Cheap/free firewood cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Among the long list of permissable firewood covers, the seasonal landfill material used to protect watercraft during winter is often available free or nearly so each spring. Save yourself some bucks, delay the landfill entry, and head over to a marina or boat storage facility in spring to get some blue or white shrinkable plastic to cover your wood pile.

My firewood is on pallets, three boats-worth of plastic covered 13 cords of split firewood, and it took a measly hour to cover my wood against the wet/snowy seasons.

The waste cutoffs, once done with slicing it all up, equated a 4x8 sheet, but getting 39 pieces of usable plastic that is designed to be solar/precipitation proof was well worth the recycling value and far surpassed the price of 4x5 tarps.

One other idea is pool liners, contact a local pool contractor, or put out a free ad on craigslist for folks getting rid of their pool.

Fully aware of the debate surrounding cover or not, it has been proven to me that the wood needs to be covered from last dry autumn day until last spring rain in our climatic region to maintain the driest possible firewood. We'll each do what works best in our individual situation, so this is just an idea offered.

attachment.php

I get a tarp-like material from lumber yards. It covers the lifts of lumber and at least around here they just throw it away anyway.

When I need more I just stop by the lumber yard and let them know. They tell me how many days it will take them to gather it and I show up on that day with some coffee for them. :D

To tell you the truth though, none of my wood is covered right now as we did not get a whole lot of rain and I don't mind clearing the snow off in the winter.

:cheers:

I dont cover mine in the summer and wait until the snows coming to cover it. I hate brushing snow off the pile. As for tarps I got some heavy duty plastic from a guy I know and have been using that. :)

Latest posts

Back