Granberg Chisel Bit File-N-Joint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
I found a very rare piece up in Minnesota the week before last and thought I'd share a pic of this jem......Brand new in the box. Even came with a very rare file! Fully adjustable. This might just be the ticket I need to get my square filing up to par! Before anyone asks, it is not for sale!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

WOW. That stinks. Tomorrow Im receiving my first square chisel chain with my saw. I never knew they made the file jig with sqaure chisel provisions. Too bad they are so rare.

You've been shown the correct way.... now sell the training wheels to one of these guys. :cheers:

Or send it to me.

Fred

You've been shown the correct way.... now sell the training wheels to one of these guys. :cheers:

Or send it to me.

Fred

Thanks for the offer.

I'll hang on to it. BTW, who showed me the correct way? I learned a tip here and a tip there, but most of my learning came from destroying chains. hopefully this will keep me somewhat consistent.

Down in houston for a little training. Might be heading to North Dakota when I get back. Do they have trees in ND? If so there might be some more saw dealers! lol

Last edited:
FYI, We are working with a Swedish company on a new Chisel bit filing guide. It uses the Vallorbe 2270-6 file instead of the goofy. We hope it becomes a reality later this year. They already have one built for the goofy file and we have chains here that were sharpened on both sharpeners and clearly the 2270-6 file does a better job for speed cutting.

The chains filed with a goofy file may stay sharp a little longer and a better application for a weekend warrior. More info as we get it.

a square chain filing jig is sorely needed!

didn't know granberg made a square cut jig... now where can we all get one?

FYI, We are working with a Swedish company on a new Chisel bit filing guide. It uses the Vallorbe 2270-6 file instead of the goofy. We hope it becomes a reality later this year. They already have one built for the goofy file and we have chains here that were sharpened on both sharpeners and clearly the 2270-6 file does a better job for speed cutting.

The chains filed with a goofy file may stay sharp a little longer and a better application for a weekend warrior. More info as we get it.

The same place you get Stihl's square grind attachment.

yup, locked away in some dealers stash of stuff that won't be discovered for a very long time.

I've been looking every chance I get, for the lat couple of years. Even ran into a ton of dealers that had old NOS stuff out the wahzoo, but nothing cool like this. Something like this cost a few measely dollars back then, but is well worth much more to the right guy, like myself.

046, I posted the pics of the part numbers, so people can start looking on ebay and whatnot

any file n joint can be made too work. i worked as faller on a fire crew and we used a stanard file n joint for round and square. the big problem we had was every one useing it thought they knew how too use and no they never ever even looked at the instruction sheet:dizzy: i gave up useing square ground chain after that to much arguing about how too sharpen it. round ground is a lot easier too teach probys how too hand file then square:confused: i still sneek out and play with a couple of loops of square ground full chisel when i aint workin for someboby that is a wantabe logger:) just feel guilty if my real saws kick their junky wanbe saw arssez:jawdrop: :censored: :chainsaw:

:cheers:

I don't think any FnJ will work. I have one for round chain and it will not accept a chisel bit file. It will accept one of the triangle files, but you can't adjust the propper angles without modifying the chassis of the FnJ

Thanks for the offer.

I'll hang on to it. BTW, who showed me the correct way? I learned a tip here and a tip there, but most of my learning came from destroying chains. hopefully this will keep me somewhat consistent.

I was talking about none other than The Man. Dennis Cahoon.

I still need to make one of his jigs myself.

Fred

It's a nice filing guide I looked at some chains filed with the guide and they look nice :)

It's a nice filing guide I looked at some chains filed with the guide and they look nice :)

So have I, looks good, very consistant, like it was done with a machine. Can't wait to have one of the guides in my hands and see if I can do a chain with it that well.

Back