Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D87A2941-E0B6-49AC-8ACB-C7E1C2A027E4.jpeg Well, wish me luck guys. Tomorrow is my last day at my regular job. Going to try logging and sawing on my own for a month and see how it goes. The company I’ve been with this last year is pushing up daisies, and pipeline skids are at a record high (the ones my former employer just sold at auction went for average $8.31/unit or $$1.04 a bd ft). At that rate running my old mill and iron in my timber lot I should be able to make over $1000 a day by myself, so I’m going to test my luck for a few weeks and see where I end up. If all else fails I’ve had over a dozen job offers, trades people are in crazy high demand up here right now.

Picture is the inglorious part of starting up on your own....

660dd21ca627f37691b5aa0141cdbd8f.jpg
c41220e736e1dc1ee5def035a32c9cc0.jpg

Nothing like being in a patch of (pick your favorite word) wood that’s been stunted by root rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 687216 Well, wish me luck guys. Tomorrow is my last day at my regular job. Going to try logging and sawing on my own for a month and see how it goes. The company I’ve been with this last year is pushing up daisies, and pipeline skids are at a record high (the ones my former employer just sold at auction went for average $8.31/unit or $$1.04 a bd ft). At that rate running my old mill and iron in my timber lot I should be able to make over $1000 a day by myself, so I’m going to test my luck for a few weeks and see where I end up. If all else fails I’ve had over a dozen job offers, trades people are in crazy high demand up here right now.

Giver some wah!

W
View attachment 687216 Well, wish me luck guys. Tomorrow is my last day at my regular job. Going to try logging and sawing on my own for a month and see how it goes. The company I’ve been with this last year is pushing up daisies, and pipeline skids are at a record high (the ones my former employer just sold at auction went for average $8.31/unit or $$1.04 a bd ft). At that rate running my old mill and iron in my timber lot I should be able to make over $1000 a day by myself, so I’m going to test my luck for a few weeks and see where I end up. If all else fails I’ve had over a dozen job offers, trades people are in crazy high demand up here right now.

what are they buying for skids?

W

what are they buying for skids?

4x6x48 poplar by the thousand. They had 11,000 skids at the sale. I thought that would have saturated the market a good bit but there really aren’t any rough cut mills up here anymore. None of the big guys like Wayerhauser or CanFor will do rough cut orders. There’s a great market for them. I thought I was doing good at $4.25 a piece, guess we need to price em up a little. Ha ha. At those prices my big timber can go to skids, not just scragg logs.

4x6x48 poplar by the thousand. They had 11,000 skids at the sale. I thought that would have saturated the market a good bit but there really aren’t any rough cut mills up here anymore. None of the big guys like Wayerhauser or CanFor will do rough cut orders. There’s a great market for them. I thought I was doing good at $4.25 a piece, guess we need to price em up a little. Ha ha. At those prices my big timber can go to skids, not just scragg logs.
I should start cutting my poplar.

It seems every video I watch they just clear cut everything. Google “ole lonely Doug” in BC. They cleared everything around him and just left him standing by himself.

The reason it seems like it is the rotation length in the PNW on some of company ground is around 40 years old on Doug fir. All I do is commercial thinning with a few smaller clear cuts a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why do they clear cut out west, instead of select cutting?

We do both, it's a management game in the end

In rough order...

Clear cut or burn...

Replant or cross yer fingers and hope knot weed or blackberries don't take over

Pre commercial thin, gets the junk out early

Commercial thin, takes the weaker trees out to make livin easier on the money trees

Clear cut...

Rinse repeat as necessary

Clear cuts are also used for many other purposes, such as remedying disease issues, clear to replant a better suited species, fire suppression etc.

The benefits from a loggers standpoint is that clear cuts are pretty easy to work so money comes easy, where as thins are pretty difficult to perform, while they can be profitable it's still a pain.

I think folks just don't realize just how much thinning is done out here, because the clear cuts are so blatant on the hillsides no one can usually tell where the thins happen

IMG_2385.JPG IMG_2386.JPG Up here it's all selective cut in the hardwoods as these take two or more generations to grow. This bush was last logged in the 50's with horses. The picture doesn't do the terrain justice, it's all rock just about every step. Some the size of a small Volkswagen.
And this picture from the property across the road.

Been a bit since I did any amount of posting here. Been alot of rain and mud the past few months get a couple days in the woods followed by a couple wet week's. Trying to keep the lights on and keep the kidlets on the right path.

Finally managed to get some cutting in today. Couple of frozen maples, the one in the center, and there's a good size marm bout 6 18 "stems off the left of the pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-07-17-31-57.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-07-17-31-57.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 35
Did a residential today. 50ft or so 24" across the cut. About 15' from the ne corner of the house causing alot of down draft on the owners chimney. Had a 15-20' window to shoot it thru, with the owners well on the right and a keeper tree to the left. Kinda boogered the back cut up a bit but she came down perfectly except the limbs held the butt end up 8' off the ground. You can see from the stump shot I narrowed the left side of the hold wood to get it to turn a bit from the keeper tree (in first pic it's the one on the right). Owner wants me back in the spring to do the smaller one dorectly behind his she'd (left one in the first pic)
IMG_20181220_103038.jpg IMG_20181220_103011.jpg IMG_20181220_102949.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't sure if I was going to need to tickle the hold wood a bit more after tapping on the second wedge so left the saw in the cut. After the tree started moving I turned and scooted wasn't gonna wait and pull it while the tree was going over as I tend to not like sticking around the stump once it's falling.

I generally do not like to do trees that close to a house or with an audience across the road on a porch so was a little off my game a bit.

Well just got a text from the owner of the residential I did the other dat. He sent me this pic, took it this afternoon. He has a new guest at his place that he's never seen before and is quite happy both in the work I did, and the fact his chimney hasn't downdrafted at all.
IMG_20181223_172254_382.jpg

Back