Homelite XL - Worth the time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevoo_11

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just joined, and I already understand how ubiquitous conversation of these little Homelites is, so I apologize. That said, I can get my hands on a homelite xl for about $10-20 that is supposed to be functional EXCEPT the bulb on the fuel cap is split. I've done some research on this wonderful site and I guess replacing the bulb is pretty easy and straight forward. I typically try to make old things work again, but I'm just wondering if you guys think it's at all worth it to even mess with.

I am no expert, and I have never had an XL (but I sure would like to find a cheap XL2), but personally, for just $10, I'd jump on that! Even if it is total melted garbage, I've thrown away more money than that on a bad hamburger. And if you can actually pull the exhaust to look at the piston and feel it turn over before you buy - so much the better.

Kevoo 11
Welcome
Years ago around my area almost any one that cut a little wood had one. I have had several gave to me over the years that had set and wouldn't run I repaired them and resold them. Good little saw if it looks good and good compression and your handy you can't go wrong for 10 bucks. Got a buddy that still runs one he bought new.

Thanks guys....I'm glad you all took the time to respond. I'd like to think I'm handy, but unless it's a Jeep I haven't had much experience. I feel ashamed that I'm an arborist without a saw, so I can dicker with this until it runs.

Yeah, the XL2 is virtually the identical saw as my Super-2, which I love (just with a slightly smaller engine) - that is why I would like to find one with a short bar for a good price. It is really an outstanding saw for the light work, and it ain't got no stinkin' plastic!

I have an older gent, in his late 70`s now that brings me his Super two every other year to have me go over it and basically keep it running well. He still cuts up 5 cord of firewood with it each season, he gets his wood dropped off in 8' lengths and can take his time cutting just what he feels like each day. Certainly not a fast way to cut up wood but he won`t entertain the thought of using a bigger better suited saw for fire wooding.

An old guy I used to rent some farm ground from was in his late 80's and still was running a couple Homelite Super 2's and a 903. I would service them out for him. He hadn't burned wood in fifty years but was still cutting and cleaning up his pasture. He would work at it all winter into early spring. I would go over in the spring with the skid loader and grapple and pile and burn the brush for him and he would give me the wood he had blocked up usually around 10 cord after I got it all split up. He had kids that were semi retired and would go south for the winter. He would always say I got work to do this winter I don't have time to go south. He was 98 when we buried him and he died at home. That cutting wood keep him in shape.

I have one of these to go over this winter, don`t know what`s its going to need but its been sitting with old stale gas in it.

$_59.JPG

I bought an XL2 automatic a couple of months ago. I like the long top handle and the 2 triggers on the XL2.

It didn't run, but it had almost all the paint, the original stainless looking bar in real good condition, and a good chain. And the price was plenty right.

Took me not too long to get it running without spending a dime. It starts easy and is a really sweet little saw and looks great on the shelf.
Smokes a little though. Think it needs a new duckbill maybe.

I like it a lot, even though I don't use it as much as I should. Probably never sell it, unless it was to a relative that needed it more than I do.

There's a pic in this thread.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/garage-art.325460/

I got my father in laws super xl that was on the fire engine he rode for many years. He got it free when they upgraded and passed to me when he retired. Still has the engine company stenciled on the side.

It's the personal stories like the one above that allows the saga of vintage saws to live on. Soon there might be a generation that won't even understand what real work is.
I know in my area its getting that way I don't see the next generation after me out cleaning up the pastures in the winter and helping there old landlords. If it can't be done from a seat they are not interested in doing it. As time goes on there are less and less people farming.

I was able to get this old baby (XL 10045A) running last year. I was told it was close to 50 years old. It needed a new fuel line and a couple of grommets that I made in the shop using old Stihl parts. Today it runs very well:
View attachment 689805

They were once the most prolific saws in this area, fire wooders and loggers alike ran them til death. I know more of them went into the scrap bin here than any other make of saw, they often got picked to the bone for good parts to keep others running. Some forestry business had piles of hundreds of used up XL12 and Super XL`s at their mills and business sites. They surely delivered good value for their money during their time.

They were once the most prolific saws in this area, fire wooders and loggers alike ran them til death. I know more of them went into the scrap bin here than any other make of saw, they often got picked to the bone for good parts to keep others running. Some forestry business had piles of hundreds of used up XL12 and Super XL`s at their mills and business sites. They surely delivered good value for their money during their time.
I recall back in '78 that a friend of mine had one. I was cutting with my new Mac Timberbear and he had one of these Homies. I was rather impressed with it. However, I never quite understood why they had that nose guard on board the bar tip. Seems like it would always get in the way of large felling, bucking, noodling, etc.

I took my FIL to a local dealer here in 73 to buy the first xl12 that came into our family circle, he logged for local to him saw mills and a saw would last him about 3 years of fairly steady running. He had 35 of them when he retired from logging and forestry work in the late 90`s, all of the being Homelites, he never lost much cut time running them.

Back