Granberg Chisel Bit File-N-Joint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think any FnJ will work. I have one for round chain and it will not accept a chisel bit file. It will accept one of the triangle files, but you can't adjust the propper angles without modifying the chassis of the FnJ

I agree, though I dont know what all models are out there. I bumped the other thread that has some pictures I took in Post # 14 that show the flat style chisel bit file would not fit. Possibly the tri style might but still the problem of getting enough angle.

FYI, We are working with a Swedish company on a new Chisel bit filing guide. It uses the Vallorbe 2270-6 file instead of the goofy. We hope it becomes a reality later this year. They already have one built for the goofy file and we have chains here that were sharpened on both sharpeners and clearly the 2270-6 file does a better job for speed cutting.

The chains filed with a goofy file may stay sharp a little longer and a better application for a weekend warrior. More info as we get it.

Ill take one!

I don't think any FnJ will work. I have one for round chain and it will not accept a chisel bit file. It will accept one of the triangle files, but you can't adjust the propper angles without modifying the chassis of the FnJ

Granberg made one, but Im not telling you the name of it till uwharrie :clap: sends me one.

Here is the previous model for doing semi chisel chain with the round edged flat goofy file. I am only guessing that the model for doing square filed chisel bit will be a modification of this with the rollers being angled differently and placed lower and further back on the body of the jig to give more down and back angle to the file. The jig fastens to the bar with a single set screw and pulling out the handle loop allows you to move the chain ahead. the prongs of the handle lock behind the rear of the cutter and keep the chain from moving back with file pressure. this jig was in the hundred dollar range. What the new model will be exactly we will have to wait and see.:chainsaw:

It's my understanding their will be several different models offered a goofy, hardwood, softwood maybe more, also a chain manufacturer is now looking to get in on the deal and offer a chain designed to go with the guide. As I have said before their is a language barrier, thich redneck vs somthing forien. so I could be way off on this.

In the mean time I'm having lots of fun trying to learn it free handed!

Make adapters

After seeing the granberg it occured to me that someting I have been thinking about would work.Made up 2 bushings to fit the end of the 6 sided file and turned down the ends to fit file and joint.Trying to figure out all the proper angles now.Any help?Will post pictures as soon as new computer arives.
Russ

corrections ... pictures in link shows a file n joint #G-106B

G-107 is the square cut version of file n joint

managed to get a stihl bar mounted jig working OK for square filing. worked well in one direction, but was marginal for other.

you're asking jig to file at angles it was not designed for.

yep it worked... but was not worth the amount of trouble to use.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=532224&postcount=37

Reviving this thread form the dead...anybody still out there??? I have an original G-107 that I bought from Granberg in the 70's. In the 80's when I contacted them, they had sold out all the existing models. I'm still limping along with it, but it needs severe help. I can't believe that no one foreign or domestic has made another jig to replace this old one.:eek: If I knew a machinist versed in making small parts, it would be easy to replicate. The whole thing is cheap pot metal to start with and an accident waiting to happen, breakage-wise. It's a great design and no doubt the steel prototype was a fantastic little machine....good enough that Granberg made the cheap pot metal one as its imitator.

I would think enough of us are still using chisel chain and this would be a lucrative venture for someone of machinist skills. Hell, I'd pay between $100-$200 for this little jig replicated in steel or decent alloy. You just wouldn't believe what I've had to do to make mine work over the yrs...I one time even threw the thing in the trash...but I can't find anything to replace for field work.

Kevin

Reviving this thread form the dead...anybody still out there??? I have an original G-107 that I bought from Granberg in the 70's. In the 80's when I contacted them, they had sold out all the existing models. I'm still limping along with it, but it needs severe help. I can't believe that no one foreign or domestic has made another jig to replace this old one.:eek: If I knew a machinist versed in making small parts, it would be easy to replicate. The whole thing is cheap pot metal to start with and an accident waiting to happen, breakage-wise. It's a great design and no doubt the steel prototype was a fantastic little machine....good enough that Granberg made the cheap pot metal one as its imitator.

I would think enough of us are still using chisel chain and this would be a lucrative venture for someone of machinist skills. Hell, I'd pay between $100-$200 for this little jig replicated in steel or decent alloy. You just wouldn't believe what I've had to do to make mine work over the yrs...I one time even threw the thing in the trash...but I can't find anything to replace for field work.

Kevin
Contact Homelite 410 that makes the file vises.

Kevin

Pics of your metallic pot in action filing square ground or...you know the drill..it didn't happen.

Have you never seen a Granberg G-107? I have to use clamps and cut brass bushings in the ends, because the inserts are long gone. So...I'm showing you a cobbled up G-107, is that what you want to see?

Kevin

No I haven't. But if you post some pics, there are machinists here who might be up to the challenge, especially if it involved some buckeroonies. And there might be other guys who might want a rig to mo bettah hand file square ground. Moah buckeroonies.

OK...I'm doing my last saw right now...I'll take some pics of the unit in my hand and then some pics of it at work. Bear in mind, the OE hash-marked file inserts are long gone and I improvised. They let you set the last angle; the actual tilt of the file in the jig...if I remember something like 8-10 degrees. The other two angles I personally use are 20 & 35 degrees and I'll try to pic there what I'm talking about. I have somewhere, the old Granberg directions for the jig...very tattered but mostly readable on yellow factory paper. I've been trying to find those for a very long time. Oh yeah and the cutter stop is long gone...so I use even pressure and count. The G-106B's base part looks much the same today and maybe we could make one of those work by modifying the G-106B hand piece.

My cell phone lens is scratched because it's a work phone, so the pics will be cloudy....to say the least. I agree...a small part's machinist could easily make this thing whole again and make a prototype from it.

Kevin

Pics would be great.

I would pay $500 for a good square file guide/vise combo if you are listening homelite410 :)

0205141603.jpg 0205141603a.jpg 0205141604.jpg 0205141605.jpg 0205141606.jpg 0205141606a.jpg 0205141609.jpg 0205141612.jpg 0205141612a.jpg Ask and you shall receive. OK, the first pic shows you the angles I use....don't know if you can really make them out; 20 & 35 degrees....pretty aggressive for chisel, but works well on large timber and I just got used to it. Third & fifth pic show you the jury rigging I had to do with the file after the original inserts broke into pieces. I made a permanent mark with red paint at the angle I wanted for the file itself...something like 8-10 degrees maybe. It would help if I could find the old literature to explain it better. In the seventh pic, the cutter stop is missing...this was a spring loaded POS, that wasn't supposed to move, but did and threw off your cutter length equalization. I think I just got mad and pitched it. It looks much the same on the present G-106B...but don't have one of those in my hand. The last two pics show you to what length I go to, to still use this jig. On pic six, if you look closely, you'll see some Allen screws into the base unit...that was after paying somebody to weld part of it, but couldn't get inside where the bar fits to do it proper. Basically, I can't clamp it anymore by itself....the old base just flares out. So I use those two clamps when on the bar and they work great, but limit your hand piece movement a bit.

All in all while I use this I have to be aware of about seven things going on at once...anyone one of those observations/steps ignored and you have to start over. It would be hell teaching some newbie all the steps...even with the directions I had some 40yrs ago, I labored over what were the best angles and methods to use. I would guess that Granberg dropped this model for two reason; it's complicated to set & understand all the angles and given that this jig went into the field, it got broken a lot because of the cheap parts.

Kevin

If the Granberg G-106B has the identical base, then we have a walk in the park because all that's needed would be a couple of machined end units for the chisel, some inserts with hash marks and you're good to go. You could make a stronger prototype from the G-106B's base too. If we get that far, I'll buy the G-106B to see if it will work...hate to, but I really need another working jig. To me, buying another Granberg, is just more pot metal junk....maybe even worse than they were 40 yrs ago.

Kevin

Back