GAS,CARBS, AIRPLANE FUEL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You suppose that is the problem? Maybe the gas you are buying is old and they don't move A lot of volume and it stagnates?

The 2 stations that sell 93 octane and supposedly low or no alcohol in this county have about 16 pumps each and a couple cars in line all the time. They sell it oodles of gas. I never had problems with ANY engine till the alcohol was introduced. I also use Stabil in my engines when I finish using them. I kept thinking it was a carb problem for a while but I went through my bucket of throw away carbs last night and every carb in the bucket says Stihl on them too so I don't have any knock off carbs except on 1 saw that runs wicked awesome. 084 has the original Tilitson on it and I found a kit on the shelf for it. I think it gets down to what the tanker driver told me. They order a tanker load of regular and if the underground tank doesn't hold it all, they drop the hose in the premium tank. I notice my Nissan run around pickup will get 16 or 17 mpg 1 tank full and the next might be 21.6. It has the Infinity engine and supposed to run on 92+ according to the sticker on the gas door, the same as the V-8 in the old Jag.

The 2 stations that sell 93 octane and supposedly low or no alcohol in this county have about 16 pumps each and a couple cars in line all the time. They sell it oodles of gas. I never had problems with ANY engine till the alcohol was introduced. I also use Stabil in my engines when I finish using them. I kept thinking it was a carb problem for a while but I went through my bucket of throw away carbs last night and every carb in the bucket says Stihl on them too so I don't have any knock off carbs except on 1 saw that runs wicked awesome. 084 has the original Tilitson on it and I found a kit on the shelf for it. I think it gets down to what the tanker driver told me. They order a tanker load of regular and if the underground tank doesn't hold it all, they drop the hose in the premium tank. I notice my Nissan run around pickup will get 16 or 17 mpg 1 tank full and the next might be 21.6. It has the Infinity engine and supposed to run on 92+ according to the sticker on the gas door, the same as the V-8 in the old Jag.

Checked on AV100LL gas today. Told I have to have an aviation approved container, show a pilots license and provide the tail number of the plane to buy it. d

Originally they put MTBE in fuel. It contains oxygen, so it has the effect of making the jetting a little. Back in the days of carbureted and early fuel injected cars, many ran rich. Leaning them out a little made their exhaust cleaner. Then they found out that MTBE from leaking storage tanks goes into the water table, and it's toxic. Oops.

Ethanol has the same effect of making the mixture a little leaner. It takes more oxygen to burn a given volume of ethanol than it does for gas and it's less toxic than MTBE. So they switched to ethanol. But now most cars on the road have modern FI with oxygen sensors that adjusts the mixture. E10, or E0, it'll adjust. So E10 does not have any effect on emissions. We have to use it now because a lot of politically powerful corporations are making lots of money selling ethanol.

As I shared in a previous post not exactly correct. Yes when introducing methanol or ethanol to gasoline it takes more fuel to equal that of petroleum based fuels. Not very much, but some. When running 100 % alcohol your really notice the difference because the jetting needs to be huge. So when running E10 or other E fuels it is necessary to richen up the mixture a bit to keep from the possible seizure effects. Thanks

Latest posts

Back