Firewood Delivery truck-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Back on topic, I don't know that a beverage delivery truck would be the best way to go. You still have a lot of manual handling. I would think a box truck with a lift gate and pallet jack would work the best. You could palletize the firewood, shrink wrap it, and keep it in the truck like you wanted to do with the beverage truck.

kiln

Back on topic, I don't know that a beverage delivery truck would be the best way to go. You still have a lot of manual handling. I would think a box truck with a lift gate and pallet jack would work the best. You could palletize the firewood, shrink wrap it, and keep it in the truck like you wanted to do with the beverage truck.

Or don't shrinkwrap it but just band the wood, and have the interior of the box be some sort of kiln? Customers get fresh hot dried wood.

Hmm..maybe divert some of the engine heat, run additional radiators back there, with some fans to move fresh air in and out.

We have a Budweiser and a RC cola truck(both straight trucks) to haul concrete forms with. The beer truck just got dismantled. They're absolutely terrible for getting into tight spots like residential driveways and get stuck on wet grass. I'm not sure how high you plan on loading it but they can be extremely top heavy and are very rollover prone. The license and insurance are high as heck as well. A dump trailer would be my choice.

I think it would work if you had multiple deliveries scheduled for the day. To leave it full all the time is just burning fuel hauling wood that won't get off on that trip. For commercial deliveries it would be okay, for residential, not so much. I try my best not to run anything more than a truck and perhaps trailer to a residence. Too much silliness possible trying to get a big truck in place.

Not something I would even consider. Every piece would need to be hand stacked and unloaded and you are paying to haul around tons of wood you will not unload. Get a small rack truck (with dump bed) or a dump trailer and you will be happier. Less costly to operate, more maneuverable and with known dimensions the buyer knows what he is getting.

I would look at at dump trailer if I were you. The more you touch firewood the less money you make. That kind of truck would have to be loaded
and unloaded by hand - not good. In my opinion if you have to touch firewood more than one time during the entire processing and delivery you are heading for problems.

Another problem I thought of is if the piece of wood would jam itself between the pile and the door. It doesn't take much to keep these doors from opening. These trucks were designed for one specific purpose, unforeseen problems are sure to come up when using this truck for other purposes.

Worse part is, trucks are useless to be converted into something else. Before the body is installed the frame is cut and narrowed and the body drapes over it like a A frame. Dump body or flatbed cant be installed.

I am on the same side as the dump truck or dump trailer crowd. I built my dump trailer, It is 6x10 with 2 ft side boards. Thats 120cuft so with just a slight rounding in the middle, its a full cord and the rounding up in the middle makes it look like a bigger load than it is. My dump trailer bed height is just right to back under the wedge of my splitter, so when I split it just pushes the wood into the bed. I have to stop every few minutes to stack in the trailer bed, but I can split and have a load stacked in less then 3omin by myself. Drive to where i want it and then back in and dump. Gone in 60sec. I plan on redoing the sides to make them 3ft tall. This will allow me to haul a full cord of loose wood and save on stacking.

My view is that the best customer you have is the one you never see. You get a phone message saying how much they want and a flag or stake where they want it dumped. You load with tractor, you deliver with dump truck and dump in the spot, you leave bill with stamped self addressed envelope in it in door and in a week there is a check in your mailbox. If they are disputing your amount of wood then you both need to move on.
This is what my wife does with most of her lawn customers. If the customer is home it means she is working late because they all want to talk. She cuts grass, no money in talking.
Beverage truck ain't the way to go even now in 2016.
Could you imagine door to door oil sales?

I make sure customer is there, talking to them in person and them seeing I run a professional outfit has netted me lots of repeat business.

You handle the wood too many times. Good idea, but easier to divide a dump body. The beverage truck idea is like the campfire bundles. Lots of work.

I think a very heavy pickup like an F350 long bed with sides on a dump insert and a dump trailer is the way to go. Make the sides high enough so you can fit a cord in each, the dump bed insert and the dump trailer. For tight deliveries unhook the trailer and use the truck and for more open areas dump with the trailer. It's a lot easier, faster and more efficient than making multiple trips.

A dump bed is the only way to go. Simple and easy to use.
I stopped the petty "stack it here like this" or I wont buy your wood delivery calls.
I make most people come and get it. They see it, ok it. and buy and haul it away.
If your lucky enough to get it delivered, it's dumped on the driveway and they have to stack it.
I stopped delivering because of likability issues and the petty things costumers come up with.
Make it as simple as you can, you don't need the hassle in your life.
I sell out every year so finding buyers is not an issue.

Back