Cordwood Saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndOfTownFarm

Reaction score
I have been looking for a 24" or 30" circular cordwood saw - the old cut-off saws that every farm used to have to cut firewood to length. I would be interested in either PTO driven 3-point mount or standalone. I used an old one years ago, but seldom see them anymore. I have done several searches but turned up nothing. Does anyone still make these? Yes, I know - more dangerous than a wood splitter, but I can't afford a Chomper and am tired of swinging the chain saw when cutting down the logs.

I see them on craigslist all the time. Check there. Check NH and MA too if you are willing to drive a bit. There was a real nice one in the NH seacoast area about a month ago.

Yes you can buy new ones. I have been looking for a used one myself but needs to be cheap and close. Have been finding quite a few up near you on Ebay searches that sold very reasonable, for some reason the ones out this way bring more than I want to spend.

The new ones are here, punch the link but hang on to your britches when you get the price. They call it the Eagle processor

http://astra.techwarepc.com/~woodbeaver/products.html

Last edited:
You have to be careful that they are not warped in the hub or totally out of tension unless you know where you can get them straightened and hammered.

You have to be careful that they are not warped in the hub or totally out of tension unless you know where you can get them straightened and hammered.

Correct.
I would buy a new blade instead of trying to use a rusty, dull pos one. My last new one (10 years ago) was about $125.00 for a 30"
If properly sharpened, they will last for many years.

Ed

I had one years ago, a New Holland that was a stand-alone wide belt drive. It worked fine, best on small wood, 8" dia. and under. Saved a lot of bending over. To really get the production out of one, you need three people. One to get the next log & hand it to the guy pushing the table & the third to throw the cutoff piece. The blades need to be sharp & set, you can sharpen one with a file. I never heard of one of these being 'hammered' like a circlesaw blade, as the set in the teeth gives the blade all the clearance it needs. With three people, you can cut a lot of wood in short order.

Thanks for all the help folks!

I did locate a used one in NH on Craig's list, but will keep looking for a bit. It seems strange that I cannot find any new manufacture listed on farm supply and tractor sites. And yes - also called a buzz saw or firewood cut-off saw, etc.

It maybe 'product liability' or just lack of demand that has killed the market for these [new ones] I've read of some really bad accidents involving them. Many of the old ones had no guard, etc on the blade, add human error to that, and you get the idea? Worst I ever had happened was a chunk of sawdust in the eye [had glasses, went to goggles after that]

I had one that was mounted on the back of an International Tractor.Belt driven.People would come from all over to watch me use the thing.I think they were making bets how long my fingers would last! I always felt that, if you kept your footing clear, they were as safe or safer than a chainsaw.I tried to keep the saw rig when I sold the tractor, but the buyer wanted it.I passed on a trailer mounted saw rig/splitter combo...even had a lift.Can't remember if was broke or just dumb.

Ive seen them around and I think they look super dangerous. As stated in todays F'ed up times no manufacturer probably wants the liability with that. Cityfolk will be chopping off appendages and sueing for no guards. I hate people.:chainsaw:

Back