Heiss heater review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
1- the door is a joke....they just came out with a new one tho

2-no installation instructions....im a plumber/heating contractor so it wasnt difficult for me

3- the outside of the unit has spiderweb cracks all over it...the same day i fired it it started to crack...i dont think it will affect the way the unit works....im not a picky person so i dont care...im gonna put cultured stone on the exterior any ways...got that idea off there web site

4-the snap on aqua stat is junk and should be upgraded to a probe type not very accurate....

5- its only a 3/4" coil....i dont think it affects the way it works

6-the flue pipe needs to be re worked dont like the way it mounts once again i dont think it will be a issue...there also should be a electronic damper

7- its ultra heavy 4300 pounds for the mid sized unit so if you dont have the equipment then you gotta pay for delivery...i was way to busy with work to go get it so i had it delivered...for the extra cash it was worth it

8-id suggest to anybody who buys the unit to buy a extra fan...as it looks kinda cincy...but ive only had the unit a month so time will tell...

9-it would of been nice if they would of told me what type of insulated piping they were selling as i wouldnt of bought it....it consists of white foam insulation with cpvc pipe that you gotta put together not a great idea PIA to work with...i didnt use the cpvc used pex instead....

The customer service was good no complaints they are easy to work with....with what i stated above id recomend the unit to a person who is mechanicly inclined and isnt a picky person about apperance....it holds heat very well even when the fire goes out there is still plenty of heat...ive been using it for hot water and im using about 6 splits a day....when winter comes i anticipate a full load then just adding a few peices thru out the day...

im in no way bashing these people as i think its a good product and as time goes buy they will get all the bugs worked out...for the price you cant beat it....

i will add to this thread later once the heating season progresses....

Thanks for the update on your unit. I'm still on the fence myself. I like the idea of it, but know I'd change up some stuff. Do you have plans of upgrading anything up front, or are you just going to wait for things to break?

How do you like the water tank inside the house? Any surprises there?

Thanks for the update on your unit. I'm still on the fence myself. I like the idea of it, but know I'd change up some stuff. Do you have plans of upgrading anything up front, or are you just going to wait for things to break?

How do you like the water tank inside the house? Any surprises there?

im just gonna wait untill stuff breaks but i already have replacements just incase....

if the fan goes ill replace it with the same type as its already set up for it....i will upgrade the aqua stat to a probe type when i get around to it it will be easy enough....the door will also be upgraded eventully

the water tank inside is fine with me...its just a clear plastic 55 gallon drum nothing fancy which means nothing to go wrong...if i ever get bored ill insulate the tank but that aint gonna happen any time soon....

like i said for the price you cant beat it they are making upgrades which means the price is goin up its already increased 500 bucks since i got mine....

ill get some pics and post them soon...

one more thing is the pipes commin outa the boiler were all cockeyed so in order to thread adaptors on it i had to chip away at the base so i could get the pipe on...once again no big deal

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Test post

I get emails saying people have replied to this thread, but I don't see the posts?????????:monkey:

This is also a test reply. I'd like to see one of these units------keep posting. Maybe the site is overloaded, it's been acting a bit odd lately.

There is also a thread titled "new owb" from a couple of months ago. You can check that for more info. Search "heiss".

updates?

Rex

I've been looking into these boilers myself and I was wondering if you have any updates on them since the heating season has started. I see you're in Cohoctah, we live in Howell, any chance I could check yours out in action sometime? I would send you a private message with my phone number but I just signed up for this message board and I dont know how it works just yet!

Rex

I've been looking into these boilers myself and I was wondering if you have any updates on them since the heating season has started. I see you're in Cohoctah, we live in Howell, any chance I could check yours out in action sometime? I would send you a private message with my phone number but I just signed up for this message board and I dont know how it works just yet!

other than the door and some cracking on the outside of the unit im very pleased with it....for the price you cant beat it....been heating my house its 78 in here right now and its also heating my hotwater and the floor in the master bath

the cracking is to be expected....the new ones have a new door so youd probly get one of thoes....

ill PM you my number....

Last edited:
been heating my house its 78 in here right now and its also heating my hotwater and the floor in the master bath

How much wood are you using? Does it seem as efficient as they claim, and burn as clean? I see on their website they have a working demo model at their building. I figure on swinging by there when I get a chance to check it out.

How much wood are you using? Does it seem as efficient as they claim, and burn as clean? I see on their website they have a working demo model at their building. I figure on swinging by there when I get a chance to check it out.

one wheelbarrow load a day packed tight and high....still plenty of room in the chmaber for more wood

id say its pretty efficent but i dont have anything else to compare to...

its smoke/smolders when the fan isnt running...

all in all im happy with it so far

@rex , How are you liking your Heiss OWB a few years down the road? I just stumbled on Heiss' ad for these masonry OWBs on the Grand Rapids CL and started digging around for more information. Just curious how it's been working and if you have had any major problems with it. I see on Heiss' website that they are mentioning a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I purchased a model 3000 back in 2010 and I think it is great. I know of at least 6 people that have other brands that have the water jacket and the amount of wood they use is almost double what I use. I load it once a day with about 6 pcs of rounds about 18" long any where from 6 to 18" dia all ash and it lasts for 24hrs with no probs. I would defently buy another one for sure

Latest posts

Back