Chaps Research # Layers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snorider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did a little looking around:

Stihl Woodcutter - 6 layers
Stihl Performance - 6 layers
Stihl ProMark Pants - 9 layers
Stihl Promark Chaps - 6 or 9 layers (not sure what that means)

Husky Tech Pro - 5 layers - 600 Denier Outer
Husky Tech Wrap - 5 layers - 1000 Denier Outer
Husky Functional - 5 layers - 600 Denier Outer

Forester chaps - 12 layers

Labonville Apron - 6 layers - 1000 Denier Outer
Labonville X-Tream Comp - 10 layer - 1000 Denier Outer

I believe layers relate to how big a saw you use. I also think its best to get layers that run in different directions.

Two things many overlook though, and both are super important IMO - length and wrap. If you look up a chart of wear most saw injuries occur, most are below the knees thus full wrap chaps that cover below the knees front to back are preferable. The other factor is length. You see many guys with big gaps between shoe tops and chaps bottom - this is prime danger zone going unprotected. Chaps come in several lengths, but the number does not correspond to inseam like pants, thus many of us, me included didn't get the right size and the best protection. My 3rd pair fit perfect, I run a 32" inseam with pants but wear a 40" chap, which i believe is the longest Stihl sells. Kind of goofy that a guy 5 10" like me is wearing the longest ones but whatever - my Stihl full wraps are bomber. Yes a bit hotter in summer than regulars which are hotter than just pants, like um anyway. Add steel toed boots and be careful bucking and life is good.

Yeah those foresters have way more layers and are way less expensive. Just wish I could find someone who has used them who could give me the scoop on them

There is a good video on YouTube where a guy cuts right through the forester chaps

Back