How long do you dry your firewood before burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long do you dry your firewood before burning?

• Total voters
I am at 4 years, but as each year goes by the number goes up. Can you be to dry? Some around here say yes.

Just curious how long you dry (or "season") your firewood before burning? I'm looking for what you do, not how long you think wood should dry for.

I normally give it at least one summer to dry.

And go!

Guess you wanna start a fight with hearth forum ehhh? There are so many variables whose to say?
We got to categorize this for each individual wood and what state it is in. WTF is a moisture meter anyway?

We been doing this for forty plus years now..............

Ash, walnut, soft maples, poplars, cherries can be 3-6 months after CSS.
Oaks, hard Maples, hickories need at least 6 months after CSS.
Locust, Mulberry, Hedge Osage need at least 18 - 24 months after CSS.

I give this list of wood cause this is what I burn the majority off.

This is my opinion, I state that so you hard core MF's who know everything about heat and hearth can laugh at me, and that is fine.......it is NOT fact.......just my opinion.

Both of my chimneys are 18 x 32 inches stainless steel lined and I have only cleaned them about every 5- 8 years, never no crude and no fires as of yet. My garage has an 8" chimney stainless steel and it has never been cleaned, doesn't need it, yep never!
Now sure as shiiittt as I say this I'll prolly have a fire.....THANKS

Most of my wood is purchased in log length. The shortest amount of time I'll go is logs cut down mid/end of winter, blocked an split by May and burnt that fall. However, I have about 2/3 of next years wood in log length from last Feb 2014 purchase. That should be nice an dry. Will have that cut and split by June. Going to cut and split the fresh logs I just got first to give them the best chance to dry out. I plan on buying a blaze king next weekend and I hope my firewood is dry enough this winter.

CSS in spring and burned winter. Some ready, some wasn't. Getting ahead so it will be CSS over a year from now on, I hope.

Did burn a blow down right after CS that was dead and DRY this winter tho.

I am presently cutting up an apple for fire wood. The branches I am working on have been standing dead long enough to lose all of their bark but near the place they join the main trunk they are still green. Needless to say the green parts will likely take 2 years to be ready to burn but the stuff without any bark may be ready this fall. Every round that I split has its own need for seasoning/drying. There is no generic rule that actually works.

As I am several seasons ahead I can allow everthing to sit css for a minimum of 2 years. Even at that point there will be some species that may not be acceptable for use in my equipment. So many variables that there is no one answer. In general my rule of thumb is : soft hardwoods at least 1 year split small say about a 2x4 size,Dense hardwoods 2 years min in a 2x4. double the size of the splits = double the drying time for me. Last summer was kinda cool vs a few previous years and very humid - I have a small stack of linden which the large splits (8x8) are still wet behind the ears even though it has been sitting for 2 years .
With my stove and cheap mm - if I can get my fuel to apx 15% thats golden- 20% well it get me bye but I will be using twice as much for 1/3 the heat. That means I have to work a lot harder and frankly these old bones have hitches in the get along that protest mightily and my Buffrin bill gets out of hand.

. There is no generic rule that actually works.
I agree, it depends on wood species, what time of year it was cut, what condition the tree was in....I try to give it as long as possible. I have enough CSS to have everything drying 3 years now. Still get a sizzler once in a while...

I cut standing dead Red Oak. And, the trunk wood typically splits out at 36-39% on the MM. Split and stacked this oak will lose 3% per month on an open air pile. Puts it close to 20% in six months, and I consider that ready. I cut most of the winter season here, and like to let it season till the next winter, more or less 9 months or more. So, most of my piles are in the range of 18-20% when set afire. In a really cold winter, I have found myself with wood cut in October or November needed by February or March. That's not the plan, but it has happened.

I'm 2 years ahead...could probably get to 3 with a little effort but 2 kids makes that kinda hard. Maybe when my son gets a little older, we can get that far ahead. Burned some oak CSS 2 years ago and it was fantastic stuff. Black walnut from the same week/jobsite sizzled and popped and hissed. Moral of the story: sometimes it doesn't matter what you do.

Usually about 10 minutes.
Of course dead ash is 95% of what I'm burning.
Standin'-dead elm here... and the "woods" is my back yard so I let it season for a shorter time than you :laughing:

Disclaimer; full summer = April to November in my use of it below.

On the other hand... I've got some stuff in the stacks that'll have been there 4 or 5 full summers this fall... some was just stacked yesterday... and I'm plannin' to burn it all next heatin' season. I've burned lots of (Bur) oak after just one full summer of seasonin'... it burns fine, but burns a little better if ya' give it two years... Red Oak is a bit different, it flat needs two full summers unless ya' split it pretty small . I've burned the likes of Silver Maple, Jack Pine, and such after just a few weeks. Elm, cut green, needs at least a full summer (although I try to avoid cuttin' it green). Cherry, Hackberry, Ash and others of that sort are normally good-to-go in 3-4 months of sunny weather.

So... I guess what I'm sayin' is... before I can vote you need a "it depends" choice.

IMHO, how fast wood dries is contingent on where it is sitting. Mine sits in full expose to the sun all day and gets a lot of wind on it. Normally it's split by February for sale by fall. This year I have about 1/4 yet to be split but will be done shortly for fall.

2 years on average for everything except pine, poplar and soft maple. I am 2-3 years ahead so it just works out that way. I am fortunate to have the space to store it and the resources to stay 2-3 years ahead.

IMHO, how fast wood dries is contingent on where it is sitting. Mine sits in full expose to the sun all day and gets a lot of wind on it.
Yep... yep... and yep.
That describes my storage plan... ain't nothin' like solar energy to push the moisture out, and movin' air to carry it away.

IMHO, how fast wood dries is contingent on where it is sitting. Mine sits in full expose to the sun all day and gets a lot of wind on it. Normally it's split by February for sale by fall. This year I have about 1/4 yet to be split but will be done shortly for fall.
dang right!!!! :clap::clap:

For me it depends on what I find and when I find it. Everything I burned this year was cut in the spring. I got into a huge stash last fall and cut enough for next year so that will be 1 year wood. I haven't seen the back of my wood shed in probably 5 years or so.

Most of the wood I cut is dead on the ground and ready to burn as is. Occasionally I will get some blow down that is still green. That stuff I will let sit at least a year.

Back