Depth Gauge Tools for Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a photo of a vintage Oregon Universal Depth Gauge Part No. 540 identical to this one of yours that was sold by somebody on eBay. According to that tool's original included instructions, "The numbers at the dial screw represent five thousandths graduations. They are accurate from the base starting point; each individual will soon learn to set the gauge at the best point suited for his own personal needs." Hope this info is helpful for you or anybody else wishing to use this tool.
Thanks Alan!

Welcome to A.S.!

Philbert

STIHL 2-in-1 (also Pferd)

Adding this here. It shows how the depth gauge setting is dependent on the height of the cutter in front of the one being filed. This popular tool does not work on skip tooth chains (that next cutter is not there), and does not work well on chains with cutters of significantly different / uneven lengths.

STIHL 2 in 1 part1.png

Philbert

As a fan of the 2-in-one file thing, I'd been assuming that it works only on full comp chain. But someone here pointed out that you could probably use it on skip chain if you handle it right. Been meaning to try it that way. I have only one skip chain--on my 7900 with 24" bar--which I have use for only very rarely.

But in the illustration above, if you could maintain the #3 position flat on the tooth you're sharpening, seems like you could get the desired result. Probably not down to exactly perfect, but close enough. Sometime I'll give it a try.

After decades of experience cutting with chainsaws I look down the front of the bar at the raker & cutting edge relationship. You can see a spark plug gap of .025” that’s around the raker depth. I make the same passes on each raker it’s usually two on each raker. Maximum three on the bigger power heads.
I make the same amount of passes when I sharpen each tooth. This keeps the chain sharpening even.

Doesn`t look anything like a chainsaw chain does it. You know how to sharpen this type cutting instrument?
We have some threads on crosscut saws. Fun to use when sharp. More skill and knowledge required to sharpen them. Plus, you can’t simply toss them, like you might a chain, if they get buggered up, so skilled users tend to be protective of them.

Here’s one thread:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/crosscut-saw-manuals-references.210332/
And another:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/crosscut-saws.223541/
Philbert

We have some threads on crosscut saws. Fun to use when sharp. More skill and knowledge required to sharpen them. Plus, you can’t simply toss them, like you might a chain, if they get buggered up, so skilled users tend to be protective of them.

Here’s one thread:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/crosscut-saw-manuals-references.210332/
And another:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/crosscut-saws.223541/
Philbert
Thanks ,Philbert, I have been filing cross cut saws since the 1960`s, my dad was a master filer of them since the 1930`s. I have all the tooling, gauges and files for sharpening these blade saws along with a good collection of fine blades. I guess my question was a rhetorical one, should have made that plainer so as not to require you fine gentlemen to answer to it.

Word of warning folks, I got one of the file mate style guide, and I thought i bought name brand but nope. Anyways a few days ago I was fighting to get an old chain cutting well and I busted out a straightedge and some feelers and discovered the depth setting in the guide was just way way off. My .025 guides were actually set to about. 018, no wonder the saw was a dog.

I'm in the market for a trust worthy guide now, since setting the whole chain with feelers and a straight edge took bloody forever

I bought some .325 Oregon txl chains and for my surprise the Husqvarna depth gauges doesnt work. It just doesnt fit right :(

I got one of the file mate style guide, and I thought i bought name brand but nope.
Yep. Lots of cheap knockoffs out there. Pretty simple tool, but it needs to be accurate.

I bought some .325 Oregon txl chains and for my surprise the Husqvarna depth gauges doesnt work. It just doesnt fit right.

Gauges are specific to certain chains. Husqvarna makes a separate roller guide for narrow kerf, .325 chain, which is different than the guide for standard.325 chain.

See my photos in Posts #40 and 48 in this thread.

Philbert

Back