Coal, Turf, Burnt Oil etc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any of you burn much coal, turf burnt oil etc? I burn quite a bit of coal, and some turf too but not as much.
I have loads of old diesel and oil that I use to start and keep bonfires going.

I built a stove for my shop and put a oil drip in that drips oil on the fire. Seems to make the wood last a bit longer and I get about 70 degrees hotter temp on the stove. Been playing with fan blowing on oil burner to.https://photos.app.goo.gl/qnn7irZftSu6wvCWA

I occasionally burn anthracite coal in the shop stove. It is a big old honkin’ pot belly that can easily take a 50lb bag at a clip. Turf?? I have not seen a turf fire since the last time I was in Ireland and that was back when they had their own money and you could smoke in the pubs.

The auto shop in town has a waste oil burner. According to the owner it’s a temperamental beast but it heats the shop for free. Takes a few hours to get going for the first time each fall and they have to be careful that the donated oil doesn’t have water or antifreeze in it.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's in a truck stop filling station and we only used waste oil to heat the station C store and the shop's. We also had our own fuel transports and sold fuel to a lot of state and county customers. Between our shop and county and state shops we had a endless supply of used oil. By the time my mom sold the business and retired in the 90's all her big customers had waste oil heaters and were burning there own. She was still heating with used oil but used some propane too. Keeping waste oil heaters running can be tricky. I heated my own shop for about 10 years with waste oil but it seemed to be getting harder to keep a good supply of good clean waste oil. When I put my Garn in 11 years ago I switch my shop over to it and heat my shop and house and domestic water with wood now.

Latest posts

Back