'D' Pull rope handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What can I use for a 'D' shape pull rope handle? Prefer a softer rubber grip. The blister pack jobs at the hardware store suck.

Just put another high compression saw together that has a small recoil pulley and find I can't hardly pull it over. Hurts my size 6 hand. This is the second one like this. XL-101 w/155 psi and a Craftsman/Roper with 130 psi. They both have pulleys about an inch smaller than your average XL-12.

I've got a D handle on my 880 and am glad I have it. Especially now that it's ported and no decomp.

Here is one of the Stihl ones.

full wrap 004 by supercabs78, on Flickr

I have around 10 of these a little smaller than the stihl but a little cheaper. They also come in different colors. Any small engine place should be able to order them, just ask to see there supplier parts book.

saws 002 by supercabs78, on Flickr

Searching for "mitten grip starter handle" finds more than D starter handle or oversize starter handle.
Here is one from Edge and Engine I think they are still a site Sponsor. Edit: yep it shows Sponsor under there name.

I searched Baileys and didn't find any

Last edited:
I'm going to puss out and put one on a Husky 1100CD. My fingers have been worked over by McCullochs and that puny little pull handle don't cut it.

Thanks WSC, I think I will try Edge and Engine.

396.jpg

Here's the style of handle I use on all my race. saws

I had a elastostart ripped through my fingers yesterday. I think the bluetop 288 will be getting a D handle oneday.

I think that is a function of old age or fatigue. :poke:

Even with my arthritic hands I can hold on to an elastostart, but for the 288 you have to have some conviction.

I think that is a function of old age or fatigue. :poke:

Even with my arthritic hands I can hold on to an elastostart, but for the 288 you have to have some conviction.
Hope it wasnt either old age(21) or fatigue. :) I think I was just being a wimp, cause I know itll bite if you dont just go for it.

If you can't hold on to a "tee" handle, perhaps there's a reason.

A "D" handle rippin' through your fingers aint going to feel much better!

If you can't hold on to a "tee" handle, perhaps there's a reason.

A "D" handle rippin' through your fingers aint going to feel much better!

Very true! I had a Polaris 650 snowmobile that was not stock. Occasionally it would pull the rope out of your hand and you wouldn't be able to grip the handle bar for a few minutes. I sold it shortly after I broke the bite out of a rope pull handle and imbedded it into my chest. I had enough.

Back