Charging sales tax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldugly said:
You take a brave stand to defend the morals which you hold dear, but understand that there are many who have taken very brave stands to give you the right to speak freely of those morals, and values. Those people who have given their all, (howbeit whether you value their sacrifice or not) were not doing so to benefit any corporation to their knowledge, but because they thought it was the right thing to do.
Thomas Payne, one of the greatest patriarchs, and overall designer of the present form of government we hold dear today, spoke very weighty of the neccesity of people supporting financially the government, the military, and the benefits they receive from such institutions.
As far as dismissing what I say as another "unelightened" commentor, you are right. I am uneducated, unrefined, and a little old fashioned. But I pay my dues, and reap the benefits of a nation that I love and respect very much. In my humble opinion, (uneducated and unrefined as it may be) if you don't want to drive on the roads..don't pay fuel tax,..if you don't want police protection, then don't pay propert tax..sales tax...or whatever they draw from, if you feel you can stand alone as a separate entity against all nations, void of political obligations, void of political ties, void of country...then by all means continue your speal...support only yourself..(and your values)..but do not ask for the benefits of a society which you will not support. For by doing so you make yourself a hypocrite...and a thief.

Very well said!!

even for an uneducated and unrefined tree man. :cheers:

In Hawaii, it is very simple due to the intelligence of our politicians. You simply add a 4% general excise tax to everything. Food, rent, medical care, all types of services, you name it. In fact, you pay 4% tax on the tax. Yes, that is right. If you sell something for $100 here, you collect $100 plus $4 for the GE tax. When you as the business owner remit the tax to the state, you don't send them only $4. You need to send them $4.16, because after all, you did collect $104 from your customer.:dizzy:

Last edited:
Thanks, top

Hey top,
Thanks for the information, now I can see what I need to do, and what I need to get ready to collect. Good luck with your company.

Red

In Wisconsin Tree Services must collect sales tax. Removal, trimming, stump grinding are all taxable services. Exceptions are vacant lots and sub-contracting. Vacant lots with no home is not a home improvement so they are exempt. Sub-Contractors are exempt: If I for example are contracted by a tree firm or general contractor without a stump grinder to grind stumps, he collects the entire tax from the cutomer.

agree

Newfie said:
In Mass, services are not subject to sales tax so I don't charge it. If I had to I would show it as a separate line item to the total bid. If the job costs you $800 to make a profit, then charge that and then charge the sales tax on top of that. Why reduce YOUR profit by paying the customers sales tax?
well said newfie, i like to show it, as a line item when da homeowners complain about prices i inform them that we are not cheap like plumbers more like orthodontists, anyone have people refuse the tax, igot a lady ive been stalling who says she dont pay tax for service not that shes on the wonder plan as stated earlier, she just dont think she should, btw big estate future work possibilties suggestions? tanks

Last edited:
skwerl said:
About 20 years ago Florida tried implementing a sales tax on services. It lasted about a year and was repealed. There is no sales tax on services in this state now, only merchandise.

So no, I've never charged sales tax since it would be illegal for me to do so.

Skwerl, I remember when that happened, we had a landscaping company in Orlando at the time. PITA and a stupid tax! Glad they repealed it.

Dredging up a post

I tried serching first and this was the closest thread I could find. Anybody charging sales tax in NY (outside of the City)? Every reg I have read is not clear, my tax guy says"Gee, I don't know" and fines are threatened for even looking like you screwed up. :bang:

CITREEMAN said:
Just wondering if any of you charge your state sales tax on top of the job price or do you you include that in the price - Example John Doe has you bid tree removal and your bid is say $800.00 - Is this your price including tax or due you charge the tax to the $800.00 ?

We do for tree work outside of land clearing. Tree work falls under landscaping in Texas tax code and is a taxable service, whereas land clearing is a real property service or so I am led to believe..

Latest posts

Back