What is your daily PPE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today someone commented that I wear PPE. Duh...I am not a fan of stitches.

I use steel toe, tall looger boots by red wings
Stihl chaps, at least 6 ply maybe 9 gotta check. But they are heavy.
I have a cut resistant stihl shirt (the orange $95 one with the two pockets). But I generally don't use this item.
A husky forestry helmet (hardhat, ear muffs, face shield)
I try to use earplugs and muffs but generally forget.
Gloves...

My only complaint is my boots and chaps get hot. And I need a mini tool pouch for a few wedges, tools, scrench, etc.

Does anyone use both ear plugs and muffs at the same time?
My husky helmet is about done. Stihl ones have mixed reviews, can anyone recommend Stihl or husky or other for forestry helmets?
Not generally a fan of husky, but their new Tactical line of protective wear looks really cool. About $600 per set cool.
Should I add anything to my ppe package?
Do people wear special pants designed for saw work with chaps to reduce injury risk? Or is just chaps about as good as it gets?
Anyone carry a first aid kit in their work truck? Eye wash bottle?

Labonville chainsaw boots and chaps, Skull Bucket hard hat, ear plugs, safety glasses and "chainsaw" gloves.

I have used a hard hat with face shield, which I prefer. The problem with the face shield is I sweat profusely. I can rust one to pieces in a month or 2 and they are expensive to replace.

I need to invest in a first aid kit and eye wash.

This is a great addition. It's the Swat-T tourniquet . Basically a large piece of rubber sheet with directions and uses stamped on it. Can also be like a compress or ace bandage
83184d1144cbcc75ff69dd762158ea02.jpg

Carry them on the Fire Line [emoji106][emoji106]

Husky chaps or berne bibs, stocking hat, Carhartt Jacket, oil rig joker gloves, Rocky boots, peltor muffs, safety glasses when its real cold. Wrangler jeans, t-shirt, red wing steel toe boots, cowhide gloves, safety glasses, ear plugs, 12 pack of bud select when its hot ( after work is done). After about ten bud selects I start wearing some of it on my face and shirt.

I put the chainsaw scrench inbetween my belt and my pants and the screw part goes down toward my back pocket and wallet. And you literally forget it's there. I went in the house with it and sat down in a chair and didn't even know it was there. The ppe I wear is chaps, boots, and ear plugs.

Looked at my chaps today, they are only 6 ply. Anyone have any real close call where chaps were cut? How many ply were they?
Logic suggests next pair needs to be the (stihl) 9 ply.

Also, how is chap lenght measured. Belt to heel? Minus 6 inches? My chaps are kind of too short.

I'll take the occasion to ask for a bit of advice.
Any advice on tree climbing helmets? I am not going to climb a tree, but I think they are a nice alternative to ordinary hard hats, which I do not particularly like. Who am I kidding? I hate the things!

Thanks.

Steel toe boots and hard hat with face shield and ear muffs. I don't use my chaps anymore even though I have cut my overalls with the saw off. Even on a cool day that helmet is really hot.

steel toe boots (about to order a pair of custom nicks boots), husqvarna chaps, bugz goggles, aluminum hard hat, grizzly peak (axe scabbard fellers belt, suspenders) i don't wear a protective shirt but i normally wear a duluth long tail shirt and either my kimber pro carry 2 or my colt commander 1911

Haix Steel toe chainsaw protective liner boots, Husqvarna Technical Extreme pants, Petzl hard hat with mesh vizor and Husqvarna ear defenders.

Wolter

All depends what I'm doing. One day I might be running skidder, the next day doing fab work in the shop.
I don't run saw a whole lot, we have mechanized felling, limbing and processing. Mostly just for cutting tree length in half and cutting any missed limbs.

I do wear steel toe boots for just about everything. Pancaked my left big toe years ago (regular boots on) so I learned my lesson.

Back