Easiest starting chainsaw? (50-80cc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know that it has been discussed before, but im not sure if there is anything new that is out.

Im looking for a pro grade saw for my father, he has a 660 but it is getting hard for him to start.
We have all stihl saws but are not brand loyal

Is the dolmar 6100 still the best option?

Thank you all,
Dave

Hello all,
I know that it has been discussed before, but im not sure if there is anything new that is out.

Im looking for a pro grade saw for my father, he has a 660 but it is getting hard for him to start.

Thank you all,
Dave
I have a Dolmar 6100 and it is by far the easiest saw to crank that I have ever had. If you drop start it, it's not much different from any other saw it's size. BUT if you sit it down and pull it, it's a whole different world. There are YouTube videos of 6 year old girls cranking them. It's that easy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

While not a pro saw, stihl's ms 291 c-be has the easy to start feature, you can pull these saws over with your pinky finger.
My Chinese saw has it too, I start it with my pinky to show my buds how to start it, this was weird at first but is nice once you get used to it.

What and how much would he be cutting? Weight is probably big consideration. The new (version 2) 261cm is light and easy to start. He still has 660 if and when needed.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have an easy start Dolmar (421) and a stihl 261v2. Honestly, the dolmar starts super easy, but the stihl is right there with it. Once the stihl is warmed up, it's probably easier since you can hit the decompress valve and just pull it as easily as you can imagine and it fires right up. Both good choices. Depending on your dad and his ability to learn new things, changing platforms may be challenging. My dad never can quite figure out the dolmar routine. He was a Stihl guy, so it's totally backwards to him. I figured he could adjust, but I don't think it'll ever be natural for him.

thank you all very much he had a husky for a while that he got good at learning, he is getting stronger again, but isnt getting younger,
Hes crazy, he still cuts about 20 cords for firewood every year (he loves it)
does dolmar hold up close to stihl or husky?
From what i can find, people love that saw

Thank you all so much

I have Dolmar, Husqvarna and Stihl products. I am not brand loyal at all. In my opinion the Dolmar is better built of the three, also slightly heavier, also cheaper than the other two. Husqvarna probably cuts slightly faster than the others.
thank you all very much he had a husky for a while that he got good at learning, he is getting stronger again, but isnt getting younger,
Hes crazy, he still cuts about 20 cords for firewood every year (he loves it)
does dolmar hold up close to stihl or husky?
From what i can find, people love that saw

Thank you all so much

You can drop start with the dolomar easy start? My Chinese 5200 came with the stupid system and it sometimes catches harder than other times and would send the chain towards your leg if you were drop starting. It is stupidly easy to pull over though. If I have to stay it standing up I just set the base of it against my thigh and pull outward on the cord.

You can drop start with the dolomar easy start? My Chinese 5200 came with the stupid system and it sometimes catches harder than other times and would send the chain towards your leg if you were drop starting. It is stupidly easy to pull over though. If I have to stay it standing up I just set the base of it against my thigh and pull outward on the cord.
You can drop start it but you don't get the full effect of the easy start. If you set it down all you have to do is pull it easy. No fast jerking necessary.

I am going to follow along here if ya don't mind an extra. I have a new 5105 and it starts very very very poorly it is brand new and yes I took it back to the shop shortly after noticing how hard it is to start. I have had rotator cuff surgery on my left now I have a bone spur on my right that I need surgery for. This is the whole reason I bough the dolmar. I want to believe I am doing something wrong. But I tried to use it last week after it sat unused for about 4 months. I pulled that saw till I wanted to throw it and then grabbed my 30 year old Partner and cut off the 2 inch limb that was in my way. The one thing I have to admit is I have never tried to sit it on the ground and pull it. The Kubota was running so maybe I missed the initial pop and then flooded it. I will try it again soon this time with fresh gas but even new it has not started well.

I am going to follow along here if ya don't mind an extra. I have a new 5105 and it starts very very very poorly it is brand new and yes I took it back to the shop shortly after noticing how hard it is to start. I have had rotator cuff surgery on my left now I have a bone spur on my right that I need surgery for. This is the whole reason I bough the dolmar. I want to believe I am doing something wrong. But I tried to use it last week after it sat unused for about 4 months. I pulled that saw till I wanted to throw it and then grabbed my 30 year old Partner and cut off the 2 inch limb that was in my way. The one thing I have to admit is I have never tried to sit it on the ground and pull it. The Kubota was running so maybe I missed the initial pop and then flooded it. I will try it again soon this time with fresh gas but even new it has not started well.
I'm not that familiar with the 5105. I'm not sure if it has "easy start". It's a spring assisted starter feature that makes it very easy to pull over, not how many pulls it takes to actually fire up. But it should fire on the second or third pull. My 6100 always does.
I would say there is a little something going on with yours. Maybe check the plug for good spark and correct gap.
If it's still under warranty, I would insist the dealer correct it.

Hello all,

Thank you all,
Dave
By getting hard to start, do you mean too many pulls or just overall pull strength in general?
Too many pulls can be remedied with some good maintenance and carb adjustment. Also the decomp may be faulty and immediately popping out on the first pull.
Saying that I still wouldn't turn down the opportunity to buy a new dolkita.

Took me a long time to get used to easy start system on my Echo string trimmer (wife loved starting it, I nearly junked it). Nothing wrong with the trimmer just me not knowing how b/c of starting "normal" for so many years.

I have no experience with the dolmar 6100.

But the easiest starting saw I've ever ran is my ms260 pro.

Being 50cc and having a compression release makes It so easy to start.. 1 pull and "pop", push in the compression release, flip off the choke and it usually goes on the second pull.

Love that Dolmar/Makita easy start! Just put a new top end on a dcs5121, 4 slow pulls from no gas to running.

Latest posts

Back