Favourit chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread om this subjekt who I think is much more important then the saw.
I just got a stihl 201, use it mostly for limbing sitka spruce , use a 44 dl Oregon 91 vxl chain, lightweight bar.
On a Husqvarna 550 I use the X cut, sp33g same on a Husqvarna 560.
On the Husqvarna 572 I use the old 73 LP and the new Husqvarna X cut C85 chain. Svar Are yours thought about this innteresting subject?

Has anyone used both sp33 and txl to compare?

Do you use the RS Pro on a NK bar or standard width?

For running I prefer the Stihl RS and PS but I much prefer an Oregon chain if I need to hand sharpen.

I’ve got two loops of EXL that I’ve not had a chance to try yet. Also haven’t tried X-Cut yet.

Before Husqvarna made their own chains I used mostly Oregon chains. Upp to recently about 90% of my work has been done with the .325 pitch.
Limbing spruce is what I do most offen and the stihl 201 with a 12 inch bar is big enough for the limbing, so now I use most 3/8 low pro.
I have always been most happy with semi/ micro chisel with the .325 pitch so I think I will continue with that on the 3/8 low pro also.
So far I am happy with the Oregon 91 vxl, but I will also try the picco semi chisel and Husqvarna x cut (S93G).

I like to run Stihl RS. Standard round ground, aggressive cutting chains. Nothing new, just a good, hard chain that lasts a long time and keeps an edge. It’s easy to get almost anywhere Stihl saws are sold. I don’t run skip unless the bar is long for the saw and only in softwood... Or it’s what’s on the saw when I go start cutting hardwood trees.

I ran Carlton for decades . Times has changed about all the chain I see is 50 gauge . Most of my bars are 58 gauge the 394 has a 63 gauge skip tooth 404 Carlton around 100 drive links . I use it for a log splitter . I just got some x cut for the 372 have not tried it yet . I used Sthil chain many years ago nice when new seemed very hard to sharpen . Oregon right of the box was slow for me . I always hear Oregon is smooth . I just want to blow throw it .

I always used LGX Oregon in the past but swapped over to the EXL recently. I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but I'd say they cut about the same, they wear about the same and they file about the same. The only real advantage I notice is the EXL doesn't seem to stretch as much.

I've also been switching back and forth a loop of x-cut vs. a loop of full chisel .325 Oregon (can't remember that number) on my smaller saw. Right now since everything's covered in snow the full chisel cuts quite a bit faster than the x-cut. Earlier this year I cleared a bunch of brushy stuff and flush cut a bunch of stumps and that x-cut really held an edge well when I know the full chisel would have been fried.

My colleauge also has a stihl 201 brand new. He has the original picco super chain, I filed the chain today so we can compare the picco super and the Oregon 91 vxl chain against each other.

I run mostly Stihl RM but only because i cut a lot of dirty wood. I was given some new oregon chain and it cuts ok on the 261 but i can tell it is a much softer chain when i hand file compared to the Stihl.

Back