How many of you would like to see a new STIHL 090 10 CUBE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New 090 10 cube

• Yes

Votes: 222 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have changed my mind and now want to vote "NO" in the poll. I ran my 090 with a 60" bar for the first time yesterday and it kicked my butt. The redwood was only 44" in diameter so while bucking I had to worry about where the nose of the bar was. The chain is square ground and very sharp so the saw cut easily but the overall weight just about did me in. I do have a use for a bar that long though the times are few and far between. An ASer contacted me with an offer for a 50" bar and that is what I really need most of the time.

After the work I barely had enough energy to watch "Underworld" for the 30th time.

I dont think a 10 cube would weigh any more than the regular 090 it would just have more power and be able to cut faster so at the end of the day you end up less tired. its just like using an 034 vs 036 or a 044 or 046 or 650 or 660. same chassis just different cylinder and more power

10 cube 090

Here are the pics of Wayne Suttons 10 cube. This saw weighs about the same as stock. I did not have a mic when we took it apart to see if case had been opened up for bigger cylinder..

Piston shown sitting in bore is from 66mm contra S . This bore I belive is 76mm. did not have a mic but there was a 76 stamped on top.

CIMG2805.jpg

CIMG2809.jpg

CIMG2810.jpg

CIMG2807.jpg

CIMG2812.jpg

I vote no new 090, but I'd like to see Stihl put some good AV on the 880 and some sort of air injection.

Just make the one they got less tiring to use.

Awesome pics. Thanks. Is the two piece cylinder and port work "stock"? Was the case worked to make it fit? Who wants to see an aftermarket 10 cube p/c?

found another 10 cube today. This belongs to Sam at Madsens chainsaw shop in chehalis.

My first visit to this walmart sized shop..cool place.

this 090 10 cube was on a pallet 20 foot up on a rack and they
hauled it down for me to get some pics.

Sam's story of the 10 cube was that when mcCulloch ruled the
kart tracks stihl wanted to build a motor to beat them . Not really intended
to be used in saws but seems like a few were made and only a few are still known to exist.

I knew Madsen had a 090 hotsaw but I did not know it was the 159cc till today.

mad1.jpg

mad2.jpg

mad3.jpg

mad5.jpg

mad7.jpg

mad6.jpg

That might be the most awsome saw I have ever seen. I like 090's to start with, but this is another level altogether.

That might be the most awsome saw I have ever seen. I like 090's to start with, but this is another level altogether.

I thought about trying to buy it for a couple hundred cause it was just sitting abandoned looking up on a shelf. hehe.

I realy wanted to pull it apart and get more pics and I think he would have let me too. but needed to hit the road.

when I took waynes apart he was happy to see me get get pics of his and I was actually able to share some other facts with sam about his version too.

one thing that some think is different on these is the postion of the comp button. But that button is in the same location as the 66mm jug.
what looks different is the standard 090 uses a spring and offset button.
Sams comp hole was plugged off anyway.

I have a 66mm jug JJ gave me with the same plug instead of release that was used as a racer.

speaking of cool saws,,,here is his 084 . He let me pull this one down for pics too :)

CIMG0418.jpg

CIMG0420.jpg

CIMG0442.jpg

CIMG0445.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back