Homelite XL - Worth the time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall back in '78 that a friend of mine had one. I was cutting with my new Mac Timberbear and he had one of these Homies. I was rather impressed with it. However, I never quite understood why they had that nose guard on board the bar tip. Seems like it would always get in the way of large felling, bucking, noodling, etc.
I only seen those tips on new on the store/dealer shelves, they came off as soon as the saw left the store. I have yet to see anyone cutting with one still on the bar.

This has turned into one of my favorite threads. I am proud to say I own a xl. So my story for my homelite's is not that grand. A gentleman wanted a new carb installed on a ms 250c. I did the carb and it ran terribly. I next did a pressure test and found leaking crank seals. I explained to him that usually if the seals go out there sometimes is a chance about other damage. He is a C.O.A.T cheapest of all times and offered up 2 homelite's 2 pioneers and a stihl 015l if I would fix his 250c. That's how I got mine. Not as cool of a vintage saga story.

I only seen those tips on new on the store/dealer shelves, they came off as soon as the saw left the store. I have yet to see anyone cutting with one still on the bar.
The safe-T tip is easy to pop off in about 15 seconds with just one small bolt. I leave mine on the Super-2 almost all the time because I only use that saw for limbing and brush cleanup. In those situations it never gets in the way, and it DOES provide some protection against kickback for hidden limbs behind your target (especially when using the top handle one-handed on the front trigger), as well as great protection against accidental dirt contact.

I am very happy I have it for the little Homelite, but I doubt I will ever use the one that came with my Echo CS-590.

Dang, it seems that I've struck on a bit of nostalgia! I'm gonna pick the little bugger up on Friday, but we're doing xmas with my folks on Saturday so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get into it. My dad's got a real deal workshop so I may just bring it along and if I get saturated with holiday cheer hide out there. I stopped into Menards hoping primer bulbs were 1 size fits all, but it doesn't appear that's the case. Anyone know a part number or size? I was hoping to have as many of the pieces I may need handy. So far I've got some 3/32 fuel line, Epoxy, and a multitude of anti-gunk sprays and potions that I use on engines. What do you guys keep on hand to work on these small engines?

I just joined, and I already understand how ubiquitous conversation of these little Homelites is, so I apologize. That said, I can get my hands on a homelite xl for about $10-20 that is supposed to be functional EXCEPT the bulb on the fuel cap is split. I've done some research on this wonderful site and I guess replacing the bulb is pretty easy and straight forward. I typically try to make old things work again, but I'm just wondering if you guys think it's at all worth it to even mess with.

I'd fix it up if you can.

First saw I ever ran was an XL 101.
It was my Dad's saw. He'd stopped logging and went to work in the coal mines, so he sold all his big McCullochs and bought a little Homelite XL 101 for home use.

I remember staring at that shiny blue saw and wanting to run it so bad, but I was only about 8 years old.
A big branch had broken out of a cherry tree in the yard and was needing cut up. After some begging and promising I'd be careful, my Dad said I could go ahead and cut it up.
He had to start it up for me, because I couldn't even crank it! I still remember that day and the sound of that saw :chainsaw: but can't remember what i had for breakfast yesterday.

Loved that little saw and did a lot of cutting with it growing up. Not sure what cc or HP that saw even was, but it seemed to cut pretty dang good!

I've got over 25 of the XL12 series
And a dozen XL1
and a pile of the top handles.
Every time i pick up a pile of saws they are always there,and i can't just scrap them.It's a sickness.
One day i will make a homelite pole out of them if i have nothing better to do.

How many hundreds more would you like to have for your collection/....LOL

Got an XL2 and a Super 2. Great little saws for light work, especially when you want a saw you can use with one hand. Get frustrated with carbs that don't have an adjustable high speed screw. Still prefer my Mini Macs.

For $10-20 i'd pick it up. I just recently picked one up a few months ago for $15, came with 3 chains and a nice carrying case. It wasn't running. I pulled the carb, cleaned it all out, put it back in and got it running and tuned up. It sure does rev up real nice and cuts wood real nice too once I put the sharpest chain on it. Real easy saw to work on. I had the XL textron 14" model.

For $10-20 i'd pick it up. I just recently picked one up a few months ago for $15, came with 3 chains and a nice carrying case. It wasn't running. I pulled the carb, cleaned it all out, put it back in and got it running and tuned up. It sure does rev up real nice and cuts wood real nice too once I put the sharpest chain on it. Real easy saw to work on. I had the XL textron 14" model.

When you say you cleaned out the carb, did you just use parts cleaner spray? Or some type of solvent bath? I've used evapo-rust for all kinds of vehicle parts, but I'd imagine gunk, not rust, is the biggest problem in the little carbs.

When you say you cleaned out the carb, did you just use parts cleaner spray? Or some type of solvent bath? I've used evapo-rust for all kinds of vehicle parts, but I'd imagine gunk, not rust, is the biggest problem in the little carbs.

Once you get it, pull the carb off the cylinder and carefully disassemble the carb covers. Take careful note not to damage the gaskets otherwise you'll be buying a new carb or kit off eBay (cheap). then spray it all down real well and then re-assemble. At least for me that was good enough. There are several videos on youtube that cover the saw disassembly as well as carburetor tuning when you get to that point.

Picked it up with a bottle of bar oil, some 2 cycle, a spare chain, and the saw for 20 bucks. Took it up, replaced the primer bulb...which was MUCH easier than I figured it would be, new plug, some parts cleaner in the guts, liberal dose of compressed air...and she started on the second pull. Don't know if it oils well yet, I'll have to wait until sunday to figure that out.

Pics are before I did anything. Looks pretty similar now, just slightly cleaner.

Attachments

• 20181214_155254.jpg
    20181214_155254.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20181214_155259.jpg
    20181214_155259.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
This is a cool thread. My first experience and memories of chainsaws was of dads little XL. It met its end when I got old enough to be curious about how machines work and took it apart. Obviously being a twelve year old I lost parts. I still remember the day he unceremoniously picked it up off the bench and tossed it in the trash :(

Latest posts

Back