What is your daily PPE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm using a saw the only special things I wear are ear plugs and safety glasses. Chances are I'm already wearing a hard hat, gloves and Z87 sun glasses.

As far as chaps go, I spend so much time hopping between a hoe and a saw they tend to get in the way while I'm climbing on equipment and when I'm the sawyer on a wildland crew I would be deeply scared of them catching fire if I go caught in a burnover.

Chaps are hot in the winter, and hotter in the summer, but they're good insurance. Try the Skull Bucket full brim hard hat, and use earplugs . The aluminum makes good signal alarms when bark and such begin to fall from the vibrating tree while felling. It's lightweight, and cool. Even looks cool :cool:.
pop skull bucket.jpg
IMG_0427.JPG

Paid 35.00 for my Husky chaps about 7 years ago from the dealer. I see they are selling for twice that now a days. I should start wearing them they are still like new. Just purchased a aluminum full brim made in USA hard hat with chin strap on the bay for less than 1/2 of a new China Made bucket.

Prison Blue or Wild Ass with suspenders. FSS chaps. Whites boots or Wesco caulks. Viking rubber boots or their caulks if it is raining (like tomorrow). Orange t-shirt or a hickory shirt. Skull Bucket (with a new suspension, hopefully). Ear plugs. Screen goggles. My pouch holds an Israeli dressing and a Swat-T along with a package of ibuprofen and Benadryl (for wasps) and a Bite Stik for various stings. If I wear gloves they are either cotton rigging gloves or faller's gloves. Whistle on the suspenders. Cell phone or radio. I work in bear and hog and rattlesnake country but would feel silly carrying a gun. I wear a Grisly Peak set-up and I always have a water bottle.

For fireline use then you can add all the other PPE and line gear. For those who find chaps too hot then think about the guys wearing two pair of pants with chaps on top of that. 110 degree temps are not unusual but at least the humidity is low.

I wear pre-exposure sun lotion or poison oak lotion. Don't wear too much because that can reduce the skins ability to regulate heat.

Prison Blue or Wild Ass with suspenders. FSS chaps. Whites boots or Wesco caulks. Viking rubber boots or their caulks if it is raining (like tomorrow). Orange t-shirt or a hickory shirt. Skull Bucket (with a new suspension, hopefully). Ear plugs. Screen goggles. My pouch holds an Israeli dressing and a Swat-T along with a package of ibuprofen and Benadryl (for wasps) and a Bite Stik for various stings. If I wear gloves they are either cotton rigging gloves or faller's gloves. Whistle on the suspenders. Cell phone or radio. I work in bear and hog and rattlesnake country but would feel silly carrying a gun. I wear a Grisly Peak set-up and I always have a water bottle.

For fireline use then you can add all the other PPE and line gear. For those who find chaps too hot then think about the guys wearing two pair of pants with chaps on top of that. 110 degree temps are not unusual but at least the humidity is low.

I wear pre-exposure sun lotion or poison oak lotion. Don't wear too much because that can reduce the skins ability to regulate heat.

What are fallers gloves? On google looks like regular cloth gloves.

I'll take the occasion to ask for a bit of advice.
Any advice on tree climbing helmets? I am not going to climb a tree, but I think they are a nice alternative to ordinary hard hats, which I do not particularly like. Who am I kidding? I hate the things!

Thanks.

Look at Kask. Good helmet and vented for the hot days.

What are fallers gloves? On google looks like regular cloth gloves.
Faller's gloves are light knit synthetic gloves. Very cheap, like a dollar each and they absorb some of the vibes. You can wash them or swap hands as they have no front or back. They are not nearly as cold when wet as cotton rigging gloves.

Ground work. Husky helmet with face shield and muffs, husky chaps (probably need a new pair), anti cut gloves. In tree. Petzl helmet with muffs, Bugz, rubberized gloves, chaps, silky strapped to my right calf, and a bunch of other incidental stuff that I hang on my harness.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

Pfanner type A trousers , Meindl Airstream boots , hoody top of various weights dependant on temp , reflective t shirt . Jacket only if heavy rain and usually a Kask helmet .
PPE is pretty widely worn here in the UK , mandatory in nearly every Company I've worked for .

Not every day in the woods involves a chain saw, i would rather carry a lifetime and never need it than not have it and need it once. My wife was cleaning out a flower bed the other day and a bear walked up behind her within 50 feet before she saw it, there was no sign of aggression i think he was just passing by. but it scared the sh-t out of her anyway. When cutting wood i always wear steel toed boots hard hat with ear muffs and screened face shield.

I have never used chaps or steel toed boots but do use the Husky helmet with muffs and face shield. But I am only a homeowner so my time in the woods cutting is limited to 5 - 8 cords a year for about 35 years on and off. I have been lucky so far (and it is luck not skill) - once I put a 3" gash in a pair of jeans but didn't break the skin. I was stupid and was cutting when I was tired - broke one of my cardinal rules.

Can't find a pair of steel toe boots wide enough for my foot so I don't wear them. Ear plugs, sunglasses/safety glasses and gloves if working on the ground. In the tree, no gloves.

And a Glock for a fisher? This little thing? fisher.jpg

A guy that comes in where i work had his little dog taken by one of those little things when on his morning walk, ended up saving the dog but he got torn up good and had to get rabie shots

Back