How many hours is too many hours on a Vermeer Chipper???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Vermeer with 4,000 hours on it. It's a Vermeer 1000. I'm trying to figure out how much it's worth. I'm guessing $6,000 because the same thing seems to go for $10-14,000 around the web, but they only have 1,000 hours on them.

Given the fact that when this machine is new it costs $30,000, and it's lost half it's value with 1,000 hours ($10-14,000), then 4 times as many hours really ought to knock off a few more thousand dollars. So, like I said, I'm thinking $6,000, but what does anyone else think?

I'm looking at a Vermeer with 4,000 hours on it. It's a Vermeer 1000. I'm trying to figure out how much it's worth. I'm guessing $6,000 because the same thing seems to go for $10-14,000 around the web, but they only have 1,000 hours on them.

Given the fact that when this machine is new it costs $30,000, and it's lost half it's value with 1,000 hours ($10-14,000), then 4 times as many hours really ought to knock off a few more thousand dollars. So, like I said, I'm thinking $6,000, but what does anyone else think?

I think I wouldn't give 6k for a new one.

6g's isn't bad but you may have to put some $$ into it.

It has to be at least its weight in metal and not a penny more, lol

Way too many hours, doesn't matter what brand. Don't waste your money, find another.

I understand it has the placard on it. How much is that probably worth?

Dude, walk on the deal. Vermeers are made of light gauge sheet metal. It's probably bursting at the seems with that many hours. Put it to bed.

The vermeer bashing in here is comical.

Not that I was specifically bashing vermeer, as I wouldn't be caught dead buying any chipper that had 4K hours on it. But you did ask for opinions. Perhaps you already bought the POS and are looking for validation?

Hey FTA, wanna come up and make an offer on a really good Morbark? With that placard comes inspection's. I got a CARB inspection on Wednesday the 6th. Two years ago we got rid of a Morbark 13 with 2200hrs with a Cummins, sold it to a guy that has an avocado grove. He paid $4000.00 and still loves it today. CARB dont go on private property but here in SoCal, they are on the road and target towable equiptment. With that placard comes a monthly visit to your machine.
Jeff

Last edited:
The vermeer bashing in here is comical.

4000 hours is definetly alot of action on that machine. bc1000 doesnt seem to hold toghether that well, would definetly pass.

not trying to bash vermeer its just they dont seem to be up to par with the rest such as bandit and morbark.

low hp engines and cheaper construction is what i get out of it.

ive had a bc1000 and a sc352 grinder sold them both within a year.

i worked for a company that had 5-6 bandits and 1 bc1000 they aquired from buying out another company it had less than 1000 hours on it. and who ever showed up to work last ended up with it. no one wanted to use it over the others had that stupid bar on the bottom that you hit with your leg or a limb and you gotta go back and reset it every five minutes. plus if i remember correctly it came with an 80hp cummins or something of the sort.

At least I know now.

****Jeff, which year and model are you holding? I know all about the CARB rules.

Hey FTA, wanna come up and make an offer on a really good Morbark? With that placard comes inspection's. I got a CARB inspection on Wednesday the 6th. Two years ago we got rid of a Morbark 13 with 2200hrs with a Cummins, sold it to a guy that has an avocado grove. He paid $4000.00 and still loves it today. CARB dont go on private property but here in SoCal, they are on the road and target towable equiptment. With that placard comes a monthly visit to your machine.
Jeff

If you (the company you work for) are selling running Morbark 13's for around 4k, let me know whenever the next one comes up for sale. My partner and I are hunting for a 13" and up Morbark as we speak.

Vermeer always comes in way behind the other brands in terms of reviews. BC1000's are dirt cheap compared to other models of the same year, I wonder why????

4000 hours is definetly alot of action on that machine. bc1000 doesnt seem to hold toghether that well, would definetly pass.

not trying to bash vermeer its just they dont seem to be up to par with the rest such as bandit and morbark.

low hp engines and cheaper construction is what i get out of it.

ive had a bc1000 and a sc352 grinder sold them both within a year.

i worked for a company that had 5-6 bandits and 1 bc1000 they aquired from buying out another company it had less than 1000 hours on it. and who ever showed up to work last ended up with it. no one wanted to use it over the others had that stupid bar on the bottom that you hit with your leg or a limb and you gotta go back and reset it every five minutes. plus if i remember correctly it came with an 80hp cummins or something of the sort.

I wont say we are typical but… we have had great luck with the BC1800’s could be the best hand fed machine ever built. We have one with thousands of hours on it, after over 10 years, we spent 4k on it and rebuilt everything and it is like a brand new chipper, it has been sent to light duty now, it only does line clearance, but it is still a very nice chipper.
We have a woodsmen with over well over 4k hrs on it (I think its more like 8k but want to check Monday), it goes out every day and there is no end in sight for that. You need to look the machine over very carefully, if you don’t know what you are looking for, find some who does.

IMHO Morbark makes the worst designed machine out there

I'd say the Vermeer 1000 is the most popular sized/brand chipper around here. That one must make up at least half of the chipper population around here.

Back