Fins Sexy Twins!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you feel the additional muffler work made a difference?
No but only because I havnt ran them with a 28" yet. There will be more testing but justins gonna put some run time on them to get everything broke back in and reset. I don't think making 3 or 4 cuts after a build is enough to get an accurate display. Especially on mtronic or autotune. Justins gonna go play with the yellow wood so that'll be some good breakin. Lol.

Did you feel the additional muffler work made a difference?

The timber fallers that I've talked to were saying that the 461 and 661 don't really need a whole lot with opening up the muffler. Especially with the 661- since the C-M system keeps the power band and RPMs relatively stable. They said a small second outlet is plenty.

The timber fallers that I've talked to were saying that the 461 and 661 don't really need a whole lot with opening up the muffler. Especially with the 661- since the C-M system keeps the power band and RPMs relatively stable. They said a small second outlet is plenty.

I completely agree. In my testing I started losing time when I went over/larger than a .88" opening. I also lost time on big logs when I fabricated a dp cover ie. added a 2nd port. The 2nd port sounded better and seemed faster on small logs. But seemed to lose torque and thus got hurt on large logs or long bar.

So far, from my experiences and I will test further. But it seems like a bad idea to remove the baffle out of this particular saw.

I also think people get hung up on the effect of changes, because the saw takes a few tanks to fully show changes. Some say 3-6 tanks.

The next test I want to do is -

make timed test cuts with baffle in

then take baffle out and cut with the saw for 3 tanks.

then make timed test cuts with baffle out. With probably a 36" bar.

I would like to test this theroy out as well. For the simple fact that when I got saw #2 going it clearly was stronger than saw 1 and it's exhaust was single port at 60%. Know its a dual port sitting about 80%.

Will you be doing this with a ported saw, which obviously needs to breathe better than stock? Selfishly, that's my interest.

I was only able to get two tanks of fuel through each of these saws before the videos. I'm too ham fisted to tell a difference. I tried to treat each saw the same, but my handling has the most influence on cut times.

I think many of us would like to see what would happen if you replaced the dp cover with a solid cover , or better yet a muffler with full baffle and solid cover (with the stock exit port enlarged obviously)

I think many of us would like to see what would happen if you replaced the dp cover with a solid cover , or better yet a muffler with full baffle and solid cover (with the stock exit port enlarged obviously)
I ordered it yesterday and I'm hoping it comes in before u head south friday!

I completely agree. In my testing I started losing time when I went over/larger than a .88" opening. I also lost time on big logs when I fabricated a dp cover ie. added a 2nd port. The 2nd port sounded better and seemed faster on small logs. But seemed to lose torque and thus got hurt on large logs or long bar.

So far, from my experiences and I will test further. But it seems like a bad idea to remove the baffle out of this particular saw.

I also think people get hung up on the effect of changes, because the saw takes a few tanks to fully show changes. Some say 3-6 tanks.

I tried a DP cover on a stock 461 julez and i honestly couldnt tell a difference in power..did your testing say otherwise on that saw ?

Back