How screwed am I? Frozen Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I used 3/8" clear vinyl tubing. It worked well, but I didn't push it 100' either. I just used it because it was the correct size for the $10 pond pump that I bought. I see no reason why ice maker tubing wouldn't work for a LONG distance, you'd just have to use something with the appropriate sizes to connect to the pump.

Forgot to mention

I also placed the bucket under the pipe, and just recycled the water. Mine was cleared before the water was Ice cold, but even cold water will thaw ice.

this is a longshot, but are both intake and outake of the line frozen...Im assuming your using a double line insulated pipe...

if one side was frozen and the other side wasnt, you could set thaw the frozen side by running hot water throught the unfrozen side.

Of course the odds are low that one side would freeze and the other would not...

You know, I've been a-plummin for around 40 yrs. and never tried slouch's trick!...never had toreally.

The space heater idea is the best one IMHO...let us know how you fare.

In my situation, a space heater would have done nothing. I put a forced air heater on the pipe, but the freeze was too far back to do anything.

I suppose if I left it on there for days, maybe it would have thawed the line underground, but...

maybe I'm missing something but if there is lines running up the outside of the house (even insulated) and the line is/was frozen even somewhere else...that means no water is flowing in those outside pipes...they are frozen now even if they weren't before....I'd have a plumber start there.

yup

maybe I'm missing something but if there is lines running up the outside of the house (even insulated) and the line is/was frozen even somewhere else...that means no water is flowing in those outside pipes...they are frozen now even if they weren't before....I'd have a plumber start there.

Bingo. At this point I'm frozen in that spot, guaranteed. I'm going to wait until a few days from now when it might get above freezing and try the aforementioned pump/hot water/tubing trick.

If you are talking pex lines it probably is cheaper to run new lines around the frozen ones rather than dik with the old ones only to find leaks at fittings even after you manage to thaw them. Leave the lines a bit long and plan on reconnecting in permanent routing next spring after heating season is over.

No rest for the weary

:givebeer: Jaberwky,

You need to do something sooner rather than later. The longer you wait in this temperature the bigger the problem. Stay out of Whitey's and thaw your lines this weekend.

Good luck

If you are talking pex lines it probably is cheaper to run new lines around the frozen ones rather than dik with the old ones only to find leaks at fittings even after you manage to thaw them. Leave the lines a bit long and plan on reconnecting in permanent routing next spring after heating season is over.

I've never had this problem but this sounds like the fastest solution at this point provided you've got the $.

The welder thing works, it gets used at work once in a while. The old boys don't like doing it if there's other options. They say that in the past when they did it more often, they would sometimes see very little heat in the area they wanted, and a LOT of heat in some other area.

I've not seen this phenomena myself. Electricity can do weird things though!

Spent many of my younger days as a kid going with dad in the winter going around thawing water pipes. Miller BIG 40 and hundreds of feet of cable and a bunch of clamps. Works wonders as long as its all copper and you disconnect anything spuring off it and hope like hell there is no Plastic splice somewhere(hate when you get that). I have a friend of mine that has his water line frozze right now, going over to see if the guy is there with our old welder. I'll get some pics if he is there.

Trbo

You dont see it done too much any more around here, at least not in town. Problems with the current going astray and showing up in other houses. The last I know of here requires hydro disconnect power from the house you are hooked to and they have linemen go and do checks in neighboring houses. They dont do it free anymore either!

Back On Line

I hadn't been getting any notices from the the site so I didn't realize there were people still posting. Since posting on Jan. 15th I tried running the pump after a few warm days but still nothing.

It's been in the mid to upper 30s for the better part of a week now, including overnight, so last night when I got home I turned the pump on and decided to let it run for a couple of hours. After about 3 hours I all of a sudden remembered it was running and poked my head up in the attic to feel for heat or listen for movement . BINGO! nice hot pipes. Finally!!

It was such a pleasure to be able to turn off the propane on that loop! Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

I hadn't been getting any notices from the the site so I didn't realize there were people still posting. Since posting on Jan. 15th I tried running the pump after a few warm days but still nothing.

It's been in the mid to upper 30s for the better part of a week now, including overnight, so last night when I got home I turned the pump on and decided to let it run for a couple of hours. After about 3 hours I all of a sudden remembered it was running and poked my head up in the attic to feel for heat or listen for movement . BINGO! nice hot pipes. Finally!!

It was such a pleasure to be able to turn off the propane on that loop! Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

no leaks - ????

lucky !

Back