Has anyone used the Oregon 511A and the 511AX?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Is there a significant enough difference between the 511A and the 511AX that I should hold out for one or the other?
Thinking about getting a different grinder (for my own usage) and the Oregons are about the only thing in my price range. (used)
I looked at some old threads but haven't really found the info I'm seeking.
I do the majority of my sharpening by file but especially on chisel, it's helpful to have a grinder to get things cutting again. I also receive a lot of chains on saws I acquire that are in poor condition and I don't want to spend the time that would be required to fix them with a file.

I have a HF grinder I use now with some success but know there's better options (all of them, lol)

I have a lead on a 511A but don't know if I should "settle" for that or if it's a decent option.
Thanks

Volume wise, I would be sharpening less than 100 chains per year. Probably about 50 to 60 or so. Also, I have a variety sizes so the ability to sharpen everything from .404 down to 3/8 Picco would be good. (and gauges from .043 to .063)

Input from those that have actually used both models would be helpful for comparison.

511a is what is in my shop. not the nicest or fastest but does a good job and it has been used daily for the last 3-4 yrs without a problem.

Well, I want to know if the later AX version is significantly superior to the 511A? Or are the differences minor enough that I should price shop and not be as concerned with the model variations?

The price of the Speed Sharp star has come down $110 new in the last couple years. I don't know how anybody could not be happy with one of them. I dunno, for sure but isn't the Oregon version just a rebranded tecomec? Whatever ya do, fop, get the one with the manual clamp. Did I mention I love my Speed Sharp? I do the down angles on Oregon chain. Just luv the dang thing and am also a hardcore filer.

The 511A is no longer available, so you would have to buy a used one. The Oregon 510 does not allow you to do the 'down' angles.

Bailey's currently has their Speed Sharp grinder on sale. It will be less expensive. The difference between that one and Oregon 511AX, is that it does not have the wheel wear feature.

'Better' is a matter of preference, just like between brands and models of saws. The 511AX claims to have a self-centering vice, and can do chains up to 3/4 pitch. Centering the vise on the 511A is manual.

What is nice about the parallel-closing vise on the 511AX, is that it holds multiple drive links at the same time, instead of pinching only one with the cam. This means that rakers, and bumpers on low kickback chain, are less likely to rise up when grinding.

I would choose the 511AX if they were side-by-side and the same price. But both will do a good job if you get a good deal on one or the other. But, just like saws, other guys would choose the older model, as a matter of preference.

Philbert

I don't know how anybody could not be happy with one of them. I dunno, for sure but isn't the Oregon version just a rebranded tecomec?

Yes it is. Jolly grinders are also made by Tecomec in Italy.

What is nice about the parallel-closing vise on the 511AX, is that it holds multiple drive links at the same time, instead of pinching only one with the cam. This means that rakers, and bumpers on low kickback chain, are less likely to rise up when grinding.

Philbert

That is actually a more important feature than most people realise! It can also affect grinding cutters occasionally too, especially if the heel of the tiestraps have a bit of wear.

You guys are making me want to buy a 511ax. Hadn't ever really looked at them and was happy with my 511a but sounds like the couple minor gripes I have about are addressed with the new version

I have done numerous searches and read hundreds of posts on both the 511A and the 511AX. I haven't seen any posts however by someone that has actually owned both grinders and did a side by side analysis. It sounds like they each have their issues...

I would choose the 511AX if they were side-by-side and the same price. But both will do a good job if you get a good deal on one or the other. But, just like saws, other guys would choose the older model, as a matter of preference.

Philbert

I agree and will simplify:

The 511AX is much better due to the superior vice.

The 510 and Tecomec clones are a better value due to being substantially cheaper, but have the cam actuated vice which is inferior, but does an OK job.

I had a cheap knock off that i replaced with an 511 AX from Baillys. I love it .

I started out with a NT grinder, it worked.

From there I upgraded to a 510 Silvey, that grinder was impressive. Needless to say, I learned how to file by hand and couldn't see the point of having a $700 grinder collecting dust, so I sold it.

Recently I started doing allot more cutting, and a opportunity came to do chain grinding locally.

I was debating on picking up the NT one again, the 510a or 511AX. I picked up the AX from Weedeaterman. I'm glad I did. It's not a 510, but it's also half the price, and there is no comparing it to the NT one.

A have a early 511A with no light that I'm very happy with. I bought it from Definitive Dave a couple years ago. Someone before Dave had declared it worn out and relegated it to raker duty.
I elected to put a new Tecomec vice assembly on it. I could have gone with the early "AX" type vice for $5 more but elected to stay with the "A" type vice.
The motor runs smooth and I use a Borazon wheel. The vice now runs true left to right.

There was a thread on "AS" at the time where a high use guy had a couple worn out "AX" vice assemblies and going through all the assembly pictures and what was wearing out and him trying to get the correct repair parts and eventually having to use improvised shims, I decided the "AX" with its plastic bushings and wear points was not as good as a 511A vice for long term use.

If you are only doing 50-60 chains a year, wear on a 511AX vice is probably not a worthwhile consideration?

I managed to get my hands on a Silvey 510 right before they turned to pumpkins and I really like it, way better than any of the others. One big plus with the Silvey is that it uses a bigger wheel and a lower RPM, so it's way harder to burn cutters. Also, the "faultless" pawl stop is way faster and easier to use than any cam adjuster I've seen. If I had to downgrade, though, I'd go with the 511AX for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back