cut a lil hedge yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm not in the firewood, or tree cutting, business. i used to burn 25+ cords per year, until this year. (house remodel)

i've never heard of an osage bow stave. i'll check it out. i'm not much of a salesman though. buy high sell low. thats how i've always done business. lol.

Osage is very popular among people who make bows (bowyers.)

Your hedge stockpile is incredible. What I wouldn't give for a trailer load of that. You guys that have the abundance of hardwoods are very fortunate.

Most excellent. :rock:

I know of a line of hedges 30 to 36" in diameter. I cut one that size and said never again.

The trunks were amazingly straight so I thought maybe I would split some post out of them. Took a saw and cut a 8" deep slot and started driving 10 wedges or so. Went down the line with a sledge and had them all pretty much buried without even a crack. Hit one and the one next to it was spit out right past my head landing over 10' away. Of course I was splitting by hand then. Took some doing to get my wedges all back. Still had some crotch pieces 5 or 6 years after the fact that I just rolled into the burn pile.

Maybe now with a good splitter I should go back!

Osage is very popular among people who make bows (bowyers.)

Your hedge stockpile is incredible. What I wouldn't give for a trailer load of that. You guys that have the abundance of hardwoods are very fortunate.

Most excellent. :rock:
i feel very blessed to stumble on so much hedge. here is a pic of load #9. i dumped it next to load 5.
DSCN0472_zps0fd3258c.jpg

load #10. next to load 9 and 5.
DSCN0475_zps1e1d7982.jpg

load #11 is a load of hackberry. it was quick and easy to cut while i was cutting.

DSCN0477_zps1aaf62b8.jpg

this pic is kinda cool. one piece of hackberry came flyin at me while the load was dumping. it landed about 3 feet from me. i snapped this pic mid flight. lol.

DSCN0478_zpsb5447ee0.jpg

and finally load#12. this was all the short pieces that don't need to be stacked or cut. they are ready to burn so i dumped em next to the owb.

DSCN0479_zps481f648e.jpg

ya i burn green hedge. on a nice bed of coals its not a problem. i tried the carbide chain once. stayed sharp a nice long time. but half the teeth ended up breaking off.

WOW! I cant comperhend burnig 25 cords of wood in one winter...
But, We do live in Alabama. Not that cold down here.

David

I have the trucks, saws and access to trees like that. What I lack right now is the Skid-steer and trailers (1 for skid-steer) and the other for the wood... When I have those, I will be in like Flynn...

Back