Doing it by hand now!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
Not THAT!, filing. I went to a chainsaw sharpening class today. Held at Sheldon Hill Forestry Supply. Very informative to have somebody SHOW me how to file rather than try to explain it. I paid for the class but will save money in the long run by not paying to have my chains ground. I now request membership in "The brotherhood of free-hand filers". I brought my XL-12 to class which I didn't think had all that bad of a chain on it until I learned what I was looking at!

You may ignore this question if you wish, but how much did the class cost and how many hours?
Also was there a waiver you had to sign to free them from litigation should the new knowledge cause a frivilous claim?
For example " my chain was so sharp I cut myself"
Someday when I'm too old or busted up to climb maybe I could teach for a living, after learning enough on this forum of course.

Hi Sedanman, no need to worry about sharpe chain. If you can file then the saw and the chain becomes a close friend, otherwise,no need to fear. Close calls are good, but severe injuries illicite a new found respect. Modern day saws are very user friendly and are not likely to attack you if you think of the saw as just an extension of your arm.
Safety First
Rocky the Rock Mechanic, We Fix Rocks Ltd. (as in open pit mining)
John, the Rock Star, as in, " Im the burnin bush, I'm the burnin fire, I'm the bleedin volcanoe. (M.J.)
Oh well, I guess I am just a bit shack wacky and will be glad to get out for a bit.
Cheerio,
John

Keener, class was $35.00. Lasted about 2 1/2 hours. Had a big saw tooth model from Oregon to use as visual aid. For the fee we all got coffe/donuts etc. and to keep the new file/handle we used in class. I felt the fee was reasonable as ruining a chain or two until I figured out would probably cost more. The instructor had many examples of rocked out chain. "Training doesn't cost, it pays"!

filing

Sedanman,
I have been filing my chains since I have used a saw, and always wondered if I am doing it right. Can't see in paying someone, and I also feel that grinding removes too much tooth, shortening chain life. Also, when I have seen ground chains, the teeth were turned blue at the tip. In my experience with heat treating metal, I would say that is no goo, it could be annealing the tooth at that point. I know of no classes near me. A couple of years ago, I got a single new tooth, it was huge, from my dealer. I use this as my visual aid to keep the angles and hook correct. Can you offer me any other advise. Possibly some photos? Thanks.

paul,
that was a real good price. back when i became an instructor it was $135.00 a day for five days. of course i learned more than sharpening but without a sharp chain you have nothing. do you remember the instructors name?
protect yourselves; marty

Toolmaker, As I am new to this I'm probably not one to spout off advice. It boils down to following the instructions in any number of books. I read all I could find but there is no substitute for hands-on instruction. I do not have a digital camera or I would post a picture of my handiwork (pretty good job if I do say so myself!).

Marty, The instructors first name is Bruce,. He is the shop owner and was very well prepared to teach, visual aids etc. I didn't query him as to his teaching credentials but what he said went hand in hand with all that I've read. If you would ever put on a chainsaw related clinic, I'd be there.

Latest posts

Back