Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys, new to all this, but I'm looking to buy 75-100 acres in Alabama. Recently retired and want to buy a portable sawmill to build a log home and shop and presently live in over taxed Fl.

What is a cat faced log, and why would it not make good lumber or logs for building? Got a lot more questions but I'll start another post for that.

thanks, Ken
A tree that has had the bark rubbed off and then poorly healed over, usually means some amount of rot is hidding, there are other causes but its usually just the bark gets damaged, be it from poor driving poor logging or just storm damage

The beginning of a cat face
131feb838f721d960e01fa4f6659938b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OK guys, new to all this, but I'm looking to buy 75-100 acres in Alabama. Recently retired and want to buy a portable sawmill to build a log home and shop and presently live in over taxed Fl.

What is a cat faced log, and why would it not make good lumber or logs for building? Got a lot more questions but I'll start another post for that.

thanks, Ken
A cat face is a defect. It's a section of the bark and cambium layer missing
Most commonly in the lower trunk
It can be man made purposely or not. Often to gather resin & has and still is being used by North American Natives with the Western Red Cedar for making conoe's. The are referred to in the Canadian west coast as (CMT's)
Cultural Modified tree's . With the help or excavating birbs and animals creating oxygen exchange the heart wood will be affected on many species eventually. The tree will close on the ends if it can and give it that female body part shape or conoe shape. Which makes me think of the Beaver. Animals and disease may be a cause also.

thanks, Ken

2a3ede14c6309934c3be09c4b3840841.jpg

This is the bottom of 1 if the Cat Faces: See the hollow middle?

Cat Faces are a sign of damage, & don’t make good Saw logs.

As far as advice,

1. Price a new LT-40 Hydraulic from WoodMizer to get a feel for what a new one cost.

2. Watch Craigslist starting when it gets cold, for a WoodMizer LT-40 Hydraulic. Buy a nice one as soon as you find it.

3. You’ll need a loader: a mid size Skid Steer is a very handy piece of equipment.
Case 1845C or Bobcat 863 is as good as any.

4. You’ll need Grapple & Pallet forks.

5. Learn to sharpen your own blades.

6. Search Solar Kiln.
http://owic.oregonstate.edu/solarkiln/plans.htm

7. Use your 1st sawn stuff to build a shed to Saw under: you’ll thank me later. Space your Post 25’ apart where you will load your logs.

Info added.

Should have seen the 4-5' diameter oak in my in-laws front yard before they had to take it down. It went up about 8 feet and split. It would make any woman who walked by blush. Including my 84 year on mother in law. LOL!

As far as advice,

1. Price a new LT-40 Hydraulic from WoodMizer to get a feel for what a new one cost.

2. Watch Craigslist starting when it gets cold, for a WoodMizer LT-40 Hydraulic. Buy a nice one as soon as you find it.

3. You’ll need a loader: a mid size Skid Steer is a very handy piece of equipment.
Case 1845C or Bobcat 863 is as good as any.

4. You’ll need Grapple & Pallet forks.

5. Learn to sharpen your own blades.

6. Search Solar Kiln.
http://owic.oregonstate.edu/solarkiln/plans.htm

7. Use your 1st sawn stuff to build a shed to Saw under: you’ll thank me later. Space your Post 25’ apart where you will load your logs.

Info added.

I've been checking CL from Miami to Virginia and some other sites for about 6 weeks haven't seen any bargains. Do they get cheaper in the winter. I know that WM and Cooks both have sales going on right now. I think I actually like the Cooks HD 3238 better than a WM but WM has the reputation. I posted a thread in the milling section on an LT50 I went and looked at this morning. Thanks for the great tips. Maybe the slab needs to be 50x50 with the saw under one side??? It was definetly going under a structure but hadn't thought about the 25' opening. (DOH forehead slap) LOL
thanks, Ken

I've been checking CL from Miami to Virginia and some other sites for about 6 weeks haven't seen any bargains. Do they get cheaper in the winter. I know that WM and Cooks both have sales going on right now. I think I actually like the Cooks HD 3238 better than a WM but WM has the reputation. I posted a thread in the milling section on an LT50 I went and looked at this morning. Thanks for the great tips. Maybe the slab needs to be 50x50 with the saw under one side??? It was definetly going under a structure but hadn't thought about the 25' opening. (DOH forehead slap) LOL
thanks, Ken

PM sent.

Well spent the morning putting down some pecker poles for a lady who wanted to open up her horse trail to give an area to camp rest picnic etc. Most of it I think was Aspen *see attached pic of me holding a dropped leaf on the trunk*
All between 6-8" dia 35-40ft long. Shame that was the spot she wanted cleared out as they would have been some nice trees in about 15 years.
I'll go in tomorrow and drag the logs out and clean it up some.

I dislike small diameter trees. But I got to practice some dove tails which is something I was never good at.

Been putting the pfanner Protos helmet through it's paces the past week or 2 so far I am definitely liking it over the husqvarna helmet I was using.

Attachments

• IMG_20171108_090137.jpg
    IMG_20171108_090137.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20171108_092332.jpg
    IMG_20171108_092332.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20171108_092409.jpg
    IMG_20171108_092409.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20171108_111402.jpg
    IMG_20171108_111402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20171108_111429.jpg
    IMG_20171108_111429.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 65
Well spent the morning putting down some pecker poles for a lady who wanted to open up her horse trail to give an area to camp rest picnic etc. Most of it I think was Aspen *see attached pic of me holding a dropped leaf on the trunk*
All between 6-8" dia 35-40ft long. Shame that was the spot she wanted cleared out as they would have been some nice trees in about 15 years.
I'll go in tomorrow and drag the logs out and clean it up some.

I dislike small diameter trees. But I got to practice some dove tails which is something I was never good at.

Been putting the pfanner Protos helmet through it's paces the past week or 2 so far I am definitely liking it over the husqvarna helmet I was using.

OK, another learning situation. In the group of photos above felling the small aspen. The last picture shows a cut I've never seen. I'm assuming the notch is made first, then the plunge cut in the middle and the wedge driven in, and then the two side cuts made? Is that correct. Purpose is to fell the tree in a certain direction, but diameter of the tree doesn't allow driving the wedge behind the bar like traditionally done, correct? I guess you are extremely careful sneaking up on the "hinge" when making the side cuts?

Latest posts

Back