DHT 27 ton on sale at Menards!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianBrentwood

Reaction score
Guys,

I have been a long time lurker on this site....probably 3-4 years. Love all of the great information but I am not a regular, and not a professional. Used the site to do some research on log splitters earlier this year when my Swisher unit died. Looked at the SpeeCo, Brave products but then saw the post on all of the new DHT products. They seem to have good reviews across the board but wanted to wait a bit longer. Well I got this Menards ad this week that the 27 ton DHT unit was on sale for the weekend for $899. Decided to pull the trigger after going to the store and talking to the DHT sales manager live, on my cell phone....while I was in the store. Who would have thought I could have actually talked to someone from the company anymore! If anyone is in the market for a splitter, this unit is everything it is described to be. Got ours from the store still in the crate from the manufacturer. Took 30 min to assemble. Threw some light weight hydraulic fluid, engine oil and gas in it and it fired right up. We only split 8-10 cords a year so I am sure this unit is overkill. I think we got a screaming deal, almost feel guilty. At any rate, I just thought I'd let everyone know and you can see the flyer attached below! The only fine print is that $300 of the $500 off is in the form of Menards store credit. Which is OK for us because we shop there often and we used it to buy the oils.

Brian

Attachments

• log splitter ad.JPG
    log splitter ad.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 116
Wish I had the cash I would buy one in a minute. That's a good price! Where ya at in michigan? I have a cord of rounds left to split if ya want to "test" it some more! LOL

Thanks for the nice review Brian. We actually didn't know Menards was going to promote the product this heavily. Nice to see though! Doubt you'll ever see it at this price again!

Guys,

I have been a long time lurker on this site....probably 3-4 years. Love all of the great information but I am not a regular, and not a professional. Used the site to do some research on log splitters earlier this year when my Swisher unit died. Looked at the SpeeCo, Brave products but then saw the post on all of the new DHT products. They seem to have good reviews across the board but wanted to wait a bit longer. Well I got this Menards ad this week that the 27 ton DHT unit was on sale for the weekend for $899. Decided to pull the trigger after going to the store and talking to the DHT sales manager live, on my cell phone....while I was in the store. Who would have thought I could have actually talked to someone from the company anymore! If anyone is in the market for a splitter, this unit is everything it is described to be. Got ours from the store still in the crate from the manufacturer. Took 30 min to assemble. Threw some light weight hydraulic fluid, engine oil and gas in it and it fired right up. We only split 8-10 cords a year so I am sure this unit is overkill. I think we got a screaming deal, almost feel guilty. At any rate, I just thought I'd let everyone know and you can see the flyer attached below! The only fine print is that $300 of the $500 off is in the form of Menards store credit. Which is OK for us because we shop there often and we used it to buy the oils.

Brian
How long have you worked for DHT?

14 second cycle time? You could take a nap.
That's what I thought. But you could put a 10hp chinese diesel engine on it for the savings and probably snap up things pretty quick. Sell off the original 6.5hp Kohler engine to regain some of the savings.

That's what I thought. But you could put a 10hp chinese diesel engine on it for the savings and probably snap up things pretty quick. Sell off the original 6.5hp Kohler engine to regain some of the savings.

How would a bigger engine speed things up? Unless you add a bigger pump too, but then what are you really buying in the first place if you have to do all that?

How would a bigger engine speed things up? Unless you add a bigger pump too, but then what are you really buying in the first place if you have to do all that?
You are absolutely correct! I assumed that the engine might be the limiting factor for the splitter, if it is the pump then you have to do a lot and it is not worth it exchanging anything.

One comment regarding cycle time is that you don't have to make an entire stroke every split. Often times I only move the ram a few inches each split and seldom use the auto return feature. So it can be quicker to manually stop the ram rather than use the auto return.

My father just picked one of these up. Sale price of $1199 + a $300 in store rebate was a really good deal for him ( Menards is one of our go to stores, so 300 dollars will get used up pretty quick ) I went with him after work on Friday and they had already sold 3 of the 9 they had. We had loaned our trailer out to somebody so we had to pick it up on Sunday and by that time all 9 were sold. Started putting it together on Sunday evening, but had to stop, because the castle nuts were missing. I'm going to call Customer service to see how that goes today ( I know I could go to my local hardware store and buy some, but we aren't in a rush )

I noticed this one didn't have the "upgraded" hose from the tank to the pump that I saw in the DHT main thread ( http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...t-dirty-hand-tools.235400/page-5#post-4312581 ). Not a big concern since it will never go on an off road trail.

As far as cycle speed, this is an upgrade for us, my father built a log splitter back in the early 80s, but it used the hydraulics off of a tractor little IH farmall 240 utility tractor, with a 20+ second cycle time..

Justin

I looked at the Menards splitters before I bought my 28 ton Speeco at Farm & Fleet for $1200 All the ones at Menards looked very cheaply built compared to the Speeco, and cheap China engines. I decided to spend a couple extra hundred and get something that will most likely out live me.

Anyone else think it is weird that two people joined here and made their first post endorsing DHT?

Well I don't know how to prove that I am not fake, besides the fact that I posted that I was missing parts.. I joined because I found this place by searching for info about them and found this thread.. http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...litter-line-from-dht-dirty-hand-tools.235400/ With there being a huge sale at Mendards, my guess is there was probably about a hunderd of them sold this past weekend.

Anywho, I did call them for the missing parts. I had to leave a message, but got a call back in a few minutes and they are sending me the missing parts. The man I talked to was very friendly and stated he will ship them out today.

I know that the Kohler motor on this unit is made in China because it says it (honestly until it was mentioned in this thread I just assumed Kohler = made in US), but at least it is brand name. I tried to find where B&S's were made, but they don't state on their website.. A web search I found back in 2011 somebody said that the 1450s and above from Briggs were made in the US, but that could of changed now.. One would think that they would want to promote that.

Oh and what is Farm & Fleet?? J/K Where I am from we just have FleetFarms ( I'm from Northeast WI)

Here are some pics.. Don't make fun of my messy garage please!
20140209_154908[1].jpg
This is a pic of wheel on, but no castle nut as it was missing.
20140210_114328[1].jpg
Pic showing that the hose is the older way of running it.
20140209_154928[1].jpg
Pic of Kohler motor.
20140210_114320[1].jpg
Not sure why I added this pic...
20140210_114413[1].jpg
Pic of the ram and trailer portion.
20140210_114455[1].jpg

Justin

Anyone else think it is weird that two people joined here and made their first post endorsing DHT?

Joined in 2011....a year before you, and well before Dirty Hand Tools was on the market! I just haven't spent my time making posts about gun topics!
This is precisely why I dont respond to posts. Tried to do the forum a favor....I'll go back to just reading the useful stuff....if I have problems with this splitter I'll let everyone know

Latest posts

Back