing that you're running .050 gauge. Does you're drive link have a 3 on it? If so, I have some based on the Oregon 72LGX chain. I noticed it wasn't listed as one of the options on the link I posted, so I'll get with our developer to fix that.

I sent out a bunch of samples of the 18HX SS to Harvester, and Processor manufacturers. The harvester folks don't think the extended cutting time would warrant the additional price. I got a totally different response from the firewood processor folks. It was interesting that the samples I sent to processor manufacturers went to end users in Texas. I guess they must have the toughest stuff to deal with.

Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Here's a link to the chain http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/stay-sharp-carbide-coated-saw-chain/

Sliver,
I'm guessing that you're running .050 gauge. Does you're drive link have a 3 on it? If so, I have some based on the Oregon 72LGX chain. I noticed it wasn't listed as one of the options on the link I posted, so I'll get with our developer to fix that.

I sent out a bunch of samples of the 18HX SS to Harvester, and Processor manufacturers. The harvester folks don't think the extended cutting time would warrant the additional price. I got a totally different response from the firewood processor folks. It was interesting that the samples I sent to processor manufacturers went to end users in Texas. I guess they must have the toughest stuff to deal with.

Regards
Gregg

Well hale yayess!

Howdy,

Sliver,

Regards
Gregg

I would like to try that 72LGX based chain, keep us posted!!!

Howdy,

Sliver,

Regards
Gregg

My drive link says "72". You are correct; .050 gauge.

Latest posts

Back