Fins Sexy Twins!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF?

I guess the rules don't alway apply. That's tight.

Carl, it's gonna be interesting to see the compression difference between the two saws. Were they run for the same amount so that ring breakin differences can be discounted?
Not really. I shoot for .018"-.020". My 066 came from the factory with .017". I know of another very well respected builder that built a 7900 with .012".

Why do you like it.

I see a trend towards tighter squish and lower compression amongst the builders here.
I've always aimed for 180-200 PSI compression. It doesn't take ultra high compression to make most saws run very well, and much less stress on the bottom end. Matter of fact, too much compression will slow some saws down.

I've always aimed for 180-200 PSI compression. It doesn't take ultra high compression to make most saws run very well, and much less stress on the bottom end. Matter of fact, too much compression will slow some saws down.
Raising compression, without setting proper squish is counterproductive IMHO. In MOST true 70+cc work saws I don't want to see much over 180 psi of compression. The 7900 and a few others it's a necessity to make a good runner.

Raising compression, without setting proper squish is counterproductive IMHO. In MOST true 70+cc work saws I don't want to see much over 180 psi of compression. The 7900 and a few others it's a necessity to make a good runner.

A young man thats a 2 stroke nut that lives by me who i have taking an intrest in saws alot more now shares your opinion...along with his dad who's been diggin in these 2 smokers for 30 years , the 2 saws i have ported by those guys are no joke...they fast and torquey..so obviously theres some truth to it.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by raising the compression without setting proper squish, do you mean making the squish too tight.

Now how do you go about knowing what tight enough is.
The squish amount does a few things.

It adds turbulence to the charge, so you SHOULD be less detonation resistant.

Also, the volume tapped in the Squishband isn't burned during the essential part of the power stroke. So that volume of charge is lost.

When there is expansion of the piston when the heat builds up, the squish area tightens more than the measured amount on the workbench. If the piston hits the jug at 10,000+ rpm, bad **** happens.

From hat I've seen here, the minimum amount varies and is predicated to some extent by the model, displacement and the quality and tolerances of the machine work.

My latest 026 was at .014, but I opened to .020 for comfort. It's already pulling 240 psi at .020.

From what I'm reading here, I should drop the jug down to .016 and open my chamber by a beveling it where it interfaces with the band.

Justin came and grab the saws tonight so he will do further testing and we'll get a tach on them when it gets here. First impression is the higher intake saw is torqueier but the both need some run time to let the mtronic reset and we'll go from there. Both running the same b&c 8 rim 36".

Latest posts

Back