Charging sales tax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CITREEMAN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you charge your state sales tax on top of the job price or do you you include that in the price - Example John Doe has you bid tree removal and your bid is say $800.00 - Is this your price including tax or due you charge the tax to the $800.00 ?

About 20 years ago Florida tried implementing a sales tax on services. It lasted about a year and was repealed. There is no sales tax on services in this state now, only merchandise.

So no, I've never charged sales tax since it would be illegal for me to do so.

In Mass, services are not subject to sales tax so I don't charge it. If I had to I would show it as a separate line item to the total bid. If the job costs you $800 to make a profit, then charge that and then charge the sales tax on top of that. Why reduce YOUR profit by paying the customers sales tax?

Ya thanks guys i it does very from state to state on weather or not sales tax applies to services Here in Iowa you are supposed to charge sales tax on residentual services not commercial. Had a customer squack a bit when i charged the tax after the job. And yes it DOES cut into your profit if you dont do it that way. Just wanted to get your guys opinion. Thanks again.

Yes, I would add it on as a line item on top of the total bid. But I'd also make sure the customer was aware of it before starting the work. Nothing like starting a job under false asumptions and then dealing with an irate customer afterwards.

20 years ago I added the sales tax on top of my monthly lawn service charges. When it was repealed I stopped charging it. I used to make out my monthly check to 'Infernal Revenooers Society' (can you tell I've always had a thing for big government sticking it's nose into my business?).

skwerl said:
Yes, I would add it on as a line item on top of the total bid. But I'd also make sure the customer was aware of it before starting the work.

This homeowner votes a big YES for this method. Surprises are not nice when they come in a bill. Tell me up front and I'll be upset with the politicians, not you.

In Minnesota, most work performed by a tree service is taxable by 6.5% and by 7.0% within the Twin Cities.

On my proposals there is a sub total line, sales tax line, and grand total line.

Its sort of a pain to deal with cuz you could write 10 line items and the customer will approve 3 of them, hence affecting the tax amount.

When we schedule work we usually discuss payment options and we remind them of the sales taxes so they are not suprised.

On a small 100. dollar job an additional $6.50 is usually not a problem,
but when you finish a 3500.00 dollar job and your invoice reflects 227.50 additional in taxes, most clients like to be aware of this ahead of time. So we do our best to inform them.

What really sucks, is trying to dtermine whats taxable and what is not......

tree pruning= fully taxable
tree removal=fully taxable
stump removal= fully taxable
tree planting=only taxed on whoesale costs
landscape mgmt= not taxable

so if you manage a landscape, prune a few trees, remove a tree, maybe deadhead a few perennials (no tax), and plant a tree. you need to determine if each item is taxable.

another loophole..... if the client is making home improvements to their property, tree work is not taxable :dizzy:

So in one case you prune a tree and its fully taxable,
in another you prune the same tree and because the tree is being elevated over the house to allow for an addition to be put on the house, it is not taxable. :dizzy:

Tell me that dont give you a headache

tophopper said:
In Minnesota, most work performed by a tree service is taxable by 6.5% and by 7.0% within the Twin Cities.

so if you manage a landscape, prune a few trees, remove a tree, maybe deadhead a few perennials (no tax), and plant a tree. you need to determine if each item is taxable.

another loophole..... if the client is making home improvements to their property, tree work is not taxable :dizzy:

in another you prune the same tree and because the tree is being elevated over the house to allow for an addition to be put on the house, it is not taxable. :dizzy:

Wow, I thought we had it bad in New Mexico. If you fart here it's taxable,
but at least we know where we stand.
I always charge sales tax on top of the quote, but make it clear to the customer that they will be paying sales tax on top of the quote.
I think I'm going to try charging the state a collection fee, for collecting money and keeping records for them.

Andy

Volunteer to be my slave!

I learned about 30 years ago that participating in the the following tax schemes is voluntary and I have not volunteered since.
State income tax
State sales tax (learned about ten years ago)
IRS taxes, Social Security (AKA Feredal Old Age Pension Act)
Nursery registration program.
Pesticide applicator licensing program.
Medicare payments
State Unemployment Program. All government subsidized, subscribed and promoted programs. Government serves the people and it (the administrators of "Government") has turned the tables on the people. We've been duped.
An unbelievable scheme was set inmotion many years ago which lead free Americans to volunteer into serviture of the so-called government. It could not be done forcefully since that would be in violation of the 13th amendment prohibition of involuntary servitude. Voluntary, however, servitude is unregulated, live and well. Voluntary servitude, in its most mild form is found in one man lending the other a helping hand without compensation (and compensation is anything of value, not just money).
Voluntary servitude in an uglier form is a man being duped into thinking he is volunteering to the service of his copuntry when, actually, he is sent to put his life on the line for the benefit of the United Nations and private monetary interests of so-called "World leaders". The voluntary participation on the various tax schemes and social reformation agendas is the greatest enemy of a free society which ultimately leads to its giving away all that it holds dear, that being property. liberty and life.
I, for one, refuse to voluntarily part with a large portion of my productive life in support of the miscreants and their squanderings and meddlings concealed in the name of good governance.
Those interested in learning, and there is much to learn. can request educational links and I will provide them.
Keep in mind that undertaking to preserve and exercise your rights can be as time consuming and sometimes expensive as volunteering to be their slave.
It is your choice whether you will labor toward slavery or freedom.
1Duh

Well, since you seem to be so put out by participating in society, take your juvenile attitude and crawl back inside you self serving cave of denial.

For Newfie, Thanks for the mud slinging. I'll continue to watch the thread in the event you have something intelligent and substantive to add. I feel certain that you can do better than an unsubstantiated, barstool bark.
I follow the law, care to learn any of it?

For cphily21, If you are looking volunteer to become a non-compensated revenue collector for Pennsylvania's sales tax coffers, a phone call to the the commonwealth's department of treasury will usually net you more help than you can imagine. I suspect their phone number is published in the local phone book.

1duh

cphily21 said:
any one know about pa

In PA, Pesticide applications are taxable, Fertilization is not, nor are pruning and removal services, to the best of my knowledge.

Bearded1duh said:
For Newfie, Thanks for the mud slinging. I'll continue to watch the thread in the event you have something intelligent and substantive to add. I feel certain that you can do better than an unsubstantiated, barstool bark.
I follow the law, care to learn any of it?
1duh

I think my previous posts to the thread were direct and to the point.

You decided to bring along the paranoid baggage of servitude and new world order conspiracy theorist BS.

tophopper said:

On my proposals there is a sub total line, sales tax line, and grand total line.

Its sort of a pain to deal with cuz you could write 10 line items and the customer will approve 3 of them, hence affecting the tax amount.

When we schedule work we usually discuss payment options and we remind them of the sales taxes so they are not suprised.

On a small 100. dollar job an additional $6.50 is usually not a problem,
but when you finish a 3500.00 dollar job and your invoice reflects 227.50 additional in taxes, most clients like to be aware of this ahead of time. So we do our best to inform them.

Hey Tophopper,
Where did you get your information? I am from Minnesota, (Lovingly known as the state of beautiful confusion) and need to get my ducks in a row on the tax issues.

I am subbing for a large contract at this time, and need to know if sales tax appies to cooperatives, line maintenance work, etc. I've asked a dozen people and gotten a dozen different answers, (which is even more confusing when its a simple yes or no question).

Beuracracies...I love em. (I just can't spell em)

Bearded1duh

You take a brave stand to defend the morals which you hold dear, but understand that there are many who have taken very brave stands to give you the right to speak freely of those morals, and values. Those people who have given their all, (howbeit whether you value their sacrifice or not) were not doing so to benefit any corporation to their knowledge, but because they thought it was the right thing to do.
Thomas Payne, one of the greatest patriarchs, and overall designer of the present form of government we hold dear today, spoke very weighty of the neccesity of people supporting financially the government, the military, and the benefits they receive from such institutions.
As far as dismissing what I say as another "unelightened" commentor, you are right. I am uneducated, unrefined, and a little old fashioned. But I pay my dues, and reap the benefits of a nation that I love and respect very much. In my humble opinion, (uneducated and unrefined as it may be) if you don't want to drive on the roads..don't pay fuel tax,..if you don't want police protection, then don't pay propert tax..sales tax...or whatever they draw from, if you feel you can stand alone as a separate entity against all nations, void of political obligations, void of political ties, void of country...then by all means continue your speal...support only yourself..(and your values)..but do not ask for the benefits of a society which you will not support. For by doing so you make yourself a hypocrite...and a thief.

oldugly said:
Hey Tophopper,
Where did you get your information? I am from Minnesota, (Lovingly known as the state of beautiful confusion) and need to get my ducks in a row on the tax issues.

I am subbing for a large contract at this time, and need to know if sales tax appies to cooperatives, line maintenance work, etc. I've asked a dozen people and gotten a dozen different answers, (which is even more confusing when its a simple yes or no question).

Beuracracies...I love em. (I just can't spell em)

As far as I know, even subbing, you should be collecting and paying sales tax...

check out the following pdf from the MN Dept of Rev.

http://taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/sales/publications/fact_sheets_by_name/content/BAT_1100109.pdf

you can see by looking at the form, that there are no simple yes and no answers------only confusion by many.:dizzy:

I wish they'd just do away with it personally, I really hate having to collect their money and report it to them every month.

Latest posts

Back