Chainsaw Maintenance List keeps growing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2 weeks ago my 290 was having problems starting, and this past week the 461 was having similar problems. 5 pulls to start cold, and when warm, sometimes easy and other times I didn't think it would start. Now 2 pulls when cold, one pull when warm.

Now after cutting, say 1 a cord or more --
1) Sharpen the chain's cutters (check the rakers)
2) Clean the bar (channel and oiler hole)
3) Compressed air clean the air filter
4) Compressed air clean the fuel filter (this is what solved both saws erratic starting)
5) Overall inspection and cleaning (as time permits, but completely before winter storage)
6) Flip the bar when reinstalling
7) Spark Plug (IDK, when some other symptom occurs, or all else fails)

Having saw problems out in the field is no fun. I'm usually out 5 to 6 hours, and frustration on top of extreme physical activity, ruins my day.

You shouldn't have to clean the fuel filters very often at all.

I've noticed while watching others cut that some people aren't very careful with keeping trash out of the tank. Even if your chain is sharp, cutting dead wood like I do will get dust all around your caps. I blow them off with a quick breath before opening and there's no issue. Can't say I have had to clean a fuel filter on any of my saws...

I change the fuel filter in the gas tank. If not the fine saw dust will make its way into the fine screen in the carb. Don’t ask me how I found that out.
In the owners manual is says to flush the gas tank and oil tank to get the dirt and saw dust out of them. I ran the saws all winter no sleep for them or me. Lol Even though I clean the gas cap area before fueling that fine saw dust can get in there.

After a day of work.
The older plastic air filters I wash them with either then blow them from the inside out. I split the halves then wash them. Each day after cutting.
The newer paper elements I blow them out from the inside.
I blow out the engine and carb area.
Check the bar rails for wear, correct if needed. Clean the groove if it’s apart. I have a harbor freight belt sander that squares bars, after the bar is squared I bevel the edge inside and outside of the groove,
Sharpen chain, check rakers.
Lube clutch and bar nose. Clean out clutch cover.

Can’t afford a bad day at work cutting. It’s unacceptable. I been logging since ‘79 and I’m very fussy about maintenance. I’m above the dollar menu at McDonald’s and one mistake can cost me and put me back in the dollar menu. Lmao.

When the cutting season is done then change sparkplug, clean the whole saw fill the oil and gas tank with non ethanol fuel, flush the tanks. Do all of the above. Then put them to bed. There ready to cut at a mili seconds notice. Just Incase a hurricane hits. I been called out before.

On the older chainsaws there’s adjustment screws on the carbs. There’s a winter(rich) setting and a summer (leaner) setting. Now on my 575xp & 385xp there sealed I guess. In the cold they need more warmup time. I dont push them when there cold.

Take care of your saws and they will take care of you.

I agree, the fuel filters need cleaning rarely. But the problem is a slow creep. I want to get into a mode where everything becomes routine and that all the equipment is in top shape all the time.

I don't know how most of you keep it clean when filling up you saws, but I keep a paint brush in my saw tool bucket to sweep off all the dust, before I open the caps.

I don't know how most of you keep it clean when filling up you saws, but I keep a paint brush in my saw tool bucket to sweep off all the dust, before I open the caps.
Ditto. I have one in each saw box. If the light is hitting right it’s amazing how much “dirt” you can see removed with the brush. Same for the oil fill cap.

Yup, I keep an old toothbrush tied to a string through the handle of my gascan (along with my bar groove cleaner) so it's always handy and never lost...I also TIG welded a T27 screwdriver bit to my scrench for the same reason.

I do the same thing. To my eyes here is no visible blockages on the filter. It is very fine crap, and since this is a small engine, impulse fed gas system, any resistance is noticeable while in operation. At least that is what I believe.

I once bought a used Husky 460, which was a great running saw, once I replaced the fuel filter. I got a great price for it, and I do believe it was because the saw was getting quirky. I did questioned the seller after I ran it, and he said it sounded fine to him. BS, but in the end it was a great saw once a new filter was installed.

Posted in another thread, but belongs here also.

The homemade bar cleaning tool. A day later with the gorilla glue fully set this scrapper and channel cleaning tool is very solid.

BarScraper 003 (800x600).jpg

Latest posts

Back