Help identifying oak problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacon K5

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help identify what is ailing my tree - and also what kind of oak it is. The leaves look like a white or Burr oak, but it keeps it's leaves through the winter like a red oak.

This summer I've noticed about 3 areas in the tree where the leaves were a much lighter shade of green than the rest of the tree. As time goes on, the leaves in those areas seem to be yellowing and now have brown zebra stripes on them.

I've attached some pictures - anyone know what this is or how to treat it? This is a young oak that is about 8" diameter at the base.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190922_140655.jpg
    MVIMG_20190922_140655.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190922_140534.jpg
    IMG_20190922_140534.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190922_140516.jpg
    IMG_20190922_140516.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
That is almost always a nutrient deficiency that is almost always tied to high soil pH. Other root problems may also cause similar problems.

So what can I do? Is there a root treatment I can apply? Could lawn fertilizer cause this? I have very Sandy soil, so I could see the nutrients washing through the soil causing the shallow roots to starve for nutrients.

I'd start with a soil test. I've been happy with Spectrum Analytic: https://www.spectrumanalytic.com

It is pretty late in the year for a real accurate tissue nutrient sample...maybe do that next June or so?

The cheapest/simplest and probably most effective long-term thing to do is make a really wide mulch ring (no more than 3-4" deep and NOT piled against the trunk. If the soil pH is above 7, start trying to lower that. It is kinda like pushing water uphill, but soil sulfur is pretty cheap.

Snap a picture of the base of the tree. There should be a pronounced flare where the tree changes from trunk to roots. Often this is too deep and can be a culprit in inhibiting successful nutrient uptake.

Back