Easiest starting chainsaw? (50-80cc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience with the dolmar 6100.

But the easiest starting saw I've ever ran is my ms260 pro.

Being 50cc and having a compression release makes It so easy to start.. 1 pull and "pop", push in the compression release, flip off the choke and it usually goes on the second pull.
The 6100 is a 61cc saw with no decomp. It does have an air purge bulb. Runs on second pull most of the time when cold. The spring assisted makes for very easy pulling.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If the starting of a larger saw like the 660 is becoming an issue with age shouldn't the weight as well?

With that considered and bars interchangeable maybe the Stihl 261c Version 2 would be a better longer term fit. I've got both and not much a 6100 can do the 261 can't. Quite a bit more nimble as well.

The 6100 is a 61cc saw with no decomp. It does have an air purge bulb. Runs on second pull most of the time when cold. The spring assisted makes for very easy pulling.

That's sounds very interesting.

Never really seen a dolmar around these parts. Even makitas are pretty rare.

I've got a 391 that's in now that's got the compression valve and is really easy to pull start. Not quite a pro saw and about 2/3 the CCs of the 660, but quite beastly in its own right.

That's sounds very interesting.

Never really seen a dolmar around these parts. Even makitas are pretty rare.
Makita bought Dolmar a while back, so all new new ones are branded Makita but still the Dolmar red color, still made at Dolmar factory in Germany. Very good saws.

Makita bought Dolmar a while back, so all new new ones are branded Makita but still the Dolmar red color, still made at Dolmar factory in Germany. Very good saws.

A long time ago I think.. Like 20 years or something. Only recently though they did away with the Dolmar name in the US. Any their saws are now branded as Makita.

Unfortunately though, they have shifted some production to China. The Dolmar 421 was assembled in Germany. Recently the new ones aka Makita ea4300 have been made in China. :(

A long time ago I think.. Like 20 years or something. Only recently though they did away with the Dolmar name in the US. Any their saws are now branded as Makita.

Unfortunately though, they have shifted some production to China. The Dolmar 421 was assembled in Germany. Recently the new ones aka Makita ea4300 have been made in China. :(
Yes they were in partnership years ago and they made the blue Makitas and the Dolmars . They totally aquired it a couple years ago. Sad to hear some are Chinese now.

If Saw does not start on the 3rd pull, something is wrong. You can buy any brand and it should start on the 3rd pull in any weather. If I buy a new saw and the Dealer does not let me start it, I will walk away.

Yes they were in partnership years ago and they made the blue Makitas and the Dolmars . They totally aquired it a couple years ago. Sad to hear some are Chinese now.
No, no, yes.
1991, they bought Sachs Dolmar and then changed it to Dolmar.
In 2016 they merged the brands/the name, this had nothing to do with ownership.

Well I am all ears and sore shoulders here ha ha,.. so any starting/ pulling tips I will listen to that's why I wanted to watch the thread so I could learn from a actual owner.
Dolmars seem to pop 1st or second pull on the ones I have and will flood very easily.
Hopefully you've already figured it out, wouldn't want you to have to throw down with the Partner any more than you have too :eek:.

Dave did you decide on a saw for your father, pictures are required:lol:.

Anyone that says the Dolmar easy start saws are jerky or harsh is doing the same thing I did. I HATED my 5105 when I was trying to drop start it. They are not designed to be started that way. They must be pulled gently. I've since given my Dad the 5105 but all I do with that is stick the rear handle between my thighs and gently pull til it pops, then choke off a couple more gentle pulls and she fires. It was actually really cool when I figured it out.

Anyone that says the Dolmar easy start saws are jerky or harsh is doing the same thing I did. I HATED my 5105 when I was trying to drop start it. They are not designed to be started that way. They must be pulled gently. I've since given my Dad the 5105 but all I do with that is stick the rear handle between my thighs and gently pull til it pops, then choke off a couple more gentle pulls and she fires. It was actually really cool when I figured it out.
Same here with my 6100, I had always drop started my Husqvarna and did the same with my new Dolmar. I thought something was wrong with it until I figured it out. Now it's slow easy pulling. It really surprised me how slow it can be pulled and still fire up.

I can't lie. Been wondering why so many people plug their decomp.
That's another deal altogether unless you really need it.
Most guys don't use decomps because so many air leaks happen with them, don't use it and they won't leak. I don't use them myself, hate it when someone hits it before starting one of my saws(duce, Tim don't get any ideas :nofunny:).
Decomps will aid in starting, but from what I understand they are supposed to help save wear on starter parts.

Most guys don't use decomps because so many air leaks happen with them, don't use it and they won't leak. I don't use them myself, hate it when someone hits it before starting one of my saws(duce, Tim don't get any ideas :nofunny:).
Decomps will aid in starting, but from what I understand they are supposed to help save wear on starter parts.
You can try and start my 372 without it. I've never actually managed to pull the starter rope all the way out without the decomp.

+10 High compression is hard on those rewind starters is the deal. That drop starting is a shock on those starters also. Have a 390 that needs two foot holds to start without decompression.

Latest posts

Back