Hello,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarcuda

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought this house and property and Ive notice a few of the trees(oak) are kind of rotton near the base.

Is this normal? should I cut them down? I'll post some pictures of what Im talking about.

btw, the huge tree in my front yard with the small hole in it is hollow. it looks the the inside is gone and the tree has a solid 4 inch rim thats holding it up.

I need some tree schooling.

Steve

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2108473902

this big one is right in front of the house.
efe27626.jpg
efe27688.jpg

the one on imagestation with the V in it is 4' away from the house.

I had a guy come over and quote me $500 to just cut down those two trees. $375 for the big one alone. thats with me cleaning it up and no stump work.

thats kinda steep for me right now. how can I learn to cut these down without hurting something or someone.

I was thinking of getting a long rope and looping it on the branch then pulling the tree in the direction I want it to fall using my truck. then using a ladder to cut the limb thats headed towards the house. after that, then cutting the rest of the tree (using the truck again to pull it away from the house).

hazard trees

$500.00 for two hazard trees isn't steep, it's cheap. Unless you've had A LOT of chainsaw experience, DIY is a bad idea.

aarcuda said:
it's a weeks pay. its a lot for me.

i am just a homeowner, but if there's one thing i've learned on this forum is that good tree care or removeal is a craft-- just as i don't want to pay bottom line for a hack plumber to repair that system in my house, i would prefer not to hire a hack tree guy to come drop a tree on my house... if you want visuals on what hack crews will do, go look at what happened to a neighbor of mine in the thread ""Any advice on this butcher job?"" on this homeowner's forum... $500 is a lot of money for me as well, but do i want to risk the additional damage done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing? or the lawsuit if they are uninsured and they are injured on my property, so they sue me???

for me, AS has made me look at trees with a new eye... and to have more respect for skilled tree services...

I see no sign that the big one is coming down any time soon. There's no lean and even if it has some rot at the base it appears to be stable. You can practice on the small ones and let the big one stay. You might grow to like it after all.

Things that people forget to factor in is how much money would you be out if you get hurt.

For instance, if you were to cut down that tree and you got hurt. Is it worth it to you, your family, your future?

Everything has a price attached to it. So the real question is are you willing to take that chance? Is it worth it to you if you fail?

Pick and choose your battles carfully, and know when to walk away.

I am a very handy person. An absolute do-it-yourselfer. I have attempted many things that were very successful. some dangerous some not. I can rebuild a car, a motor (guess what kind of car I have), build a deck or a garage, reload ammunition, sharpen chainsaws, cook, grow food, hunt with a bow or gun, clean my own deer. etc.

I could live in the woods if I had to. I am very capable. I believe I can do this. Ive just never done it before and it really doesnt look that hard. I just want some pointers. If I know how, I can.

I know youre all concerned about my safety and I appreciate that. My family will not be around when this happens. just me, some friends and some tools.

if it hits the house, the tree service will cost me a $1000 deductable. If it kills me, my family gets lots of life insurance I get out of this rat race.

Of course, I dont want to die and thats why I'm asking for some tips. there are only 2 pages of tips here and Ive read them all. it helped somewhat.

I'm going to do this. it will either work or it will be a life lesson. I hope it works. can anyone help out now?

Well in that case I recommend an ear muff charge with a delay cap on a kicker charge. 20 minutes prep time and installation and .02 seconds from the push of the button.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

On the hollow tree search for the posts with barberchair. There is a lot of information on this with some great links. You might want to consider a lift and piecing that one down depending on how hollow it is.

Other information on tree takedown can be found by searching the site for "face cuts" or "felling". The recient wedge posting in arbor 101 has some good information.

Mike Maas said:
For a tree to be a hazard, you need two things, a defect and a target.
You have the defect, but we don't know if there's a target.
Pictures please...
For a tree to be a hazard, it must pose an unreasonable risk. For it to be a removal, there must be no other way (pruning, root invigoration, growth regulator, mulch, etc.) to lessen the risk to a level that you can accept.

Those trees have defects but not fatal ones, by what I can see. What is the diameter of the hollow one, measured at the hole?

I think the phrase "hazard tree" makes people do crazy things. Those trees are assets.

aarcuda said:
I am a very handy person. ....

I'm going to do this. it will either work or it will be a life lesson. I hope it works. can anyone help out now?

I'm the same way, BUT...

A good man knows his limitations.

Hollow trees are a very different beast. If this were a solid tree farther from your house, I'd probably tell you to go for it.

It's not. You don't start learning to fell trees by doing the most unpredictable and dangerous stuff first.

Not if you're smart.

aarcuda said:
I just bought this house and property and Ive notice a few of the trees(oak) are kind of rotton near the base.

i guess i'm finding this thread amusing because within 6 months of buying my home, i had to have the roof replaced and a new house-to-sewer line installed... i couldn't afford either of them, BUT the difference between being a renter and an owner is the privilege of paying out big bucks to maintain your property (even if you are a Renaissance Man and can do everything, you still get hit with the privilege of paying taxes...)

i am soooo glad when i arrived here with my few questions, i never entertained climbing up 25' to trim the broken branch in the pecan tree or such... if i ever do entertain doing such, i will get a ladder that is long enough, Kate Butler will hold the video camera, and capture me falling hind end over and over and over before i crash to the ground... after all, i do want to provide entertainment for you fellas... :dizzy:

Trinity Honoria said:
ii am soooo glad when i arrived here with my few questions, i never entertained climbing up 25' to trim the broken branch in the pecan tree or such... if i ever do entertain doing such, i will get a ladder that is long enough, Kate Butler will hold the video camera, and capture me falling hind end over and over and over before i crash to the ground... after all, i do want to provide entertainment for you fellas... :dizzy:

Where do we buy tickets for this show. I want to be in the front row.

Larry

video

Trinity Honoria said:
i guess i'm finding this thread amusing because within 6 months of buying my home, i had to have the roof replaced and a new house-to-sewer line installed... i couldn't afford either of them, BUT the difference between being a renter and an owner is the privilege of paying out big bucks to maintain your property (even if you are a Renaissance Man and can do everything, you still get hit with the privilege of paying taxes...)

i am soooo glad when i arrived here with my few questions, i never entertained climbing up 25' to trim the broken branch in the pecan tree or such... if i ever do entertain doing such, i will get a ladder that is long enough, Kate Butler will hold the video camera, and capture me falling hind end over and over and over before i crash to the ground... after all, i do want to provide entertainment for you fellas... :dizzy:

Gosh, Trinity, maybe we should plan this for next winter's homeward trip. So far we've done so many fun things....this could be another

Ax-man said:
Where do we buy tickets for this show. I want to be in the front row.

Larry

Kate Butler said:
Gosh, Trinity, maybe we should plan this for next winter's homeward trip. So far we've done so many fun things....this could be another

ok, i see fundraiser possibilities... let me look into this :)

perhaps the videographer i know can do the video... the last 3 videos i've done with him, i have looked good...

Kate, we'll need to Do A Plan...you can assist me in wardrobe plan, being certain the giant "landing pillow" is fully inflated... and we have a plan...

Larry, we'll come up with a role for you as well...

Back