So I was looking for an 044 project saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stderr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
...posted an ad on Craigslist, and here, offering to trade a working 026 for a broken 044. That didn't bear fruit, however I got a call from a guy with a dead 066 collecting dust in his garage, wanted it gone, didn't need no stinkin' 026. A quick peek, an absurd low-ball offer, and an 066 project saw it is. I got it home and dusted off the cover wondering if the word Magnum might be hiding somewhere, and...it is! This thing is huge, way too big for a schmuck home-owner like me. Then again, maybe I do need an 066 magnum. :D Besides, the 038 Super has been bullying the smaller saws for way too long, needs a little slapping around.

attachment.php

It's pretty old and well used, but the basic set-up is: no decomp valve, Aluminium flywheel with single key, dual-port muffler, 3/4-wrap bar, dual dawgs, oversized pnw side cover, 32"/063/404 bar. It's missing much of the paint from the flywheel cover, and all of the paint is off the bar.

Most of the following is a chronicle of getting the saw working, questions have a :msp_confused: after them to make it easier to find. If it's too long, skip to the bottom, questions are summarized. OTOH, I love feedback and advice.

The first thing I noticed was that the recoil spring was not tight enough, wouldn't let the rope retract fully, and said rope was only 12" long. New rope, rewound the spring, all is well.

The next thing was, the safety interlock on the handle stays down, and the throttle lock is not working. This makes starting tough, as although it can be choked, the throttle can't easily be held open while pulling. Dismantled the handle, the interlock spring had popped out of place, more importantly one of the tabs on the starter switch shaft had broken off. I replaced this, got a dirty look when I asked if they had it in red, and now the switch behaves like the all Stihls I've come to know and love.

The PO told me it needed a new coil, had no spark, he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and didn't care. He had the wrong plug, and the little coil spring inside the plug boot had pulled out of the coil wire. I bought the right plug, fixed the little spring...the coil is not dead. I'd put a big smiley here, but the administrator is a bit of an emoticop.

He had the good grace to drain all the fluids before storage, this is good. It looks like the impulse, intake boot, fuel line and tank vent are all in really nice shape. More good news.

Pulled the muffler, piston looks good, no melting no burn marks, no transfer. I looked through the plug hole, and I can see a chip on the top edge of the exhaust port. It looks about 0.150" in diameter. This is probably not the best, but there are no rough edges, and my bet is it probably isn't going to hurt performance. I'd love opinions on this. :msp_confused:

I put in a little fuel and pulled it over a few times, checked compression...150psi! Sweet!!! I tried to fire it up, and it initially started, but was blowing a tonne of blue smoke, odd for a relatively fresh 50:1 mix...BANG, dead. Nasty back-fire. Thanks to AS, I remember reading about this being usually a sign that the flywheel key has sheared. One new Woodruff key later, it fires right up, has excellent throttle response, even 4-strokes at WOT. Having a good day so far, but thinking bad mojo, there's always a carb problem, why isn't there this time?

Next, I noticed the chain is not sitting still at idle. Pulled the clutch cover off expecting a badly worn clutch, but it's OK (ish). This thing's been run pretty hard though, the brake cover is melted and black around the clutch drum, and it looks like it's thrown a chain at least once. There's a hole in the brake cover, no chain catcher, no rubber guard strip in the clutch cover, and the tabs for holding the rubber guard on are all broken off. Behind the clutch cover it's pretty severely worn, most of the paint is off the crankcase, looks like corrosion, the magnesium is kind of pitted looking. I don't think it's ever been cleaned, and due to the hole in the cover, it's packed with sawdust/oil/grime.

Removing the clutch drum was surprisingly difficult, turned out the plastic cage for the drum bearing had melted, and all of the bearings had rotated off-axis a little, making the drum a little sticky on the crankshaft. Once I got that off, getting the clutch off was a bugger. I don't have an impact gun, so I pulled the plug, shoved in the original starter rope making sure I got it up against the cylinder wall in a loop and had the piston above the exhaust port, then used a 15" crescent wrench to "ease" it off (mmm yes reverse threaded). The clutch springs are very loose, though the holes on each shoe aren't that badly worn. I've got new clutch springs and a new drum bearing on order now. I think there are two versions of clutch, one uses springs with 6-coils, the other one only 5. This one is the 5-coil variety.

When I went to refit the brake band I noticed it had a nasty thin/weak spot, so I'll get another one of those along with a new brake cover.

The next thing I noticed is it's leaking oil out of the oil-line hole like Roberto Luongo lets pucks by at a Stanley cup final :bang:. One exhaustive clean-up on the oil pump later, and a new oil line and upper sealing ring it is. I'm not sure how well this will work, as there's no longer any paint on the ID of the oil line hole. I expect an older saw to leak a little bar oil, but this is excessive. Does anybody use rtv or something similar to seal up the oil hole on these old saws? :msp_confused:

attachment.php

And that brings me to today...waiting for parts. They won't be in until the new year, as my supplier is closed up for Christmas. In fairness, she asked if it was OK with me to wait. Now that I'm twiddling my thumbs...

1. The chip along the top of the exhaust port is very hard to photograph, but it's like a half-moon of about 0.150" diameter, and it's roughly in the centre of the top edge of the port. My guess is this might get pretty hot as it's the first point where exhaust begins to flow out of the port. Should I go to the trouble of pulling the jug and raising the whole exhaust port, or just let the sleeping dog lie?

2. Any advice on sealing around the oil line?

3. The bar may be passable, is straight, has lived well. I noticed the bar nose is a little loose, the sides have spread at the tip, and that the bar has split across the other end, at the back of the slot for the bar studs. I just fee-bayed a used 32"/063/404 bar without a nose, figured I'd just buy a new schnoz from the local yokels. See picture. Is the old bar salvageable, or am I just wasting my time cleaning it up? The 066 SM I have says if the depth from the rail to the bottom of the slot is below 0.27", toss it, and I'm getting 0.305" at the shallowest. This is only 0.035" from end of life, how deep is the slot when new?

attachment.php

stumping003.jpg

Nice find, the 066 is a beast and yes you will find work for it as a homeowner. I would chuck the bar and strap on a brand new Stihl bar, mine wears a 32" bar which makes it a bit heavy when traveling by foot far from the truck but not to bad in the yard. I will let the Tech's comment on your mechanical, but would probably save up for a new top end. You are getting close to the coveted 6 cube and can probably apply for a waiver as the 066 is a brute.

As posted above, that bar should be replaced. The sprocket teeth are worn out. As far as crank seals, it isnt a bad idea, but without knowing how it acts, I dont just throw parts at it.

Looked at the crank-seals when I had the oil-pump and the flywheel off. It's hard to guess by eyeballing, but the P&C look good, the saw idles and throttles up like a champ, even 4-strokes at WOT. These are not signs of an air-leak. I realize it's cheap to replace the seals, plus I've got it all opened up, but there's just no evidence of a leak.

I'm way more keen to deal with the oil-leaking between the oil line and the crank-case. It doesn't look like it's leaking at the interface between the pump and the oil-line, but I admit it's tough to tell. I suspect the seals inside the pump body are a bit tired too, as there's a hint of oil around the adjustment screw.

The exhaust port chip...well, I guess it wasn't so tough to shoot through the plug hole. Just use a LED light and stick it through the hole, then shoot without a flash...

attachment.php

Oddly there's no mark on the piston looking through the exhaust.

That is a very fresh looking chip with no carbon on it. Looks like that cyl has had a screwdriver jammed in it for a piston stop but there should be a corresponding dent in the top edge of the piston if that was the case.

If that was my saw I would at the very least pull the cyl and deburr that chip.

Pulled the muffler off and took a couple of shots from the other side...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree it looks fresh, though I'm not sure if it was me or the PO. I used starter-rope as a piston stop and made sure the piston was past the exhaust port when I was pulling the flywheel (first piston-stop I used on this saw). I discovered the chip when I looked through the port to make sure the piston was in position. It could be there was something in the bore when I first started it (can't imagine what), as I hadn't pulled the flywheel yet, just fitted the plug, fixed the coil & recoil starter, fueled it up. I'm kinda surprised at the piston. There's not so much as a mark on it or the rings; I have fired up this saw for testing several times, but have not cut with it yet.

Maybe whatever caused it is what caused the flywheel key to shear. <edit> Even that makes no sense, as there is no mark on the top of the piston.

Last edited:
Dumb question of the morning...

Not sure how to tell a rim-sprocket is done, don't have a new one to compare against, soooo...would you replace this?

attachment.php

It's an Oregon sprocket & drum; are Stihl & Oregon sprockets interchangeable?

Great saw!!
The rims will all fit just make sure its the same 404 7.
Lots of people here in BC use 404.
Rims are cheap in the US but about $15 here.
As with most saw parts.
As well as anything else.
BBB

Switch the saw over to 3/8 chain. You need a bar and rim anyway.

Pop that cylinder and at least decarbon the piston crown, combustion chamber, and exhaust port. You can more carefully inspect that chip while you're in there. I'd replace the crank seals and oil line too. Use a heat gun to soften the oil line for installation.

Fun fact: the tail on that bar isn't broken -- that's just how big Oregon bars are. Slap a new nose on it, dress the rails to the nose, and you're back in business.

EDIT: I see it's a bit splayed, though... hmm. Maybe it wants replaced after all.

Switch the saw over to 3/8 chain.

Um, could you educate me (please) on the merits of one vs the other? I haven't much feel for it. It seems like the longer links would require a bigger diameter sprocket, and hence the motor will work harder to drive it, plus the bigger teeth require more force to be pulled through the wood. Is it that noticeable?

The chain looks to have better than 80% left, has never had the rakers filed and is a full-skip chisel, 32" 0.404 pitch 0.063 gauge. Is this a bad thing? I'm thinking in a bar that long, it's the minimum number of cutters to sharpen, but the longer pitch with full skip will make it feel rough in the wood.

First....Congrats on a great score!!:msp_thumbup:

I would pull that jug on an unknown saw like that, just for the peace of mind.....At least de-burr that chip while you're in there.....Before you do that, Vac and pressure test the saw as well, or if you don't have the equipment for that, it's worth giving the dealer $20 to do it for you.....If you don't know to begin with if that saw is air tight, you will be chasing gremlins forever!

Nothing wrong with running .404 chain.....Here in BC, every shop keeps some .404 around in .058 and .063 gauge......That sprocket rim is toast!

You have a good chain so I'd stck to the .404 pitch. Here in BC it is very common to run .404 on 85cc and bigger saws. AAMOF quite a few guys run .404 on 372's and 440/460's which I think is crazy, but they run 'em that way all day every day with 30-32 bars too!

Ok, so lots of disadvantages to 404, but I've not yet heard any advantages. Do the chains stay sharp/last longer? What's the benefit?

Last edited:
Not sure how to tell a rim-sprocket is done, don't have a new one to compare against, soooo...would you replace this?

It's an Oregon sprocket & drum; are Stihl & Oregon sprockets interchangeable?

Yes, Oregon makes replacement rim sprockets for almost every saw on the market.

Madsen's has a good explanation of rim sprocket wear:

A good general rule is: one sprocket will last for the complete life of two chains. If you are running an Oregon sprocket, another way of determining wear is to look at the wear bars. Oregon sprockets have small recesses cast into their surfaces. When the chain wears down to them, it is time to replace the sprocket. If the sprocket you have doesn't have wear bars, we recommend replacing it when it has 1/64" of wear on its surface.

more info Sprockets For Pro Saws

Back