Echo CS490 vs. Stihl MS 250 or MS 291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I was reading a thread earlier that had a vote between the 421, 241, 026, and a couple of others, and the 421 got like 80% of the votes.
Something like 55 for the 421 and 7 or 8 for the 241. I was really surprised.
That 421 sure does start easy too. Unbelievable really.
Where's this thread so I can vote, sounds like plenty of others missed out on voting too.
While the 421 is a great bargain for the price I'd choose the stihl if I had the choice for doing paying jobs.
I'd run the 16" LP on the 421 if I were you. Is yours missing the clutch drum or are you wanting the 3/8.

Where's this thread so I can vote, sounds like plenty of others missed out on voting too.
While the 421 is a great bargain for the price I'd choose the stihl if I had the choice for doing paying jobs.
I'd run the 16" LP on the 421 if I were you. Is yours missing the clutch drum or are you wanting the 3/8.
Here's the link
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dolmar-421-stihl-250-251-241-or-261.292118/page-8
It's an old thread. I voted for the 241 also. That's the one I'd prefer to use myself, but don't know that I'd necessarily buy it for a crew to use and tear up.

My 421 came with a 3/8lp 6 pin spur sprocket/clutch drum that needed to be replaced when I bought it.

I've starting to work on downsizing the herd of 40 to 65cc saws and am hoping to add a new 241 in place of about 6 or 7 of them.
But I go back and forth on it, thinking I might just keep the Shindaiwa 491s since I have two bars and three chains. And most don't know what it is so resale might not be so great.

Back