Has anyone used the Oregon 511A and the 511AX?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got three 511A's on my bench. Purchase all three off Craigslist for less than one would cost new.
Overkill for sure, but it is convenient for sharpening different size chains.

I'm that guy. Had two AX grinders and four tables. Plastic shims wear quickly and vise center shaft bushings fail. Yes, I do 30-60 chains a week but I find that no excuse. Also keep in mind, the plastic shims can not be ordered. Don't even show up in the IPL.

Find a good used "A"

there was a
thread on "AS" at the time where a high use guy had a couple worn out "AX" vice assemblies and going through all the assembly pictures and what was wearing out and him trying to get the correct repair parts and eventually having to use improvised shims, I decided the "AX" with its plastic bushings and wear points was not as good as a 511A vice for long term use.

I worked with mweba on that and got the shims from Oregon customer service. It is a simple wear part. He was doing hundreds of chains.

I have also had wear on my 511A after moderate use.

Philbert
image.jpg

I never got shims just bushing. Shims are not available and according to Oregon, they do not exist (because they are not in the IPL).

The Oregon 511AX showed up this morning shortly after I did and it's sitting on my dining table. I also went to the P.O. and picked up 9 days worth of mail which had a bunch of other chainsaw related parts so I'm like a kid in a candy store and trying to decide where to begin!?
I also need to spin up a 28" chain for Warpig6 who's going to try on a 28" bar for his MS440 and see what he thinks of that set up.

I have a 511a that I have always liked and a Speed Sharp Automatic with hydraulic assist that I tend to like a little better. Anyone know how the Speed sharp compares with the Oregon 511ax? Somebody once told me that they are practically the same machine, but I'm not sure. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the hijax. I posted a while ago in the want ads for a 511AX vice base. Mine is broken. Still works but have to hold it just right.

So, anyone have a worn out vice or just the base? It's the part that sits under the very bottom part in the pic below.

Attachments

• Tecomec_table_parts.jpg
    Tecomec_table_parts.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back