How long before wood is seasons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with our mid summer storm that left many a green tree to be firewood, blocked and thrown into a pile to season. today was a good time to test the weathered results of mother natures warmth on the green oak . split open a 1/2 cord this evening an checked out the moisture content to be 24.7 common on a 12" round split in half! with 20% being the acceptable m.c. for this years burning it's looking like fair game with a few weeks of sun and air time! so to answer the question of the op, it is only a matter of time and the right seasoning to cure the wood for eating!! ?? or is it heating??? mid july to early November I wood guess to say 5 months will do.

You have no friggin' clue what I like and don't like... you only have your opinion (which is only yours).

Dude you have made your likes and dislikes and opinions VERY open for ALL to read!
Our "opinion" as you put it, is based on YOUR "opinion" being thrown at EVERYONE about EVERYTHING!
Which is always backed by the best wikipedia has to offer...

I stated this a long time ago but I will repeat in a short version.
Ok so a cheap MM isn't accurate. SO WHAT... If my innaccurate MM reads 32% when the hunk of elm is actually at 18% and burns good then I know my desired goal for elm is 32% Why in hell would I care if it's actually not dead on with a high dollar calibrated for species gizmo? My cheapo gadget says my oak is at 16% but yet it spits, smokes, and don't burn. Well duh... It just means I need to be lower than 16%. When my oak burns good then I know what reading I need to look for out of oak..
It's like putting giant tires on your truck. Your speedo will be innaccurate but once you figure out where actual 55mph is you'll be golden. (at any temp)
We're not building ****in pianos here...

Pianos burn really well. Especially steinways..... I think Steinway might test the wood with a MM before they build the piano. Its an effort to ensure a good burn when you get it home and scrap the brass and burn the wood. Dont burn the painted stuff in a cat stove though, screws up the cat.

Pianos burn really well. Especially steinways..... I think Steinway might test the wood with a MM before they build the piano. Its an effort to ensure a good burn when you get it home and scrap the brass and burn the wood. Dont burn the painted stuff in a cat stove though, screws up the cat.
yeah they do! I ordered 14 Steinways, 3 grands and a baby grand, for this winter...the OPB (outdoor piano burner) heats the house great....I load whole pianos in with the loader and pull the scrap metal out one a month...
:rock::rock::rock::rock:

wish I would have ordered a couple more baby grands though...they really help fill the firebox on that OPB to get a couple days extra burn time for when we are away during the holidays

OPBs are nice, my Blaze king can only handle one of these at a time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ste...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$_1.JPG

Which is always backed by the best wikipedia has to offer...
Just because my head is full of what my wife calls "useless information" does not give you justification to make that sort of accusation without something to "back" it.

I don't read Wikipedia, I find it politically and ideologically bias... but I occasionally use the reference lists when looking for something specific.
I've posted links to "back" my comments hundreds, maybe thousands of times, I don't remember ever posting a link to Wikipedia... in fact I can guarantee I never have (except maybe to point out how it is incorrect). I use what is refereed to as "deep web" or "invisible web" search engines (actually they're called "crawlers" or "spiders"). Search engines such as Google search the surface of the web (maybe 10-20% of what's out there)... spiders use the reference links contained in surface links to search, then go further by using the links contained in them, then go further by using the links contained in them, etc., etc., etc.

It ain't as easy as just typing in a set of search words in a free, open search engine... but it will reveal near unlimited information.
Here's a (Google) link to get you started. It may call itself the "ultimate guide", but it ain't... it barely scratches the surface. However it will begin to unlock some really neat stuff... where you take it from there is only limited by your imagination (and your ability to outsmart computer technology to find back doors).

http://oedb.org/ilibrarian/invisible-web/

Latest posts

Back