echo cs-400 seized?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomba88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Using my echo cs-400 at work today out of no where it stopped and I can not get the pull start to work. Took the cover off and checked the wheel, it wont spin at all either. Not sure what happened I used mixed fuel for it, could it have seized?

Using my echo cs-400 at work today out of no where it stopped and I can not get the pull start to work. Took the cover off and checked the wheel, it wont spin at all either. Not sure what happened I used mixed fuel for it, could it have seized?
You can’t get the clutch to turn with the clutch cover off? Did you check to see if you knocked your chain brake on?

I can not get the fly wheel to turn. The pull start mechanism itself spins, but once it is put on it will not turn it at all.

I would suggest removing the muffler to get a look at the piston through the exhaust port. You will very likely be able to see damage on the piston if the piston seized in the cylinder. It could also be something like a screw coming loose and becoming jammed behind the flywheel.

Then by all means pull the muffler and check the piston. I did have this happen on a 10 month old 400.

Attachments

• 300F57C6-363A-4D93-9C45-9B54E2872ED7.jpeg
    300F57C6-363A-4D93-9C45-9B54E2872ED7.jpeg
    751.6 KB · Views: 25
Or you could take it in for warranty. But they'll charge you $35(refundable if they decide it is a defect).

And they'll ask you a bunch of stupid questions to try and pin the blame on you.

I know this because I called to ask if the chain catcher on my 361P, which is made of plastic, and broke the first time I threw a chain, was a warranty item.
The guy asked me how it broke, and I told him I threw a chain when I was cutting some brush. And he said, "You were cutting brush!?", as though I had committed a crime.
And then tried to tell me that I had the chain too loose, and asked how tight it was(of course when I picked it up from them they had the chain so tight it couldn't be turned by hand, and would probably burn a bearing or otherwise destroy the saw if ran like that all the time). I told him my chain is always properly tensioned.

And then he proceeded to lecture me on the reason my chain got tore up was because I was cutting dirt and rocks. And I said there's nothing wrong with the chain, it's the chain catcher, after which he returned to lecturing me about how I tore up the chain, and I asked, "do you know what a chain catcher is?"
And he said something else about the chain and I said, "chain catcher, chain catcher"
And then he asked, "what is it was called again?"
After he looked it up, he said,"Oh guys usually just buy those"
And I said I'll buy one, and bring the broken part up there so it can be warranteed and I'll have an extra.
And he said that I'd have to leave the saw there so they could determine what caused it(cheap plastic chain catcher) to break.

Now I'm not bashing the dealer, because I'm sure the guy that owns the place and probably at least one other employee know what's what.
But there might be a few people that work at these places that could use some additional training.

The chain catcher is a sacrificial part.

I guess the Echo’s is fully committed to its special purpose.

I would say the “chain catcher” on my Dolmar 420 is also fully committed.

I should probably mod that before I have to buy a whole clutch cover.

Some “chain catchers” are kinda like toilet paper. Or sanitary napkins.

Some are not.

The chain catcher is a sacrificial part.

I guess the Echo’s is fully committed to its special purpose.

I would say the “chain catcher” on my Dolmar 420 is also fully committed.

I should probably mod that before I have to buy a whole clutch cover.

Some “chain catchers” are kinda like toilet paper. Or sanitary napkins.

Some are not.
Yeah, I kind of agree. But I didn't expect it to break right in half the first time.
Might've saved the chain some damage though.
But the Echo CS-400 has a little piece of angle iron that'd probably outlast three saws.

If the limiters are still on the carb it may have seized from being to lean. A lot of them come out of the box very lean even with the limiter set as rich as possible. I agree with the folks saying to pull the muffler and check the piston.

So I was able to get the fly wheel to turn by hand and was able to get it started. Now it is full throttle once started with out giving it any gas. As soon as I release the brake the blade starts turning on its own.

Will try to check it out today. If it is not worth fixing what recommendations would you make for a new chainsaw of the same specs?

Latest posts

Back