How to find out where Stihl's are made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one has 9 digits starting 4256-----and thats the etched ones between the muff and b/c,heres a pic of it when i got it
attachment.php

I meant to say 9 in the other post. Not 7. Anyway, I can not answer your question with the first digit as a 4.

Hopefully I have this on the right thread but what about 7 digit serial numbers that begin with 8 or 9? Where were they made?

yeah right..........somehow i think the quality may be better on the US made one

a factory in usa china brazil or germany is all the same. they use the same components from all over the world and assemble it to stihl's specs. just costs less to employ people in china. now if it was some off brand chinese company producing these units, it'd be different, but it's not. for instance the ms 361 made in germany and usa has no difference in quality... just diff components for epa reasons. all built to the same quality specs.

a factory in usa china brazil or germany is all the same. they use the same components from all over the world and assemble it to stihl's specs. just costs less to employ people in china. now if it was some off brand chinese company producing these units, it'd be different, but it's not. for instance the ms 361 made in germany and usa has no difference in quality... just diff components for epa reasons. all built to the same quality specs.

Well from what i've seen there is a quality difference between factories,
Went to the dealers just the other day,
Sat a new ms381(brazil made) along side the ms460(german made)
and tell you what ,that 381 aint nothing special,
plastics ,stickers and casting is alot less in the finnish department than a german made saw ,No offence Brazil/China but i'll take the German /US ones any day:greenchainsaw:

Are you talking about the outer casting/crankcase? You mean the stickers were of different quality? What was different about the plastics?

I have a brazillian made MS380 and I can not see any visible deficiencies amongst the plastic, stickers, or castings.

Are you talking about the outer casting/crankcase? You mean the stickers were of different quality? What was different about the plastics?

I have a brazillian made MS380 and I can not see any visible deficiencies amongst the plastic, stickers, or castings.

yes crank case housing ,rough on the outside daggy edges and then painted over ,the plastic was a different finnish ,kinda dull not the usual shiney stihl finnish rough around the edges sticker lifting on one edge,over all not the same standard,could be forgiven in thinking it was a china knock off....then again it might be a one off,friday arvo special

Ok gotcha...I guess I have a few buddies that have MS380's and didn't notice any lack of quality, but we have never seen MS381's either.

Back