Converted an MS250C to an MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I inherited a Stock MS250C from my grandpa. He had purchased the saw for it's easy start and chain tightening system. Well he quickly found out the reliability and durability of these features weren't the greatest. After replacing the starter assembly a few times he gave up on it and tossed it in a box. I had used the saw and was not a fan of having to tighten it every 20 minutes, I'm assuming at this point that something wasn't working right on the tightening system, as it became loose far too quickly.

So...I found the box and thought it would be nice to swap this out to a regular 250, straight pull and normal chain tightening system. I looked it up on the googles and didn't find anything other than a guy who put a 250C starter on a 250. So I decided to try to email Stihl about it, they got back to me the next day and they told me it was impossible, just flat out can't be done. Well I did it, and I am posting this just in case any one else was wondering. The only difficult part was replacing the flywheel, and that really isn't that hard. The 250C has a smaller opening for the starter assembly than a 250.

Parts were all purchased on ebay, except a new bar and chain, here's the list:
Starter assembly(250) $15
Flywheel(250) $15
Bar nuts and bolts $5
Chain adjuster $10
Bar cover $10

So for $55 bucks I converted the saw to more reliable parts, I'm happy that it worked out and no idea why the stihl tech was so adament that it couldn't be done. It was rather easy once all the parts were collected.

I could probably update this with part numbers out of the service manual if anybody else is interested in this.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
Thanks for the info. It looks like it'll be a winner now for sure. What do you plan on doing with the primer to complete the conversion?

does the 250 have a different carb than the 250c? I hadn't looked into that like I looked into the parts that were constantly breaking and not working.

I've done the same thing to the PoulanPro & Craftsman chainsaws that I started out with & haven't looked back. The 'easy tightening' systems are junk in my opinion, they just don't stay tight. Congratulations on making the MS250 a more reliable chainsaw!

i bought 1 of the first 250c's that came out.has the useless chain tightner but had the standard recoil start on it. i took in into the dealer for something and the mechanic asked me how i changed the starter rope.told him thats how it came and he said naw.i haven't seen another like it.anybody else have 1? will have check out changin the chain tensioner.

The tensioner was pretty easy. You need one more bar stud, the nuts, and the bar/chain adjuster. The slot for the bar adjuster is already there, you just have to remove a small aluminum I beam looking piece that is used as a filler. Once that's out drop in the adjuster and screw in the self tapping screw that hold it in place. Then you just have to remove the sprocket wheel from the bar, which is done by removing one screw.

Funny thing about the starter is that there are two different flywheels for the easy start and the standard. If you bought it new I would guess the shop that sold it changed it out and put the easy start onto another customers ms250. I did find a couple of instances of people putting the easy start into the standard saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i bought 1 of the first 250c's that came out.has the useless chain tightner but had the standard recoil start on it. i took in into the dealer for something and the mechanic asked me how i changed the starter rope.told him thats how it came and he said naw.i haven't seen another like it.anybody else have 1? will have check out changin the chain tensioner.
I worked on one yesterday. Standard starter, quick chain adjust. Sold in 2004.

The tensioner was pretty easy. You need one more bar stud, the nuts, and the bar/chain adjuster. The slot for the bar adjuster is already there, you just have to remove a small aluminum I beam looking piece that is used as a filler. Once that's out drop in the adjuster and screw in the self tapping screw that hold it in place. Then you just have to remove the sprocket wheel from the bar, which is done by removing one screw.

Funny thing about the starter is that there are two different flywheels for the easy start and the standard. If you bought it new I would guess the shop that sold it changed it out and put the easy start onto another customers ms250. I did find a couple of instances of people putting the easy start into the standard saw.

have to check my dad's worn out stihl pile .might be able to find most of the parts there.:dizzy:

have to check my dad's worn out stihl pile .might be able to find most of the parts there.:dizzy:

That'd be nice having a pile of stihl saws laying around. I would say its a safe bet that other sized saws may have the same adjuster.

I just picked up a 250c from a scrapyard today. Looks like all it needs to be a runner is a fuel line. The easy start doesn't work properly and I don't especially care for the tool less chain tensioner system. If I can do away with the primer bulb, I will. Did anyone ever find an answer to there being a difference in the carbs?

I never heard nor looked into it further. I figured the guy Who commented would answer back, but he didn't. I haven't seen a 250 with a primer bulb yet...

I never heard nor looked into it further. I figured the guy Who commented would answer back, but he didn't. I haven't seen a 250 with a primer bulb yet...

my hyrbid has the primer bulb.couldn't find any thing on the carbs if they are the same.

I just picked up a 250c from a scrapyard today. Looks like all it needs to be a runner is a fuel line. The easy start doesn't work properly and I don't especially care for the tool less chain tensioner system. If I can do away with the primer bulb, I will. Did anyone ever find an answer to there being a difference in the carbs?

Different carbs have been used, look in the IPL. I don't know the reason for the different carbs.

Primer bulbs are nice - I would leave it alone if it is not broken.

Last edited:
Different carbs have been used, look in the IPL. I don't know the reason for the different carbs.

Primer bulbs are nice - I would leave it alone if it is not broken.

I dislike primer/purge bulbs. In some cases it's nice to have them, but generally they are just something else to fail and give problems.

For anyone that is still wondering on the carbs. I haven't yet finished looking at the IPL that sawtroll sent me, but there are/were 10 different carbs in the IPL. So far it appears that they all have a single inlet and the purge bulb adds a mile of extra fuel lines. I can't tell how it all goes together from looking at the IPL, so I guess I'll find out when I put new fuel and impulse lines in it.

I also have one of these and I wanted some more details on how to convert it to a 250. I have had nothing but problems with the adjustments. I wish I had bought the 250.

That was a common version in the early to mid 2000s.

Those chain tensioners are really annoying! ;)

I can post the part numbers you need to change it over. It's really not too hard and the best place to get parts is ebay.

Latest posts

Back