High Limb Rope Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to see you go to banned camp.

Thanks, I pretty sure some would not agree.
Anyway, I'm really not advocating this chain and now pulling everyone else's as no one seems to want to read the thread.
As you see, after the first 2 responses and I tested one of these it is determined that they are not real useful to those that already have access to the canopy.
I listed it here because I wanted to get the experiences of those that do this for a living.
I did a job for a family that has about a 100' white oak, a really nice tree. They have a baby that is getting to the walking age and they want to spend time in the back yard and noticed dead wood in the tree and wanted it removed. I was able to get most of it moving about within the canopy of the tree, many large branches and small as well. They wanted all of it. There was some dead wood out of reach of my pole saw and too high in the canopy to to get to it from above or with a limb walk. Thus I was seeking the help of this forum. Had 2 good responses and then the castigation started. Look, I have much less experience than most everyone here, but that doesn't mean I just give up and admit, "I can't" or that I don't know some things. I am one that believes for every system, for every method and procedure, there is a better way, for every tool and every piece of equipment, there is a better one. Most climbers on the other hand are very resistant to change and innovation, for good reason, what you do is extremely dangerous and there is safety doing what works. Example, what did it take, about 10 years to go from a Blakes hitch to a hitch climber pulley?
Ok, long story short, I really wanted some help in figuring out how to get to those "out of reach" branches.

and what did I get..............

Hear is something constructive for you, just for you Smokey. Now pay attention cause this will get very technical.
If you have a clear landing zone below the limb, take a shot line (hope you know what that is, if not, read up) and throw it over the limb. Pay attention now it gets real complicated, pull a rope over the limb using the shot line. You will need to attach the two lines together first. Tie a running bow knot, well just tie a slip knot if you can. Tighten the rope up and break off the limb. Pick up the limb, remove it from the job and go home. Oh yea, almost forgot, tell the customer you removed the dead limb, get paid, then go home. If you can not drop the limb in a safe clear landing zone just say "I can't do it" then go home. I'd try to explain how to set up running line but I dought you would ever be able to retrieve it from a tree. I just don't have that kind of time to explain it. Hope this was not to technical. Good Luck with those dead limbs.

You asked for it so it had to be done.

ROFL

So, I will keep thinking about it and one day I'll come up with solution that does not include the pathetic suggestion above.

I'm going to go climb a tree just for FUN and maybe relax in my 40' deck chair.

Thanks

He wasn't really promoting them. He just said that's where he ordered them from. It would be the same thing as you saying you bought something from a non site sponser. Not the same as promoting them.

Jeeeeez!!! you're backing me up? I think I have little tears rolling off my cheeks. Honestly thanks.
I really do enjoy this forum, all of it!

I suggest everyone to stop following him down the rabbit hole ! :hmm3grin2orange:

Heck, I hope you were not all ready to go out and buy one of those things, I have one I will be happy to mail you. It is only a little bent as I had to pull it so hard to get it unstuck from the tree.

Thanks, I pretty sure some would not agree.
Anyway, I'm really not advocating this chain and now pulling everyone else's as no one seems to want to read the thread.
As you see, after the first 2 responses and I tested one of these it is determined that they are not real useful to those that already have access to the canopy.
I listed it here because I wanted to get the experiences of those that do this for a living.
I did a job for a family that has about a 100' white oak, a really nice tree. They have a baby that is getting to the walking age and they want to spend time in the back yard and noticed dead wood in the tree and wanted it removed. I was able to get most of it moving about within the canopy of the tree, many large branches and small as well. They wanted all of it. There was some dead wood out of reach of my pole saw and too high in the canopy to to get to it from above or with a limb walk. Thus I was seeking the help of this forum. Had 2 good responses and then the castigation started. Look, I have much less experience than most everyone here, but that doesn't mean I just give up and admit, "I can't" or that I don't know some things. I am one that believes for every system, for every method and procedure, there is a better way, for every tool and every piece of equipment, there is a better one. Most climbers on the other hand are very resistant to change and innovation, for good reason, what you do is extremely dangerous and there is safety doing what works. Example, what did it take, about 10 years to go from a Blakes hitch to a hitch climber pulley?
Ok, long story short, I really wanted some help in figuring out how to get to those "out of reach" branches.

and what did I get..............

So, I will keep thinking about it and one day I'll come up with solution that does not include the pathetic suggestion above.

I'm going to go climb a tree just for FUN and maybe relax in my 40' deck chair.

Thanks

Out of reach? While climbing? If i keep my weight on my line i can walk out on next to nothing,but that come with experience you said you don't have. There are some dead people that refused to give up or say i can't.

Last edited:
Out of reach? While climbing? If i keep my weight on my line i can walk out on next to nothing,but that come with experience you said you don't have. There are some dead people that refused to give up or say i can't.

I think I understand that, and it is amazing to watch you guys do that. I was at the Portland Oregon competition and watched some pretty extreme limb walks. Enjoyed the trade show, competition and conference. Had a chance to spend some time talking with Joe Harris. With your experience and ability I am sure you can get almost everything. Maybe I will get a picture of the particular tree and see what you think. I am able to use my 80' motion lanyard DdRT and move from tree to tree (so far up to 25 feet away) and to get out on the limbs using the same method but this assumes I have something above to support my 200 pounds. Anyway, the limb walk requires support from above and that is what I am addressing, the high and dangerous to reach stuff.

bowline is not only a much better knot but used for a different application. tossed a rope once cause we over loaded the alpine. if their is going to be a lot of stress on the bowline you make it a double bowline or yosemite bowline. lots of guys on here not afraid to share their opinion whether it offends someone or not. im sure youve come to realize that already ;) taker easy welcome to AS haha

bowline is not only a much better knot but used for a different application. tossed a rope once cause we over loaded the alpine. if their is going to be a lot of stress on the bowline you make it a double bowline or yosemite bowline. lots of guys on here not afraid to share their opinion whether it offends someone or not. im sure youve come to realize that already ;) taker easy welcome to AS haha

Thanks and I agree. One of the great things about the Bowline is its flexibility and variations. I was taught the figure 8 or bowline for the lifeline attachment, but later learned that it does have a reputation of rolling out and does not cinch as is required to keep your carabiner from getting sideways.

Last edited:

I generally access the tree with a 200' 7/16 HTP kernmantle, it is long enough that I feel more comfortable sending up a butterfly. It is easy to retrieve plus depending on the situation I may choose to anchor it to the base of the tree. But I understand what you are saying. I noticed at the ISA competition, they used a butterfly when anchoring for the foot lock.
Side note, my SK-2 rope wrench is due to arrive tomorrow and can't wait to give it a try.

how do it do dat........

Does anyone know who invented the method to get the ringed friction saver into the tree.
I will bet you that guy can figure out how to get the really high deadwood out of the tree.
Every time I do that, I think to myself.........what just happened.......

400_arfs-4.jpg

Above image linked to sherrilltree.com, proud sponsor of Arborsite......(I think)

I really like everyone's suggestion about the knots they use and hope no one objects (they probably will but why should I start caring now, right?) but I will start a new thread in that regard.

Sorry guys but this is it for me on Smokey the ass.
First off I'd like to congratulate the moderators fine job for letting this be posted in a pro tree forum :clap:. Second if you have so much time on your hands grab a saw and go drop that dead stick with that clown like ass-hole sitting atop it in his jack-rack.
Maybe a few will like this
Smokey something you'll never get (common sense required) the gut busting fun these guys are having at your expense so go wrap your pull chain or is that chain pull oh no that would be JERK-OFF around your neck and do us all a HUGE favor...

Sorry guys but this is it for me on Smokey the ass.
First off I'd like to congratulate the moderators fine job for letting this be posted in a pro tree forum :clap:. Second if …… and do us all a HUGE favor...

I read your post.
I wish you well.

Last edited:
I like the wire saw for training young trees with tight crotches, does very little to no collateral damage. Chain one could work well in similar situation especially when a plunge cut with a chainsaw or using a handsaw could cause more collateral damage.
Anyone try it?

Latest posts

Back